Seat mounting

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
In the Moment/Anderson restoration guide, they mention rectangular metal strips that go under the wooden packing pieces for the seat runners. Does anyone know what size and thickness they are, and more to the point what purpose they serve? I see no such strips shown in Moss' or VB's illustrations.

Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day Jack,
The strips give more support to the wooden packing pieces. I got mine from Kilmartin Automotive Sheetmetal.

Jack T Avatar
Thanks Alwyn. That makes sense - so the narrow wood pieces don't cut through the padding. I'll have to make some up if I can't find them over here.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
GSC George Clark
Oxford, Maryland, USA   USA
Hello JackT,
I got my packing strips from TOM'S TOYS. The old wood packing strips rot with the moist carpet. Tom's sells aluninium strips with an under steel strip
Regards,
George

Jack T Avatar
Thanks George. Excellent info on Tom's site. Now I know I'm headed in the right direction.

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, California, USA   USA
I've always wondered why they installed those metal strips. The idea that they protect the wood from rotting from the wet carpets doesn't sound right because they don't mount on top of the carpets. The carpets have a slit to allow them to fit around the sides of the entire seat slider mechanism. I don't remember if they originally sat on top of the tarpaper or if the tarpaper also was cut out and they sat directly on the metal floor pans. Maybe they were a moisture barrier between the tarpaper and wood. About the only other thing I can see they do is raise the seats about 1/16" and that doesn't make sense.

Jack T Avatar
I think the description on Tom's Toys site makes the most sense - that they add some stiffness to the floor pan. I plan to put them on top of the Dynaliner that I'm using instead of tar paper, and cut the jute and carpet around the seat tracks. That way I'll have a solid connection, with only the Dynaliner sandwiched between the parts. Since it does not absorb water, the connection should remain stable.

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Shore, Jersey, USA   USA
Hi Jack,

Although the real reasoning/logic behind Healey placing these metal strips under the seat runners has, to date, eluded me. However, since they have been installed in so many Healey models, I would expect that if they were not needed, the practice and manufacturing expense would have been discontinued.

When I replaced these strips in the mid to late 1980s, I actually created these simple strips from a sheet of galvanized using a rusted survivor as a pattern. I selected galvanized sheet metal to help defer any development of rust as a result of any moisture retention in the encompassing rug. I also painted each strip black (black rugs, black seats, runners black) to further seal the cut edges as well as allow the strips to optically disappear .

Over the years since, I have been caught in a few rain storms as well as experienced a number of spills and rug clean-ups and these strips remain as I originally installed.

good luck,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

Jack T Avatar
Hi Ray.

Yep, we're thinking the same here. If I don't have any 16 ga. stock handy I know I have plenty of 20. Two thicknesses of 20 ga. will be slightly thicker than one of 16. Easier to cut, too. I'm also considering substituting aluminum pieces for the wood packing after following the link to Tom's Toys as mentioned by George.

Thanks for the post.

Jack

GSC George Clark
Oxford, Maryland, USA   USA
Hello JackT,
Does the car have new seat rails or the old ones still in place? Did you take the old Seat rails out yet? I am doing the same job on my BJ8 right now. I Dynamated then Dynalinered the floor, but around the support. If your Seat rails are old, chances are they will not come out without shearing off the studs. Plan on new seat rails.
Regards,
George

Jack T Avatar
Thanks George.

Yes, I'm installing new rails. The floors have been replaced, and I think one or two of the original rails may be in a box somewhere. The others have gone on to another life. Probably sheared the studs when removing them decades ago.

I'm going with just the Dynaliner, 1/4" on the floor and toe boards, 1/8" on the vertical surfaces. Make sure you tape all of your joints well; a friend had to pull the Dynamat Xtreme back out of his E-Type when water got between it and the floors.

Jack

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Shore, Jersey, USA   USA
Jack/George,

Although I initially sheared off some of the seat rail studs, I drilled all out and replaced them with Stainless Steel alloy studs to eliminate future corrosion. After drilling the old studs out, I installed and tacked the heads to the rails, ground down the stud heads when necessary to assure I has sufficient slide clearance and repainted all. I also repainted the original Asbestos insulation to seal under the floor to seal it and then covered it with a sheet of stainless. This process has allowed better heat reflection and floor insulation then original and lasted to date.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

e653666 Avatar
e653666 Glen P
Mentor, ohio, USA   USA
If using Dynamat on the floor of healeys , make sure like Jack says , Tape all Joints very well as to provide a complete floor seal - I was told by a very reputable healey restoration expert that to never put Dynamat on the floor as it will promote rust if the car ever gets rained on . Thats why the carpet was meant to come out and unsnap , so you could hang it up and let it dry.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links