Austin Healey BJ8 Mark 111 - removing doors

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

71YD Silver Member James M
West Hills, CA, USA   USA
When removing the doors, I removed the 8 screws holding the hinge to the pillar. I thought about trying to remove the hinge pin, but saw that Moss does not have replacement pins. Was I correct or should I have removed the pin instead of the complete door hinge? On the reinstall would it be better to use the hinge pin? I did make up some alignment pins for setting the hinge up against the pillar. Concerned about scratching the paint. Thank for your reply.

James

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Shore, Jersey, USA   USA
Hi James,

As far as I know, you are correct. Marking hinge locations and shim (if present) positions is something I have done if I want to maintain existing door alignment. Although recording hinge placement for reinstallation provided a good initial positioning, in most cases, my reason for removing the door was to remove the front fender/door alignment was often necessary. However, recording hinge placement often provided a good starting position for the process.

Hope this helps,
Ray(64BJ8P1).

Thanks for the response Ray.

I'm removing the Fenders and Doors to get it painted and install new beading.
My question is, When removing or installing the Doors wouldn't it be better to use the hinge pin.( Use a pin punch and punch it out)? I have had the doors off a number of times, but never attempted to remove the hinge pin. ( a new hinge pin is not available from Moss). I have always removed the Door and complete Hinge in one piece. Using the hinge pin seems safer on the reinstall but never tried it.
Thanks for you help
James

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Shore, Jersey, USA   USA
Hi James,

I have never removed the hinge pins as they were installed to be permanent. Although you can find a way to remove the hinge pins, since there are no issues with them, I would not suggest you potentially introduce a divergent problem into your project when fender and door realignment may still require repositioning of the hinges onto the jams. Yes, time would reduced if the pins could be pulled and all going back as prior. However, this is not your situation and, as previously mentioned, as soon as you remove and add new beading to the fenders, they will be in a slightly different place that I expect you will need to address.

In short, I would suggest you leave the pins in place ... especially if you are also going to remove or readjust the front fender.

All the best,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

healeymanjim james shope
henderson, nevada, USA   USA
rebuilt my hinge pins a few years back as they were worn. they have to be pressed out and it took a pretty hefty press to do it. drilled out the holes and rebushed with bronze bushings and used 5/16 drill stock for pins. took out all the slop.

Thanks Ray and James,

Removing the complete hinge. That's what I thought. But being a novice I wanted to make sure. My hinge pins seem to be in good condition.

I would like to share how I removed the doors by myself. Without scratching the paint.

I took two 1 1/2" long 5/16"-24 bolts and cut the head off. Ran a 5/16"-24 die over it to thread the whole shank. Ended up with a 1 1/2" piece of all thread.

Removed one flat head screw from the top and bottom hinge, and replaced it with the all thread. Screwed a nut on it for security.

Then removed the remaining flat head screws.

The all thread provided a platform so the door could be easily pulled straight out without scratching the fender.

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, California, USA   USA
James, you did good. Use those headless studs when you reinstall the doors. Also if you have a floor jack, use it under the door to position the door when you put the doors back on. You'll get really good at removing and installing the doors before you're done.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links