AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Teddington, Middx, UK   GBR
Thank you Craig

I do really enjoy the car and so do complete strangers whenever I pull up on the side of the road.

It is a beautiful car which I enjoy immensely

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Thank you Mike

I was really just kidding. I love the car dearly. Just like my kids though, the experience can be occasionally very trying!

Vintage n Classic Avatar
Vintage n Classic Silver Member Geoff Golding
Nelson, Tasman, New Zealand   NZL
Another suggestion gents.....................

Quite a few Healey owners both 100/4 and 6 cylinder car owners in Aussie "lag" (aka the old steam train/ferry days) the exhaust system from the manifold down under the car to the muffler. They do this to stop the passenger (in RHD vehicles) from "frying" on a 35 + degree day. One of the local Healey owners in the "North of The South Island" of N.Z. who is on the back end of a restoration has also adopted this strategy. I understand the old asbestos lagging is "illegal" but I also understand there is a suitable substitute.

This of course has the effect of keeping the exhaust heat contained and as a consequence I suggest would reduce the heat in the engine bay.........we have not done this with our 100/4 for the reasons I have already explained.

Cheers
Geoff

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE! My car is back from the garage and I do believe my vapour lock problem is cured.

My car is ready to be returned from the garage with a cool air blower fitted; which as Craig suggested; would remedy my vapour lock problem.

As many of you following this saga may know, my AH100 BN1 would drive perfectly on an open road. However, whenever I hit traffic the revs would start to drop and then if I remained stationary for too long, it would stall. However, if I moved off into free flowing traffic the car would return to normal operation.

When I bought my AH 100 a year ago it had been the subject of a comprehensive renovation (all new wires, pipes, engine etc). The car has a brand new aluminium radiator and fuel tank, 5 blade fan and electric cut in fan too. To remedy the vapour lock problem I proceeded to change the fuel pump, coil and regulator but to no avail. I then wrapped the exhaust pipes and all fuel lines and had a heat shield fitted but again to no avail. The problem still persisted!!! I had the carburettors checked and the distributor settings too, but this did not help either.

I was beginning to despair when Craig on this forum suggested using an air blower to cool the carburettors. I thought it would not work to be honest. But one day when I had been out in the car I left it running on the drive and noticed the revs dropping. I had read on the internet that if you got two wet cloths and placed them on the carbs it would cool the float bowls and the revs would return to normal. Again I was skeptical but I tried it and literally within seconds the revs returned to normal. This really proved to me my problem was fuel boiling in the floats due to heat soak in the engine bay.

I decided to get the blower fitted as Craig recommended and my mechanic did an excellent job of discretely fitting the fan and wires and switch. Having completed the works he took the car for a spin. Having stopped in traffic for a while the engine bay began to soak up the heat and the revs began to drop. He switched on the blower and in seconds the car returned to normal.

I have been away for a few weeks and can't wait to try drive my car to see how it works for myself. I am very confident my problem has been solved. I will be back in touch with my comments soon.

In the meantime, thank you everyone or your suggestions. This forum has been very helpful indeed.

Craig, I think I owe you a beer smiling smiley

100M Avatar
100M mike lewis
harbor island, sc, USA   USA
Congrats on getting it solved. Post some pictures of the fix !

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Hello All

I thought you might like to see 3 very short videos showing how I cooled down the carburettors with a wet rag to demonstrate the problem of vapour lock/heat soak.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=CzkUVkqCQE0

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=yQ-E2cB9G3Q

simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, Illinois, USA   USA
Would very much like to see photos of the installation of the fan.

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Hi Simon

I will post pictures and maybe a video of the fan asap. I'm currently travelling.

Watch this space.

Regards

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Here's a good read about modern fuel issues in vintage cars:

http://fbhvc.co.uk/legislation-and-fuels/fuel-information/

gramos Avatar
gramos Graham Foster
Kefalonia, Greece   GRC
I havefitted a fan which is designed for use as a bilge blower it works really well ,
there is ducting fitted to the grill then open to the front flaot chamber and carbs in general pics :

Attachments:
IMG_20170402_142237.jpg    51.3 KB
IMG_20170402_142237.jpg

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Thanks Graham.

Simon, suggest you see the earlier discussion/link in this thread to Craig's photos too. He put me on to the blower.

Mine to follow soon.

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Useful videos on subject on vapour lock / heat soak.

For me only the blower system worked.

cpcooper Craig Cooper
Chico, California, USA   USA
Paul: Congratulations, and I'll take you up on the beer, but it should rightfully go to Steve K, another N California BN1 owner who migrated here from the southern part of the state. He showed me the blower system on his car and said it was common in the Healey group to which he belonged before moving here. To be honest, I was as sceptical as some of the guys posting here, but my vapor lock was seriously curtailing my enjoyment of the car and I was at the try anything point. And... it just works so well!

I did find this 100M heat shield offered by AH Spares https://www.ahspares.co.uk/austin-healey/performance-parts/fuel-engine-bay/heatshield-100m.aspx which I am considering if I ever get around to insalling the H6 carbs and M airbox I have set aside for my BN1. (It wouldn't work with the H4's as the mounting flanges are different)

Attachments:
41eb8fe8-4f06-497d-8c19-bc6595c07b72-1(1).jpg    6 KB
41eb8fe8-4f06-497d-8c19-bc6595c07b72-1(1).jpg

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
Thanks again Craig - please pass on my thanks to Steve and co.

I am trying to persuade my wife to visit USA and California. If we do I will try to look you up for a beer smiling smiley

By the way, my car has the H6 carbs fitted.

Regards Paul

Pablo Noodles Avatar
Pablo Noodles Paul North
IT REALLY DOES WORK......!!!!

Well I can state with 100% certainty that fitting the cool air blower directed on to the carburettors works.

I have just been for a test drive today and not once did I have the usual problems of the engine revs dropping to the point of stalling. At the end of my drive I hit significant traffic for about 12 minutes, where I was stop starting every ten meters - plus the sun was out too.

I flicked the switch and the blower did its job. There is NO DOUBT that this has definitely fixed my problem with vapour lock/heat soak. I am very pleased with this fix and wish I had fitted the blower soon.

My strong advice to anyone struggling with the same problem is to fit a blower, as every other fix I tried did not work in my case.

Now I can sit in traffic and relax as people look on rather than inwardly stress about dealing with a conk out.

I am now looking forward to a drive through London early hours this weekend to take in the great sights of the Capital....Vroom Vroom.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links