Looking for a 100-4 engine

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
I have a 1955 100-4 that I bought around 2 years ago . It has everything but the motor and transmission. As easy as it would be to drop a small block into it l am thinking an original motor would be nicer . So how hard is it to find a motor and transmission, any help would be great. Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mk31755 Avatar
mk31755 Gold Member mark kriwinsky
cleveland, OH, USA   USA
There is an engine/transmission for sale on ebay right now. It is not mine and I know nothing about it. I just saw it while browsing. Also, try Tom Kovacs at Fourintune, he's up in your neck of the woods. He does a lot of full restorations and if nothing else might be able to point you in the right direction. Also, check with your local Austin Healey Club people. They are always a great source of networking. Good luck.

MK

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
WOW...ebay. $13000 for a motor and transmission that still need to be rebuilt . I didn't pay that much for the hole car. I know it wouldn't be easy to find but I didn't think a motor would be that much. Weren't these motor originally in taxi cabs and trucks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spinaway Des Spillane
Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Fred"
Hi
What was the Auction Number for that 100-4 engine on eBay please ?
Thanks

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
It didn't sell, so you'll have to look up Austin Healey 100-4 motor and then completed items.

spinaway Des Spillane
Timaru, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Fred"
For SHAMROCK

I have tried every combination on eBay and cant bring up that expired auction. I get heaps of other expired ones.
If you give me the auction listing number, then normally you can bring up an expired auction by just entering that.
Thanks

mk31755 Avatar
cleveland, OH, USA   USA
the item number is 252615870665. It pops up and is the very first item at the top of the page when you go to Austin healey 100-4 engine and then go to completed auctions. I believe it is from a bn2, based on the serial number. If that is the case and the tranny is matching it may be a four speed tranny for a bn2 and not a bn1 three speed. It can't hurt to make an offer to the seller you never know. MK

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
Like I said it's strange that these motors are so rare that a motor and transmission needing to be rebuilt can demand near $15000. These motors were taken out of taxis,vans and trucks. Healey took them , not for speed but for strength and reliability.

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 187600 by mk31755 the item number is 252615870665. It pops up and is the very first item at the top of the page when you go to Austin healey 100-4 engine and then go to completed auctions. I believe it is from a bn2, based on the serial number. If that is the case and the tranny is matching it may be a four speed tranny for a bn2 and not a bn1 three speed. It can't hurt to make an offer to the seller you never know. MK

The engine number 1B223808M is from the BN1 series. BN2 started at 228047. The trans pictured is most definitely a 3-speed BN1 trans.

The auction seems to be gone from E-bay, but you can find pics here--->> Healey 100 engine/trans

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-13 12:42 PM by Craig Clifton.

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Manassas, VA, USA   USA
mk31755 Avatar
cleveland, OH, USA   USA
you are correct about the serial number being a bn1. I only read the description and it said the serial number was 233808 which is a bn2, but the correct serial number as you noted was 223808 which is a bn1 and correct , I believe for this application.

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, CA, USA   USA
I never read the description, just went by the photos. Obviously "233808" was a typo by the seller. BTW, the last BN2 was 233455.

DTDuck Avatar
DTDuck Dan Marshall
Redwood City, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 187555 by Shamrock I have a 1955 100-4 that I bought around 2 years ago . It has everything but the motor and transmission. As easy as it would be to drop a small block into it l am thinking an original motor would be nicer . So how hard is it to find a motor and transmission, any help would be great. Thanks
You just have to be patient, they do come up periodically. I saw one on EBay in March (Engine only) for $4,500 and it was on there quite awhile. I also saw one on EBay (SF Bay Area) before that for $7,500 (If I remember correctly) That was also on there for awhile.
Keep in mind that you really only need a block as you will want to replace the head anyway. You can buy brand new Aluminum heads and steel cranks, rods, flywheels, etc.

I do have a 3-speed gearbox that will most likely be available in a few months after I finish upgrading my BN1 to a 4-speed if you are interested.

Cheers,
Dan M.

Shamrock Scott Drewa
Oak Creek, WI, USA   USA
I would be interested in the transmission. Just let me know. Thanks

DTDuck Avatar
DTDuck Dan Marshall
Redwood City, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 187690 by Shamrock I would be interested in the transmission. Just let me know. Thanks
I will let you know, but it will be several months at this point.

Dan M.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links