Trafficator , 100-4 vs 100-6. ?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, Wisconsin, USA   USA
When I got my 100-4 it was missing the trafficator. So I am on the lookout for one. I have found 100-6 trafficators for sale and I wondering if the two are basically the same other than the center button and stater tube? Then I could get one of those. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bluecatmodels Avatar
bluecatmodels Silver Member Dave W
Three Rivers, CA, USA   USA
Scott,
Everything I've looked at, and the one I repaired on my BT7 (major pain in the butt), leads me to believe they are interchangeable.
Good luck,
Dave

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
G'day Scott,
How much of the trafficator didn't you get with your 100? While the 100/6 trafficator is similar to a 100 (and probably interchangeable) there are differences. The 100/6 usually had an adjustable steering column so the stator tube has a telescoping feature, whereas the 100 has a rigid stator tube for the fixed column.
Also, the actuating lever has a different shape and is not chrome plated and the self cancelling device is different.
Cheers,
Alwyn

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
With the exception of the physical appearance of the trafficator head, the trafficators are interchangeable from the BN2 through BJ8 as long as you use the appropriate one for a fixed or adjustable column. I am currently using the fixed stator tube original from my BN2 in a late model fixed column raised lid steering box/column. Fits like it belongs there. I cannot speak for the early 100 box as it was not the same as the late 100.

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Scott,

I know it's been a year since you posted your question, but I have been restoring these for 30 years now and regularly convert six cylinder trafficator switches to work on the 100s. If you're still interested please drop me a line.

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Scott,

Attached is my flyer on what I do and some samples of my work.

Curt

Attachments:
Austin Healey-AC Trafficator Restoration Flyer-VIIC.pdf    424.9 KB

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, Illinois, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Curt, as the expert on these things, could you comment on my traficator for my 54 100? I have always believed it to be the original one, but some folks have cast doubt in my mind.

Attachments:
IMG_9306 (2).jpg    41.4 KB
IMG_9306 (2).jpg

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Regarding BN1/2 control head or trafficator switches, they were essentially the same except or one noticeable difference.

The 1953 BN1s with the adjustable steering and the two piece dash had a chrome lever exactly like those on the six cylinder adjustable Austin Healeys.

When the adjustable steering and the two piece dash were phased out at around body no. 1000, the lever only then changed to the black "claw" or "beak" type.

See my attached flyer with the various AH trafficator switches.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
Austin Healey Flyer Pictures.pdf    153.9 KB

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, Illinois, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
Thank you very much. I really appreciate getting this type of detail.

Simon

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Cary, NC, USA   USA
Question for Curt, was the adjustable stator on the early .53 the same as that used on the later Healeys? Thanks in advance.

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Jake,

Yes and no. Up to body no. 133 or after, the adjustable stator tube was like those on the TR3s. This was a short stator tube with the same pot metal cancelling ring and wavy washer as on the non-adjustable units.

See my attached flyer on the two types used in '53 BN1's.

See units no. 51, 56 and AHX-3

Starting at body no. 174 or before, yes, they were the same as all other Austin Healeys through the '67 BJ8s. We just don't know the exact changeover point. See unit 708.

Cheers,

Curt

Attachments:
Early BN1 Control Heads.pdf    1.94 MB

filospinato Avatar
Cary, NC, USA   USA
Wow, fantastic info! I have a trafficator from an Austin A40 that has the brass contact ring on the back just like #724 in your pictures. It also has all brass cancelling dogs, with internals that are different than the later ones. Very interesting to see, thank you!

Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Fake,

FYI, They ALL have a brass contact ring on the back, '53 through '67. That's just standard, as they won't work without one.

filospinato Avatar
Cary, NC, USA   USA
Right, I understand that, however, the later ones have small cutouts in the outer perimeter that locate on small plastic protrusions, while the one in the early picture and on the A40 have an uninterrupted perimeter.

Attachments:
20170617_131047.jpg    22.8 KB
20170617_131047.jpg

20170617_133725.jpg    24.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Healey2 Avatar
Healey2 Curtis Arndt
California, USA   USA
Jake,

That is correct, and even very early BN1s have this feature, but a very minor detail that does not effect the function of the unit. More often than not, the three small protrusions on the back of the Bakelite base are broken off, or have been machined off.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links