Starting Issue

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MechChallenged Mike McAndrews
Ashland, Oregon, USA   USA
Any and All, Full restoration of a 62 3000 Tri-Carb almost finished with one significant glitch, balky starting, particularly when hot. Push starter button and clicks but doesn't want to turn over. Seems to be getting worse. New battery and wiring. I'm NOT a mechanic. Help here? Starter motor? Engine strap to chassis? Solenoid? I don't want to have to park the car on a hill every time I go somewhere. All suggestions appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0665.jpg    53.1 KB
IMG_0665.jpg

bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
Mike,
One of the best changes I made to my 1960 BT7 was to install a new gear reduction starter, about $200. They are not difficult to install; it took me 20 minutes. Your gas station mechanic should be able to do it. My car starts immediately even when the engines is cold or there is some vapor lock.
Dave

San Jose, California, USA   USA
"Starter motor? Engine strap to chassis? Solenoid?"

Could be any or all of the above. My guess is starter, but could also be the solenoid. If your starter has more than 100K miles on it and if you prefer to keep your car original your starter can be rebuilt. Mine wouldn't crank my new engine with increased compression, but after an overhaul it cranks nearly as well as the one on my Mustang GT. Star Auto did the rebuild: starautoelectric.com (he also rebuilt my generator).

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mudbob Avatar
mudbob Bob Greenslade
Roseville, CA, USA   USA
I had a similar issue on my 100-6 and ended up burning up my starter due to low voltage. Check your voltage at the solonoid, if it's low it could be the ground/ positive braided strap in the trunk. I hadn't replaced mind during the rebuild and it was corroded where I couldn't see it. I just eliminated the on/off switch in the trunk and that fixed the problem after getting the started rebuilt.

MechChallenged Mike McAndrews
Ashland, Oregon, USA   USA
Much appreciated.

Britcarsource Bobby R
Knoxville, TN, USA   USA
I have been into Healeys for over 50 years. You can't believe how many owners that do not know a Healey will turn over better it you leave the clutch out. However, you must have the transmission in neutral plus, have the emergency brake on or you could have trouble.

CPBOL Chris Bollinger
Mentor, OH, USA   USA
What has changed since it started okay last time? Think hard.

I had difficulty with my BJ8 starting when hot when I had the timing advanced a degree or two too far. If you have set the timing recently, try backing it off 1-2 degrees.

raschwar Avatar
raschwar Richard Schwartz
Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
Same problem after engine rebuild. Heavier duty starter fixed it.

brianbj7 brian chandler
kamloops, bc, Canada   CAN
Had problems getting the engne to turn over, had the starter rebuilt, still no luck.
Finally came down to poor rotor in the starter motor (this did not show up during the rebuild, only when under full load of trying to start the engine) , so bought a new rotor and the starter motor has no problem now.

I agree the 3000 engine turns over much easier with the clutch engaged and gearbox in neutral (hand brake on)

brian

San Jose, California, USA   USA
The guy who rebuilt my BJ8's starter--Mike Martinez at Star Auto Electric--told me he always replaces the rotor as a matter of course. He uses either new or rebuilt rotors (as available, I presume).

NFI.

Bob

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links