Original Color

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Westampton, NJ, USA   USA
Hello again,

Got my heritage certificate for my 62 BJ7 yesterday and as I suspected it was originally Healey blue. It is red now and I am going to do a complete color change. I had suspected the original color was Healey Blue so I have already changed the color on the frame, floor boards, inner fenders, etc. I did not know that the heritage trust kept records of the original color. Previously I had been told there was no way of discerning original color. I decided to paint the chassis blue based on some spots of blue I found inside the doors, and inside the engine compartment. I was quite relieved to see the certificate agreed with my detective work.

So, my question is this... If the coves were old english/ivory white, would that also be on the certificate? or was that an option that could be ordered post manufacture? The reason I ask is that the inside of the trunk (boot) and underside of the rear shroud are white. Not sure if its ivory white but some kind of white. Did the two tone extend into the trunk? I once saw this detail on an old Corvette, the cove color was used inside the trunk. Nice effect. Did Healey do this also?

Also, the certificate reads Healey Blue which surprised me, since its a nickname for Metallic Ice Blue. I would have thought the Heritage Trust would use the factory specification.

BTW, Metallic Ice Blue was a popular color for Fender Strats in the 50s and 60s. I have some friends who are old rock and rollers who would argue that I am painting my car Sratocaster Blue.

Thanks,

Steve

62 MK II BJ7

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Davidbh David H
Dalbeattie, Kircudbrightshire, UK   GBR
My heritage certificate mentioned two tone. To my knowledge the secondary colour was only on the outside.

Good luck with the repaint.

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, California, USA   USA
The certificate for my 1960 BT7 showed both colors, white over black. The coves were painted only on the outside with the exception of the places where the doors, fenders and rear wheel wheel metal roll inwards. Certainly a dealership could have had the coves painted when the car arrived based on the request of the buyer or if the dealer thought it would sell better in two tone.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
My 61 BT7 was originally "Ivory White with Black coves' as stated on the Heritage certificate. When I got the car it was Healey Blue. Upon disassembly I only found white everywhere, no sign of black.
Pete

DerekJ Avatar
DerekJ Derek Job
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Healey Blue is the correct factory name for the colour. If it was two tone it would be stated on the certificate. As others have said the lower colour is only on the outside, it just rolls inside the door edges so that it looks correct finished. Its an easy add on if you decide to go two tone.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

603000 Daniel S
Addison, Illinois, USA   USA
On big Healey roadsters. A paint feature that is sometimes missed after a nice, back to factory, paint job is to paint the lower flange lip that the rivets go through to affix the rear shroud to the chassis. This, approx 3/4 inch tall, lip was painted matte black at the factory to hid the riveted lip that extends down past the body at the lower rear shroud. Dan Samyn

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, California, USA   USA
I agree with the matte black on the lower edge of the rear shroud strip. I also painted the lower strip on the sides of the car ( where the fender and outer sills meet the frame) matte black. I know that's not original, but I think it gives the car a sleeker look.

One more suggestion. Don't have the coves painted until you get all the fenders mounted and adjusted. The swage lines on the fender/door panels are not perfectly aligned so you can't just use them to establish the separation between the two colors. If you want an example of what can happen if you paint the panels off the car, expand the photo of my car and look at the line between the rear of the front fender and the front of the left door. There is about 1/8" or more difference between the lines. I'm not happy about it but there is no way to adjust it closer. Other than repainting, I'll just have to live with it.

Lesson learned.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links