Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Radio
LoveHealeys Brian Laine
Arlington, Washington, USA   USA
Hello forum. I'm a new member, but enjoy my BJ8 and Bugeye.

The radio in my car is shown in the picture. It works, but one of the nylon gears is broken. I'd like to keep the radio (original dealer installed and it's positive ground). However, there are no model markings on the radio. Does anyone else have a similar radio that can help me identify the model number so I can attempt to find parts? Or better yet, does anyone have a similar (working or not) radio that they could sell me so I could rob the parts I need?

Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_2410.JPG    45.8 KB
IMG_2410.JPG

Hawkwell Man Avatar
Hawkwell Man Frank Rush
Hockley, Essex, UK   GBR
Hello Brian

Try to contact Colin@agenta.co.uk with your photo ond problem.

He repairs classic radios and I believe will be able to help you.

he has a website. agentaaudio.co.uk

I would guess your radio is a Smiths

Good luck Frank

LoveHealeys Brian Laine
Arlington, Washington, USA   USA
Thanks Frank.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
e653666 Avatar
e653666 Glen P
Mentor, ohio, USA   USA
Hey Frank or anybody else for that matter . Do you know what brand of radios were put into AH 3000's in the 1959 era ?

San Jose, California, USA   USA
These people: http://www.sacramentoradioexpo.com/ repaired the radio in my dad's '55 T-Bird. Can recommend unequivocally.

Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 195685 by e653666 Hey Frank or anybody else for that matter . Do you know what brand of radios were put into AH 3000's in the 1959 era ?

I don't believe there was ever any radio installed by the factory back then. Anything would have been dealer installed. There are several companies making period-looking units with modern guts out there.

Not sure where you'd put a radio in an early car--the parcel shelf?

FWIW, here's what was in my '67 BJ8 when I bought it:

Attachments:
radio.JPG    44.9 KB
radio.JPG

Joe A. Joseph Amodea
Oceanside, New York, USA   USA
The radio in my 1965-bulilt BJ8, which entered the US through Texas and was registered in 1966, has the same radio in it as Bob's above. made, I believe, by Motorola.

Attachments:
BJ8-Radio-L.jpg    44.7 KB
BJ8-Radio-L.jpg

e653666 Avatar
e653666 Glen P
Mentor, ohio, USA   USA
My radio was installed under the heater box and had a built in speaker below it . Can"t remember the name of it , but will check and post to see if others had any of the same make installed .

Re: Radio
Teapot Julian Taylor
Gibsons, BC, Canada   CAN
1963 Austin-Healey 3000 ~ For Sale ! ~
OK, so a "period" radio is one thing, but is there such a thing as a "period" aerial?

Here's the one that came, presumably, with the BMC radio installed in my BJ8:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 11:19 PM by Bob Spidell.

Attachments:
bj8antenna.JPG    39.5 KB
bj8antenna.JPG

Joe A. Joseph Amodea
Oceanside, New York, USA   USA
The antenna that was on my car when I bought it in 1995 was like the one above but without the spring. Fully collapsed it was still approximately two-feet tall which tends to interfere when using a car cover. Some would say such antennae are not particularly aesthetically pleasing unless carrying stuffed dice or perhaps a fox tail. winking smiley

Back in the 1960s at least, it was not uncommon for people to replace antennae as they would get broken off by people with little else to do . . . or just to improve appearance. I replaced mine back then with electric retractable antennae on two cars I owned. Often electric retractible antennae would be supplied when upgrading to a high-end radio such as a Becker or Blaupunkt.

There were then and are now, simple retractible antennae that are spring-loaded at the bottom end (no motor needed) and I have recently switched to one such type:

Back in the 1960s, people also did this:

Attachments:
antenna.jpg    26.1 KB
antenna.jpg

sliproc Avatar
sliproc Kevin Quistberg E
Long Beach, california, USA   USA
Bob,

Now I'd call that "period correct"!

grahamnsa1 Avatar
grahamnsa1 Graham Hill
Destin, Florida, USA   USA
My 1967 BJ8 has a Becker Europa TR radio. This car was bought from the original owner who acquired it in Arizona. He said this is what the car came with. All document with car go back to that date

Attachments:
Becker.jpg    64.8 KB
Becker.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links