Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

asamp andrew sampson
surrey, bc, Canada   CAN
Good Day All,

I'm setting up the cam timing on a 3000 mk1. All the manuals say to use the gold links on the chain to set the timing, most replacement chains and the old chain from the engine do not have the gold links anymore. I believe there should be 13 full links on the short side between the gold links, can anyone confirm ? 1 tooth off would be a bad day.

Thanks in advance

Andrew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
asamp andrew sampson
surrey, bc, Canada   CAN
I found the answer in the archives.....Many thanks all

You need to have 13 links between he
dots on the opposite side of the timing chain tensioner. This would work out to 15
links total from dot to dot. The easiest way to set it up is to lay the chain out on
the bench and mark one link with WhiteOut, then count out 13 links and mark the
next link with the WhiteOut. Then mark the two dots on the gears, then install the
chain with all the white marks and dots lined up with the short side opposite the
tensioner, also you should reference the service manual page A16.”

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Hello -

- the write-up is correct. When standing in front of the motor, the links of the chain and the dimples on the gears will be on the right (driver) side of the cam and crank shafts opposite the tensioner. If you count the links that straddle both of the dimples, there needs to be a total of 15 links of timing chain between them. This is the correct position of the cam & crank. I have attached a picture of my 6 cylinder recently apart to replace the front plate and seals.

You can see the two dimples and the 15 links between them (including them). Hope that helps. I know the dimples on a lot of MG's are mated up , but these engines are different. Best.

Darin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1968 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links