paint

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

paint
Dalry, Ayrshire, UK   GBR
I am restoring a 3000 bj8 and like the Anniversary champagne gold colour. can anyone tell me what colour of primer was used under the paint please?

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
I did a little research and copied this from another Healey site. Check with your painter for samples.
The ICI paint code for Golden Beige Metallic BG-19 should be ICI 3006M. With one or both of those numbers, your paint shop should be able to get a PPG mixture.
Dave

Many thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
That still won't tell you what color primer was used. If you want the gold to be a bit lighter use a gray or white primer. A little darker, use a black primer. Most paint suppliers will tint a white primer to match the color of the paint if you ask them. Which is really a good idea since when we get stone chips it usually chips the paint and not the primer underneath. That way when you do get a chip the primer underneath is the same color as the paint and the chips don't show nearly as much. It also helps during the painting process because if you are a little thin in places with the paint the primer will help hide any flaws.
Pete

FANTASTIC ADVICE.smileys with beersmileys with beer Thank you. this is exactly the information I was looking for,.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out The paint shop has beige primer i will get that.

The very kindest of regards

Margaret x

PatrickBJ8 Patrick Yoas
Holly Lake Ranch, Texas, USA   USA
I searched for the correct color when I did mine and wanted a base coat Clear coat paint that matched the original single stage paint. The primer to make it work was a white sealer.

Thanks

I did buy white primer but decided to change it to the beige as rusty 1c advised, makes sense about the paint chips, our roads are awful for loose stones. but thank you for your comment.

canada healey Ian Searle
Port Mcnicoll, Ontario, Canada   CAN
most british cars had grey primer when i restored my BJ7 with original paint it was the same grey primer (in that error only grey and red oxide were the available primers] ian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links