AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Dashboard Replacement
  This topic is about my 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8
JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Dear All,

I've just bought a new RHD set of timber dashboards for my BJ8 and the chrome trims to go with it. My existing Dash has chips and marks and what's more the left hand side (glove box) sits a bit lower than the right for some reason. So I'm going to try and fix all this once and for all. My question is, can anyone steer me towards a step by step guide to removing the Dash, instruments etc? It will be the biggest job I've done on the car ever and I'm understandably nervous.

Thoughts? Tips?

As always, much appreciated in advance.

Regards

John.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ozhealey Avatar
ozhealey Tony P
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
John,

I have a BJ7, however my friend converted his BJ8 to RHD and obviously replaced the dash in the process. This video was certainly watched by him a few times if i recall correctly and may be of assistance even though it is for a LHD car:

There are also a bunch of useful photos on the associated website:

http://owenauto.ca/category/restoration/

Also old forum discussions:

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?84744-Removal-and-Refinishing-BJ8-Wood-Dashboard

http://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/archive/index.php/t-55701.html

With a bit of patience and care I'm sure you'll knock it over.

Good Luck
Tony

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-12 01:59 AM by ozhealey.

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Thanks for the links. I've had a look at them and am definitely going to attempt to do it myself. One thing which I just heard was the chrome surrounds around the timber that I had ordered are out of stock. Does anyone know if these are reusable, as the existing ones seem fine on my car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
The chrome trims are only held on by small screws into the edge of the dashboard timber so no reason they shouldn't be reused if ok.

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Thanks Steve! Actually false alarm AH Spares found a set anyway and they're being sent out. Hopefully will arrive next week. Attached is a photo update, I can't for the life of me get the choke out. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am so frustrated I posted another topic on this alone.

Attachments:
Dash All but choke removed..jpg    46.7 KB
Dash All but choke removed..jpg

oppie Avatar
oppie Gold Member Don Oppliger
Lenexa, Kansas, USA   USA
Johnny if you haven't already figured it out, you must disconnect the choke cable at the firewall then the dash will be free or at least as far as the choke cable is concerned.

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Guys thank you all for your help. Finally got this back together with your help. Bought some new instrument bezels as well. See photos below.

Attachments:
IMG_1111.jpg    43.2 KB
IMG_1111.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg    33.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1119.jpg    44.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Top job John, well done!

oppie Avatar
oppie Gold Member Don Oppliger
Lenexa, Kansas, USA   USA
Beautiful job Johnny,
How long would you say it took you to do the job and did you remove the dash in one section?
I need to remove mine because when I replaced the outer heater controls I don't think I got everything
reconnected properly inside.
Don

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Thanks for the compliments. Don, I had a nasty situation where the glovebox was sitting lower than the instrument panel. i suspect this was because it had been installed in three pieces. It came apart in three pieces however I took pains to line up the new dash on the bench and put it back in in one piece. (See pic) V important I think to have a soft cloth down to not scratch it.

I did cheat, we are in a warm climate and the heater has never worked in the car anyway, so I carefully disconnected the cables and rolled them at the back of the facia. This allowed me to get the heather controls to sit cosmetically perfect in the facia without trying to connect them with the dash half in and out. I estimate 20 hours work in total over 4 weekends, it was enjoyable and I took my time.

Attachments:
IMG_5388.JPG    57.3 KB
IMG_5388.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links