AHExp

The 3000 Forum

What did you do with your Big Healey today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
Jared,
What we call "Freeze Plugs" others call "Welsh plugs" or "Core plugs". They are either a disc type or a cup type that are used to plug holes in the engine block and cylinder head that are left from the casting process. We call them Freeze plugs because if the coolant in the engine ever freezes they will pop out and relieve the pressure on the engine block and prevent it from cracking. Some times the disc style, that are typically used in the older engines such as the 100-6 and 100-4, don't seat correctly in the holes and can either leak or pop out under pressure on the water jacket. The cup style don't usually have this problem as they have a much larger sealing surface and take pressure a lot better.
Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
oldwarhorse Avatar
oldwarhorse Ryan Hadskey
Memphis, Tennessee, USA   USA
Went out to eat at a local restaurant called Fuel Cafe and had a great meal. The car also generated lots off attention

Attachments:
IMG_1204.JPG    44.3 KB
IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1208.JPG    48.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jaredhoke Avatar
jaredhoke Jared Hoke
Marine on St Croix, Minnesota, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8
1999 BMW 328i Sedan "Beemer"
2003 Jaguar X-Type "Pretty Kitty"
That is definitely a "back to basics" example of a Healey. I'm glad to see that the car still has appeal to a younger enthusiast, but then, young men have not really changed since I was one. And I still am one ... under my well-used exterior.

What's under the car's "bonnet"?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
jmmarch Avatar
jmmarch Silver Member Mike March
Winchester, Virginia, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1976 MG Midget 1500 ~ For Sale ! ~
Fitted front lights on the badge bar. Do most folks use a relay (as I did) to control the lights?

Attachments:
IMG_6039.JPG    18.2 KB
IMG_6039.JPG

bonnemkl Avatar
bonnemkl Silver Member Ken Bonnema
Statesville, North Carolina, USA   USA
1967 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Kerridge Ride"
Jumped up and down when The Paint Shop called me to say body and paint were done.

Attachments:
DSC04084.JPG    34.8 KB
DSC04084.JPG

San Jose, California, USA   USA
Took the BJ8 up to the top of Mt. Umunhum, the newest piece of the SF Bay Area's open space preserve:

https://www.openspace.org/mount-umunhum-sierra-azul

Attachments:
Umunhum.JPG    16.8 KB
Umunhum.JPG

pkoot Avatar
pkoot Peter K
Alkmaar, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Nice!! 8 years ago we've been there, but drove via the "1" to LA, so we didn't visit this part. At least 1 reason to go back!

Peter

Yes, the view is spectacular; the Pacific on one side, the Silicon Valley on the other and the North/South Bay Area. The preserve people really did a bang-up job on the new park. The only problem is that the 'main' road to the top is off a little back road I used to drive regularly. Now, with this new point of interest, that road will be swamped with flatlanders nervously, slowly creeping their Camrys up the narrow, windy road. Progress, I guess.

Another view, just as spectacular, is Mt. Hamilton Road, the path to Lick Observatory. What's nice(r) about that road is it's not a dead end, like Umunhum. From Lick--which has tons of history and regular docent lectures--you can keep going northeast, either east to Patterson via Del PUerto Canyon or north to Livermore via Mines Road; either is beautiful and challenging. At the junction of the roads is, well, The Junction (that's NOT Mt. Hamilton in the photo, BTW):

http://thejunctionbarandgrill.com/

The flatlanders don't usually venture beyond Lick.

donaldvf Avatar
donaldvf Silver Member Donald Fregeau
FORTUNA, CA, USA   USA
Took a ride out to Table Bluff and south jetty in Humboldt County. The day was perfect and drive was as well. Much better than last week when I took the same drive out there and blew a brake line due to friction on the fuel pump. It has been many years since I had to brake with my hand brake.

1963 Austin Healey BJ7 purchased in 1969. Recent frame-up restoration.

Attachments:
20170923_135011.jpg    55.8 KB
20170923_135011.jpg

20170923_132417.jpg    35.2 KB
20170923_130158.jpg    31.7 KB
DSCN0507.JPG    75 KB
21765449_10154823644527791_4855709291891819418_o.jpg    33.8 KB
DSCN0506.JPG    59.4 KB
Very nice. Every time I come up to the north coast it's foggy spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

At least, well-adjusted Healey handbrakes give you a fighting chance; they're what, 10" drums? The handbrakes on many modern cars are all but useless; my Mustang GT has tiny drum brakes inside the rotor hats, they'll barely hold on a slight grade.

On another note, I'm having problems posting replies. I can download from the server fine, but when I try an (HTTP) post--how replies are sent--I get a 'server not responding' error. Anyone else seeing this?

donaldvf Avatar
donaldvf Silver Member Donald Fregeau
FORTUNA, CA, USA   USA
Thanks. Our recent weather has been very nice but it is unpredictable. Thank God for the handbrake!

1963 Austin Healey BJ7 purchased in 1969. Recent frame-up restoration.

skippythebusdriver Damien Carrick
Twickenham, Middlesex, UK   GBR
Today we took the summit of the Stelvio Pass, from Austria to Italy. This is part of a trek from London to the Italian Riviera. The previous afternoon had been sunny as we climbed to nightstop about two thirds of the way up. The day dawned to heavy snow over the summit (over 9000' elevation). Even going early, we weren't the first up the hill as some intrepid cyclists were already out. The Healey was running quite rich at that altitude, so was a trifle sluggish. Nonetheless it took the 48 hairpin bends (climbing) and the other 40 (descending) with ease. The roads around Lake Como are easy by comparison. Time to relax now....

Attachments:
IMG_1050.JPG    71.8 KB
IMG_1050.JPG

IMG_20170923_153847617.jpg    45.9 KB
IMG_20170924_082955150.jpg    46.4 KB
IMG_20170924_084555222.jpg    47.8 KB
pkoot Avatar
pkoot Peter K
Alkmaar, NH, Netherlands   NLD
Great!! We’ve done the same with our Healey a couple of years ago. Every Healey owner must do this!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-25 07:16 AM by pkoot.

Mike T Avatar
Mike T Mike Tobin
Townsend, Montana, USA   USA
I honked the horn!
Yeah, it doesn't sound like much, but it's been over 30 years since anything on this car has been operated.
I put in a battery and tested the new wiring with an inline fuse before connecting both terminals.
Connected both terminals and turned the switch to ON. Nothing - no smoke not sparks.
Well, I can't find the key (30 years and two moves) and the lights aren't connected yet, so the only thing that will work without the ignition on is the horn.
I pushed the button - BLAT!!! It sounded so good I pushed it a few more times.

I've got a key on order and in the meantime I'll jump the ignition and hope to have it started this weekend!!

I've been told by others drivers that my brake lights don't work. I know it's at least somewhat because I engine brake or coast into lights and signs, but have to admit the stock lighting system on a Big Healey leaves lots to be desired. So, today I installed LED run/brake lights. Only the left one--running, but not braking--is installed in this photo:

Attachments:
LEDs.JPG    47.9 KB
LEDs.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links