Shifter Bushing Question

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Signature65 Darren S
Huntington Beach, CA, USA   USA
Hey I'm resealing my gearbox/overdrive on my 61 and I'm a lil confused on the shifter bushing. After reassembly its binding up. Does anyone have a picture how the split bronze bushing is supposed to be seated. Also does the shifter on the BJ8 have a larger ball at the bottom of the lever? I have a center shift and I'm wondering if it came out of a BJ8 at some point. I attached a couple pictures. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    44.8 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    49.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Darren,
I just replaced my bushing 2 weeks ago. It looks like you have a center shift gearbox in your car as opposed to the side shift it originally came with. If you look in the Moss parts catalog I think you will find with the center shift transmission you should be using a "NYLON" bushing. Where as the earlier side shift transmissions use the bronze one. Anyway I had to get out the Dremmel tool and open up the internal hole to get it to fit correctly over the ball on the end of the shift lever. Once that was done it went in quite nicely to the hole in the gear lever socket. I was given this small piece of information from Healey mechanic that has been working on these cars for over 45 years.
Pete

MarkS Avatar
MarkS Mark S
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
Hi
There are 2 types of gear lever for the centre shift. One has a larger ball at the end which is for later cars and the other has a small ball at the end. The one with the small ball is for the bronze bush and the other is for the nylon bush. Send the bronze bush back and order the nylon. I can supply photos of both levers if you like.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
1961 Austin-Healey 3000 BT7 "RUBY"
1963 Chevrolet C10 "Rusty"
Thank you Mark. I never fail to learn something new everyday.
Pete
rusty1c

Signature65 Darren S
Ya Mark. This seems like a good thing to be put in the technical section. Trial and error worked for me and it's all back together. But maybe moss can put a note on their catalogue or something. Thanks everyone for the help. Hopefully with the title the search function will help future confused home mechs like i was.

Chris-D Avatar
Chris-D Chris D
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hey, love to see the pics!
Best
Chris

Indian301 David Grassi
Kingman, Arizona, USA   USA
I am servicing a 1966 AH 3000. BJ8L36..... The shifter seems. loose. Can the bushing be replaced with the trans in the car? Bronze or nylon?

Thanks, Dave

Signature65 Darren S
Ya the bushing in a centershift unit is pretty straight forward to replace. The Nylon bushing is the one you need.

Indian301 David Grassi
Kingman, Arizona, USA   USA
Great, Thanks

e653666 Avatar
e653666 Glen P
Mentor, ohio, USA   USA
Hey Pete,

while were on this subject about shifters , specifically side shifters, i have a BT7 side shift . The shifter seems tight after all (3) nuts are tightened down . Once I loosen them up, then the shifter moves with ease through the gears , however then the nuts are loose enough that it really is not tightened down or finished. It almost seems that if you incorporated a nylon ring washer that would go on before fastening the (3) nuts down that would have less friction that the existed metal round plate washer with the (3) holes. Keep in mind that this is a new rebuilt trans and gear box . Your Thoughts ?? Thank you, Glen

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Glen, it sounds like you may be missing the three distance pieces that fit onto the studs before installing the shifter retainer.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links