AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

BJ8 Choke Removal
  This topic is about my 1966 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8
JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Friends, I'm in the process of replacing the dash on my BJ8. See attached where I'm up to. I've gotten the dreadful water temp gauge out, which was a mess, but am totally stuck on the Choke. I can't seem to get the cable loosened on the engine side and the nut holding the choke in place is so recessed into the dash I can't get any purchase on it. Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Dash All but choke removed..jpg    46.7 KB
Dash All but choke removed..jpg

SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Hi, for the nut I used a short box spanner and cut a slot in it to go over the cable. The nut wasn't that tight so didn't need more then my hand to lever it. What part of the engine side are you trying to undo? It should only be a small bolt/screw in the splitter (where it connects to 2 cables) close to the bulkhead that needs to be undone.

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Steve thanks that's a great idea on the box spanner. Do you happen to know the size of the spanner/nut and I'll go out at lunch today and buy one.

Re The Choke Cable, it's bizarre, the single cable is held into the splitter by two very thin nuts, I should have taken a photo. I can't get them loose and if I apply too much tension the entire splitter rotates and is risking damaging the two cables to the carbs on the other side.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
Here is a photo of the two nuts holding the cable. You can see I am damaging the cable twisting. Any thoughts on how to get this off? Never seen anything like it.

Attachments:
Choke Splitter Issue.jpg    42.1 KB
Choke Splitter Issue.jpg

ozhealey Avatar
ozhealey Tony P
Canberra, ACT, Australia   AUS
John,

I assume the BJ8 choke assembly (in the engine bay) is the same as a BJ7. It looks like the bolt which clamps down on the master choke cable has sheared off and the locking nut is all that is left on top of the block (as well as the sheared piece of bolt clamping the nut).

I have attached a picture of the BJ7 assembly.

Cheers
Tony

Attachments:
IMG_0262.JPG    53.1 KB
IMG_0262.JPG

SteveT3000 Avatar
SteveT3000 Steve Townsend
Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Typically i can't find the box spanner i slotted but from memory i think the nut was 5/8 AF size.

Your splitter set up looks odd. Maybe as Tony says the bolt has sheared leaving only the locknut and the broken bit thats holding the cable. Might need a fine hacksaw under the nut head and then the broken bit might screw out once the nuts off? They aren't usually that tight but many people overtighten these things down on cables, its not necessary.

good luck with it. if you need more pics then shout.

raschwar Avatar
raschwar Richard Schwartz
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Not highly technical but I'd try to grab the flats of the recessed dash nut with a pair of needle nosed pliers and spin it. I have a pair of needle nosed that are bent at about 80 degrees I reckon straights would work too. You only need to get the first turn loose enough to spin.

For the cable block: Rust buster then hold the block with a set of channel locks or vise grips and try to turn the nut. To move things along can you cut the main cable at the block? That will free up your dash and make the block easier to manipulate.

A bit crude but effective.

Rick

JohnnyO Avatar
JohnnyO John Oppenheim
All thank you for your advice. It was a sheared off bolt, so I drilled it out and the cable came loose. I have bitten the bullet and bought a new choke. I had to leave it in the dash until I pulled it out as there was a metal bracket blocking the box spanner from getting in. So now the hard part begins!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000 BT7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links