Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

classic-steve Steve D
Warwick, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Hi all
After some delay I am about to install a pusher fan in front of the radiator on my positive earth BT7. I will use an on/off switch on the dash and a relay. I will not use a thermostatic controller.
I want to be able to switch on the fan at any time even with the ignition off. So, my question is,

if I connect the high current side of the relay to the solenoid terminal. can I connect the low power side of the relay to another "always hot" terminal such as terminal A on the light switch (brown and blue wire) which is closest to my on/off switch or terminal A1 of the fuse box (brown wire)? Or, can I take both from the solenoid?

Advice from those that have done this would be much appreciated
Cheers
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Davidbh David H
Dalbeattie, Kircudbrightshire, UK   GBR
Imho do what is most convenient. The most important thing is to put inline fuses on both low and high amp feed.

classic-steve Steve D
Warwick, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Thanks David
The light switch or A1 on the control box I think.
cheers
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gramos Avatar
gramos Graham Foster
Kefalonia, Greece   GRC
I have a pusher fan fitted , 14" but really wanted to fit a puller fan as they are more efficient
and do not interfere with the airflow entering thhe radiator core .

I have yet to find an electric fan with a very low profile to fit at the back of the radiator ?
Has anyone found a fan and managed to do this ?

ahchummy Avatar
ahchummy Patrick Quinn
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
Hello

I have done exactly that on my Austin-Healey by running a wire from where the power lead enters the ignition switch to a switch out of sight to the side of the dash that cannot be seen. Then there is another wire that runs to the electric fan in front of the radiator which is of course earth. No relays or the like. It's worked perfectly for years.

Best wishes

Patrick Quinn

RAC68 Avatar
RAC68 Raymond Carbone
Shore, Jersey, USA   USA
Although fan wiring appears to be the focus of this post, I would direct your attention to mounting the pusher fan low (out of the direct grill air flow) and at an angle to the radiator for greater cooling efficiency and effect.

Many that have mounted electric thermostatically controlled pusher fans find the fan is on all the time. This seems to be because, even at speed, the fan blocks the grill flow and requires the fan to be active to vent this flow. By mounting the pusher fan low and as far as possible out of the direct air flow from the grill, when at speed, more free-flowing air will more effectively be available to maintain cool operation with the fan off.

Additionally, if the fan is angled with respect to the radiator fins, cooling air will be more interactive with the radiator and be more effective in performance. Keep in mind that since the fan will not be mounted directly onto the radiator, there will be space between the units that can be stream dispersion. Although this condition is usually countered by choosing a large powerful fan providing a greater air stream, I have found on my TR7 that 2 smaller fans mounted closer to the radiator and angled upward to attack the radiator fins on an angle has been most effective.

Just my thoughts,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links