AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bullittgt Avatar
bullittgt jim q
whitesboro, ny, USA   USA
Hello All
I have looked high and lo for the ignition points dwell angle specification for my 66 bj8. I have gapped them at .015 for now but I would like to optimize this adjustment using my dwell meter if I only knew the angle.
Any Help is appreciated.
Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
A quick google, I'll check my books later..

http://austin-healeys.com/big-healey-ignition-system-details/

Bill F BJ7 Avatar
Bill F BJ7 Bill Fulcher
Dorking, Surrey, UK   GBR
The workshop manual specifies 35 +/- 3 deg.
Bill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bullittgt Avatar
bullittgt jim q
whitesboro, ny, USA   USA
Hi Bill
Thank you for looking into this for me.I have the factory workshop manual and didnt see anything about dwell on any of the models.
Do you mind if I ask what manual you found the dwell spec? In my web search I only found one site that offered this information... Dwell angle 35 deg. ?3 deg
It appears as a typo to me so I didnt trust the info. This is also the total ignition advance specification,
Thanks
Jim

Bill F BJ7 Avatar
Bill F BJ7 Bill Fulcher
Dorking, Surrey, UK   GBR
Hi Jim,
The info came from the BMC Service Limited Workshop Manual, General Data page13, copy (I hope) attached. 35 +/- 3 would be right for a typical 6cyl engine and I think it's just a coincidence that max advance is the same. Setting the points, or checking your setting, by dwell angle is ultimately a more accurate method than relying only on gap but I confess I've never tried it and have long since gone over to the dark electronic side of ignition. However, I always carry a set of points and condenser for when the gremlins arrive. Oddly the manual doesn't give a D/A figure for the BN4 or BN6 although it must be the same. Hope this helps. Bill

Attachments:
WIN_20170715_11_03_12_Pro.jpg    16.7 KB
WIN_20170715_11_03_12_Pro.jpg

WIN_20170715_11_38_57_Pro.jpg    18.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
PatrickBJ8 Patrick Yoas
Holly Lake Ranch, Texas, USA   USA
Replace the points with a Pertronix and you won't have to ever adjust dwell or points again.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links