Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

oppie Avatar
oppie Gold Member Don Oppliger
Lenexa, Kansas, USA   USA
Has anyone had experience replacing the original starter motor in their BJ8 III with the gear reduction starter by Nippondenso sold through both Moss & Victoria British? It has its own solenoid attached. The instructions are very confusing about the wiring and connecting two wires together.
Also are you to wire it up through the existing solenoid? That doesn't make any sense.
Would appreciate any help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Scan 30.jpeg    35.6 KB
Scan 30.jpeg

bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
Don,
Are these the instruction you have? Attached.
Dave

Attachments:
starter.pdf    171 KB

oppie Avatar
Dave, Thank you that is exactly what I need. The text in my post is the only instructions I got with my starter.
This will be very helpful.
Again thank you
Don

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluecatmodels Avatar
Hi Don,
How do you like your new starter?
Dave

oppie Avatar
Well Dave I don't have it up and running yet ran into problems. Got the started installed with wiring direct to the new starter and eliminated the old solenoid. Nothing happens when I turn the key so I obviously have some other kind of problem electrical. The battery is fully charged and I have good 12 V to the started but silence when I turn the key?

bluecatmodels Avatar
Don, does the starter click at all? Checking the wiring one more time is all I can suggest as well.
Dave

oppie Avatar
Four days in now and I'm still having problems wiring up this starter. I found errors in the Moss instructions and when calling the tech dept they agreed but won't get back to me for a week! here is the problem. I'm eliminating the old solenoid, neg ground, have 12 volts at starter cable, fully charged battery, have a good ground, I jumpered out the kill switch in the boot.
Have connected 12 V to the new starter lug with the brown wire from the control box. Instructions say to put jumper between 12v lug on starter to new solenoid terminal (?) now what do you do with the white/red wire from the starter switch? The Moss instructions indicate but not specifically to connect it to the solenoid terminal. But it is jumped to the starter terminal with 12 volts on it! That doesn't make any sense. Please look at the attached second page of the Moss instructions at Fig 10 they don't show the jumped wire! they show the white/red wire, what happened to the jumped wire according to instructions?
It does not show any jumper and look at par 13 & 14 they are a duplicate. There is a missing par on Fig 10!
How do you hook this thing together?

Attachments:
Starter wiring.pdf    170.7 KB

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Don, Figure 7 shows wiring if you are KEEPING the original solenoid. That one requires the jumper wire.

Look at Figure 10 if you are ELIMINATING the original solenoid. You do not use the jumper wire in this version, it is not required. If one were to attempt to use the jumper in this configuration the starter would run continuously. All you do is move the BATTERY cable to new starter and move the small wire on original solenoid to the spade terminal on the solenoid of new starter.
Do not mistake the cable that previously went from solenoid to your old starter as the "Battery cable". That wire is being eliminated. You need to connect the cable that comes from the battery to the large threaded terminal on solenoid of new starter.

Personally, I would keep the original solenoid. That's what I did with my 100. The reason goes back to my boating back ground and is also more easily "reversible" down the road.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-05 10:52 PM by Craig Clifton.

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, New York, USA   USA
Don,

You may also need to relocate/modify the Distributor Drive oil line, so be prepared for that.

I encountered this anomaly on my 1960 BT7 when installing one of these starters from MOSS.

After contacting them they said that interference notification was inadvertently left off the directions.

I neglected to not install that starter and instead rebuilt the original one which has been in there for 57 years,
and it's still grinding away.

oppie Avatar
Thanks Peter & Craig, I was able to install the starter by reusing the existing solenoid. It’s not what I originally planned but it turns out my problem was a bad battery in the first place. I contacted Moss and pointed out the flaws in the instructions that had me confused in the first place they told me a tech person would call me but it might take a week or two but I got a call the next day. The person who called me back was non other than Graham Blaine, the man in all the Moss videos. Graham was very helpful and I was able to confidently complete the inastall. I didn’t have any problem with the distributor oil line why did you have a problem, was it in the way?
Don

petnatcar Avatar
petnatcar Silver Member Peter Carbone
Watertown, New York, USA   USA
Don,
Yes the oil line was in the way but I have a BT7 and you have the BJ8 which has a shorter distributor mounting shaft.
That's why you don't have that interference.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links