AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Langley, Bc, Canada   CAN
Hello all,
As a lic mechanic and currently rebuilding my 1963 Austin Healey 3000 BJ7 engine, I was so surprised with
the amounting cost of rebuilding a straight six engine....
Now I see why other people opt for a v8 or v6 you can pick them up for a 1/4 the cost (crate motor)
As to date I'm up to around 13,000 $$$ and finally getting to the end of this endevour ..
This price is of coarse not including my time just parts.
Anyone else on this site finding the same or what ?
Of coarse I'm not building a stock engine by any means but the cost per horsepower is too much.

Ps- I have photos , if someone can tell me how to post them ....
Cheers from
Canada

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
James1961 James Courteau
MontrĂ©al, Quebec, Canada   CAN
I never thought it would be that expensive, but just looking @ eBay, you can get one, and a Tri-carb for $16k
http://m.ebay.com/itm/200739330751

Attachments:
image.jpg    6.8 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    7.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
image.jpg    10.4 KB
rjc157 Avatar
rjc157 ralph c
pearl river, new york, USA   USA
wow that does seem a lot but I guess it depends on what kind of motor your building you must have deep pockets

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
I believe , if your going to go down that road of rebuilding your engine there's no short cuts my friends...
The only piece of the engine which is actually being used is the block..... :-)
Everything else has been turfed for stronger lighter parts...
I would post pics but seem not to be able to from my iPad ?
Anyone have a clue how to ?

Doing some research on hardtops and I see the price is set fairly high, does anyone have a good story to share about who makes the best Reproduction and where to buy ?

Cheers

hockey16 greg pullman
port moody, british columbia, Canada   CAN
Hi Ted,

If you have a two seater car then I have a rebuilt hard top for you. When I bought my 4 seater car it came with a hardtop I restored the hardtop and when I went to put it on the car it didn't fit. After some research I discovered that it was for a 2 seater car. I am currently building a house so the hardtop is in storage and I cant get at it until the new year if you are interested

Greg

63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Hey Greg thanks for the reply
What model do you have ?
I have 2+2 seater
So I've always wondered how far off is the hardtop , do you have pictures ?
I see Austin Healey spares also sell the BJ7 hardtop also....
Waiting for your reply

CT-Healeyowner Avatar
CT-Healeyowner Ryan Ledwith
Darien, CT, USA   USA
I've had my engine rebuilt 2x. The first guy did a few things wrong. But the first rebuild was $4500 including parts. The second one was about $2000 because I had the parts and just needed finishing.
$13,000 sounds pretty expensive

I guess you can pay just about any amount to have your engine rebuilt. Since most of us are just driving around the hills on sunny days, it doesn't need to be too high performance. In my opinion the most important thing is to have it carefully balanced. That adds some top end RPM's. Don't know if mine is properly balanced and don't know how to check it.

I replaced the:
pistons and wrist pins
cam shaft and lifters
top rocker assembly
oil pump
timing gears and chain
rings
bearings

kept the:
crank shaft - had it polished and balanced
flywheel
connecting rods

63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Wow, sorry to hear the feller who rebuilt your engine the first time screwed up....
I'd hate to ask what he could have done wrong.....
As for the inquiry of balancing , this is usually done when the engine is in the build stage, parts are either spun or assembled checking the balance of the sub assemblies...
Usually they drill lightening holes in parts to get the balance right and spin up to speed and check for vibrations..
This isn't something you can check when the engine is sitting in the car....

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
Ted -

I don't know where you source parts, but $13K seems pretty high. My race motor was 10K parts and labor 5-years ago. This included Carrillo rods, custom domed Arias pistons, roller rocker assembly, etc. I'm freshening the motor this winter with a complete tear-down, new bearings, a larger cam, a little more porting of the head and expect to be through it for about 2-3K. Though, it's another 1.5K for the custom 10lbs. flywheel and 7 1/4" Tilton clutch assembly.
I can usually get 4-5 years or about 30-40 race hours depend on the events.

Pete Farmer in the UK is your best source for a light weight hardtop. http://www.petefarmer.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-12-18 08:54 PM by Dougie.

Attachments:
'57 Motor.jpg    66.4 KB
'57 Motor.jpg

PNWH12_DJS-1579-2.jpg    52.3 KB
63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Thanks Dougie for Your time and info....
Very nice pictures you posted- thx
Since it seems your a mechanically inclined gentleman , can you reply on my posting with the heading of "valve timing misprint"

-this isn't making any sense what the book says?
(the crankshaft key way must be at 12- oclock position and the camshaft key way should be at 6:00 o'clock, Not 12-oclock)
I basically want to get my base valve time set then degree the cam to see what's happening...
Waiting for your reply
Ted

Ps- would like to post some pics of my engine build but having difficult posting pics from my apple iPad ?
Do you know how...

jerrybighia Avatar
jerrybighia Gerald Bighia
minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Hi
I'm In the process of rebuilding my tricarb. I don't understand why parts are costing you so much. You must have to replace a lot of major components, or you are buying every thing from Moss motors. They seem to be quite expensive compared to AH spares, even though I pay a lot for shipping {mostly for weight}, AH spares can be considerably cheaper. But I caution you to compare prices sometimes that's not the case. In my case, the machining I can't do myself but I estimate parts and paint and machining will be around 2 to 3 thousand. And that's stock with a couple of upgrades such as the rear seal kit and better valve guides. I hope this is helpful and don't be too discouraged, chalk it up to lesson learned and move on. Trust me we've all had our mistakes and I've had many myself and I don't think I'm done yet...lol

63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Hi Gerald,
Yes I buy everything from AHSpares UK, moss motors in USA is expensive and some of the performance parts aren't even offered.
Let's just put it this way...... the only parts I'm using from my old BJ7 engine is the block......that's it
I just finished installing my roller rocket kit and degreeing my mild cam....
AHSpares do sell the roller rocker kit but they didn't have any in stock so I had to pick that up at Dennis Welch (UK)
The major performance upgrades have all been installed : aluminum road fast head/ roller rocker kit, 12- bolt steel crankshaft, Cosworth pistons, performance rods. Triple weber setup..... And the list goes on and on.....
I think the only thing left is the crank harmonic damper and the lightened flywheel / clutch assembly......
And I'm throwing my hands up..... I'm done.

I am restoring my 63 BJ7 next money pit stop.... the rear end...:-)

jerrybighia Avatar
jerrybighia Gerald Bighia
minneapolis, Minnesota, USA   USA
Oh that explains it. My motor is in much better shape. I did my rear end a couple of months ago, it wasn't bad at all. They seem to be pretty tough. Don't buy the pumpkin gasket from AH, It doesn't fit. And they don't offer any thing else to replace it. I made one, but I bet mosses will fit. Good luck and have a merry hoilday...Jerry

e653666 Avatar
e653666 Glen P
Mentor, ohio, USA   USA
I guess it all depends on what you want to replace. I am just completing a full original 100/6 engine rebuild on the original block. The block was machined, magafluxed, and all the internal engine parts were ordered from england brand new. Also the new aluminum fast head was installed with new lifters, new rods, new crankshaft, new pistons, new connecting rods, new bearings, new seals, new cam gears, new timing chain,new tappets, new timing cover,etc. Also installed new alternator/ bracket, coil, starter, dist cap, wires,block valves, paint, etc. This is a complete engine that has been run in and ready to drop in frame. The cost is well over 10k. It will be installed in the original frame that was restored by Jules.

63mechanic Avatar
63mechanic Ted S
Thank you all for your input and advice on the subject..
I've managed to tweek my back and been in bed for several days, but managed to post some pictures of my build...
Hope you all enjoy..

Attachments:
IMG_0903.jpg    59 KB
IMG_0903.jpg

IMG_0897.jpg    39.3 KB
IMG_0907.jpg    51.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links