AHExp

The Pub

Swapping original 948 cc to a Toyota R20 engine from a Toyota pickup. Maybe even using entire driveline.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bugeye driver Butch T.
Claremore, Oklahoma, USA   USA
In discussing with a friend about a rebuild on my Bugeye sprite engine which I began some many years ago and never completed, he suggested a Toyota R20 engine would be an alternate choice to consider. It progressed into using the entire driveline making modifications as needed (e.g. cutting down axles to proper length). I am seeking feedback from anyone performing any part or all of this idea related to difficulty to perform said mutation. The donor is an R20 from a '90's model Toyota pickup. My bugeye is a 1960 and the motor has been disassembled for 20 years.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
OCDHerb Herb Goede
Colorado, USA   USA
It's your car but.... YUK.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Engine swaps done right are a wonderful thing.

The corollary to this is that engine swaps are very difficult to do and are seldom done right the first time. You just don't know enough going in to get it right.

Assuming that you are a competent welder and can fabricate stuff and have a shop full of tools...Locating and fastening the engine in place is the easy and cheap part of the project. You will need to alter the transmission tunnel to make room and be sure that the new one is structurally equivalent to what you took out

Radiator
Exhaust
Rear End
Brakes
Wiring
Fuel tank (maybe)

Are some of the things that you will need to address. Most likely need to design and fabricate these systems yourself. The admission that you have not been able to assemble a 948 cc engine in 20 years makes me wonder if you want to take on a conversion.

The easy button for you would be to obtain a 1275 Midget engine and a 5 speed conversion kit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Limey Disease Avatar
Limey Disease Michael Breed
Vestavia Hills, Alabama, USA   USA
My 948 and the transmission were stolen. The 1275 option is a good suggestion. That is the route that I am taking with the Rivergate conversion. What are your plans for the 948?

EdReiss Ed Reiss
Carrollton, TX, USA   USA
I have a straight stock 948 Bugeye (to be restored with a 1098 and rivergate 5 speed) and a 1956 BN-2 with the Toyota 20R (bought it that way). Th 20R engine is a reasonable (size and power) swap for the 100-4 engine but I think it is way too big for a bug-eye. Swapping the entire driveline may be problematic too since the transmssion s too big for the Bugeye transmission tunnel. BTW - it's the transmission used in the 5speed conversions for the big healey. Beware the truck transmission has poor gear ratios for a car. Great for a truck, not so good for cars. Suziki has a 1.5 liter engine that seems to fit the Bugeye well. Check it out here http://www.ado13.com/dohczuke/dohc.htm Toyota has engines in the 1 to 1.5 liter size that would fit better in a Bugeye also. The 20R is about 2.2 L and while that would seem better than 1.5, power-wise the smaller engines are much newer technology and crank out more power.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links