Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

highoctanesj Avatar
highoctanesj Chris Scafario
Moorestown, NJ, USA   USA
Does anyone have experience running aftermarket headers on their Healey?

I would be curious to hear of any pros and cons, what make is preferred and is there a noticeable increase in temperature during normal road usage?

As always thanks for your input!

Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
In reply to # 194755 by originality Does anyone have experience running aftermarket headers on their Healey?

I would be curious to hear of any pros and cons, what make is preferred and is there a noticeable increase in temperature during normal road usage?

As always thanks for your input!

Chris

Hello Chris -

As a rule, anything to help incoming or exiting flow within the Healey's engine is a big improvement. I've had the custom race headers on my '57 100-6 MM for years.
I had them sand blasted and ceramic coated when new to contain the heat. Power increase was noticeable in the low end torque range, the sound increased due to the race exhaust system I fabricated at the same time. Kirk Manufacturing makes a nice street header for Healey's, I think it's worth it if you're not concerned with origanality. http://www.kirkracing.com/

Attachments:
Racer Headers.jpg    49.4 KB
Racer Headers.jpg

San Jose, California, USA   USA
Dougie,

Do you think the 'short stacks' on your carbs add much HP?

Bob

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
In reply to # 194760 by Bob Spidell Dougie,

Do you think the 'short stacks' on your carbs add much HP?

Bob

Hi Bob -

At the time of that pic, the cam I was running had the short stack ram pipes showing the highest HP on the dyno. With time and further development and new cam, timimg, carb adjustments, my new larger 3" ram pipes are the shi.....t.

Attachments:
'57 Motor Intsall 2017.jpg    88.6 KB
'57 Motor Intsall 2017.jpg

'57 Motor:Carbs 2017.jpg    76.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
highoctanesj Avatar
Dougie,

Thanks for the source! I just ordered my headers this morning.
Your engine is pretty mean! Would you recommend any other performance upgrades worth pursuing for more of a fast road car build?
So far, the rebuild to my original block has included a 20 over bore, high speed balancing, a rebuild of the head, my cam being reground to a slightly more aggressive BJ8 spec, the headers, and plans of jetting up the carbs and adding an electronic ignition.
Most of what I would really be after is low end power for real world road usage.

Thanks again!

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Chris -

Sounds like you're putting a nice performance street Healey together. Now that you have the back end flowing well, I suggest this "free flowing" intake manifold. With the new headers and additional upgrades this will make a big difference. Oh, just forgot, if you have lightened the flywheel, you can take an easy 10-15 lbs off it, remain very "streetable" but have a quick reving Big Healey machine.

http://www.ahperformanceparts.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/Fuel-Engine-Bay/FAST-FLOW-INLET-MANIFOLD-2.aspx#.WbH6SUqGMy4

highoctanesj Avatar
Dougie,

I followed your advice and ordered the intake. Thanks! I am also planning to see what I can do with my fly wheel.

Your experience and knowledge have been very helpful!

Chris

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
That's great, most good machine shops car do this. Here's some info that might help.

http://www.britishcarweek.org/flywheel.html

Best

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
Chris,
Toms Import Toy Sales in Portland Oregon offers lightened flywheels for a really reasonable price, $160.00. They have them in stock and there is no sales tax added to the price.

http://tomsimport.com/new/index.asp

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links