AHExp

The 3000 Forum

What did you do with your Big Healey today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
Jared,
What we call "Freeze Plugs" others call "Welsh plugs" or "Core plugs". They are either a disc type or a cup type that are used to plug holes in the engine block and cylinder head that are left from the casting process. We call them Freeze plugs because if the coolant in the engine ever freezes they will pop out and relieve the pressure on the engine block and prevent it from cracking. Some times the disc style, that are typically used in the older engines such as the 100-6 and 100-4, don't seat correctly in the holes and can either leak or pop out under pressure on the water jacket. The cup style don't usually have this problem as they have a much larger sealing surface and take pressure a lot better.
Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldwarhorse Avatar
oldwarhorse Ryan Hadskey
Memphis, Tennessee, USA   USA
Went out to eat at a local restaurant called Fuel Cafe and had a great meal. The car also generated lots off attention

Attachments:
IMG_1204.JPG    44.3 KB
IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG    48.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jaredhoke Avatar
jaredhoke Jared Hoke
Marine on St Croix, Minnesota, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8
1999 BMW 328i Sedan "Beemer"
2003 Jaguar X-Type "Pretty Kitty"
That is definitely a "back to basics" example of a Healey. I'm glad to see that the car still has appeal to a younger enthusiast, but then, young men have not really changed since I was one. And I still am one ... under my well-used exterior.

What's under the car's "bonnet"?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jmmarch Avatar
jmmarch Silver Member Mike March
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1976 MG Midget 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
Fitted front lights on the badge bar. Do most folks use a relay (as I did) to control the lights?

Attachments:
IMG_6039.JPG    18.2 KB
IMG_6039.JPG

bonnemkl Avatar
bonnemkl Silver Member Ken Bonnema
Statesville, North Carolina, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Kerridge Ride"
Jumped up and down when The Paint Shop called me to say body and paint were done.

Attachments:
DSC04084.JPG    34.8 KB
DSC04084.JPG

San Jose, California, USA   USA
Took the BJ8 up to the top of Mt. Umunhum, the newest piece of the SF Bay Area's open space preserve:

https://www.openspace.org/mount-umunhum-sierra-azul

Attachments:
Umunhum.JPG    16.8 KB
Umunhum.JPG

pkoot Avatar
pkoot Peter K
Alkmaar, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Nice!! 8 years ago we've been there, but drove via the "1" to LA, so we didn't visit this part. At least 1 reason to go back!

Peter

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links