Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Qldelsie Silver Member Giles Cooper
Benowa, Queensland, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 195117 by NaDaDawgRacer Giles
I am sure that you know that the biggest problem with the cooling on Healey is the fact that in original configuration is the lack of air control thru and around the radiator. Air can go around the radiator behind the grill and the fan may actually just churn the air vs pulling it thru the radiator. Make sure that all areas in front of the radiator are closed off then make a full shroud around the fan on the back of the radiator. Not necessarily original but it will greatly improved cooling
John

Yes, hear you loud and clear on the air flow, ducting etc, John.

https://austin-healeypekingtoparis2019.blogspot.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/austin.healey.73113?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hart70 Charlie Hart
CARPINTERIA, CA, USA   USA
Re: Heading to Mongolia

Hart70
Charlie Hart

To:

Qldelsie Silver Member
Giles Cooper

Sent:
2017-09-26 12:00 PM
The 72 spoke wheels are available thru Dayton Part no.459 for the Morgan Plus 4. These wheels provide clearance for the drums on the BN1 and BN2. The rim size is 15x5.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Updates?

Pete

In reply to # 195682 by NOHOME Updates?

Pete

Ha ha - Too busy chasing spare parts recently to give updates ! Also wife and I did a 4000 km round trip in my Lotus to surprise a friend at his 70th birthday ! Been a slow week actually (photo wise, anyway) as the boys at CCC have been busy elsewhere on other cars. But I guess the latest is really the engine. Since we had everything out, we decided to "have a look" in the engine. We had assumed it was OK, so were going to run it until nearer the China time, and rebuild it then before the event. Well, our friend Murphy is obviously having a ball with this, because as soon as the head was off, we started to see problems. Scored bores, scored pistons, big ends already out to -60 thou when the max is -40, cam shaft gear a mess - I won't go on as it is too painful. A couple of pics will suffice, although if anyone wants to see more photos and detail, have a look in the blog Peking to Paris 2019
All the replacement parts for the engine have now been ordered, with only the cylinder head (yes, that was pitiful too !!) not being available off the shelf. It seems that whoever makes the alloy heads (Denis Welch or A.N.Other) will only be doing a run in December or so, depending on demand, and as a result we have put out word that we are looking for a head - one that has not been skimmed as we need to keep the CR low in expectation of poor fuel quality. Through the local Healey Club we found one in Holland, but that turned out to have been skimmed. But they may have another shortly. Then we found a couple of A70 heads that were availsble, but decided the differences might be too great. Currently we are looking at another possible cast iron unit we have found locally - Will advise which way we go when we finally decide.
Interestingly, this cyl head issue has me digging into the internet for information again - Alloy or cast iron ? It seems like opinions are divided (apart from the councours p.o.v.) but overall there seemingly isn't much difference. Yes, one is heavier, yes one dissipates heat a little quicker than the other, but performance and everything else wise, not really much difference. Yet again, it seems to be more a question of what is available at the time that you need it !
Meantime, we are getting a clutch, we have the king pins now in the stub axles and ready to build up with the brakes. I am starting on the wiring, and lots of small things are getting done. Thats about it for now - Hopefully we will have more to show in the next week or two.
Couple of sad photos for you !!
Giles

Attachments:
IMG_1977.jpg    44.9 KB
IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg    31 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1951.jpg    37.8 KB
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Giles
If the only good head you can find has been cut then no problem since you need to install new pistons. Just have the pistons made short to reduce the cr. This is exactly what I was discussing with my engine builder. Whe you are back home after the P2P you can just put another set of pistons in and bring the act back up and have a good strong engine. My guy works with JE every day and all of them are custom to him.
John

brianbj7 brian chandler
kamloops, bc, Canada   CAN
Giles

I noticed tou are in the process of relacing king pins and bushings.
Have you checked the spindles for cracks in the root, this can be done by magnaflux NDT.
Mine showed tiny hairline cracks, the NDT technician tried to polish out the cracks with scotchbright...no luck then tried emery cloth
bottom line after several tries with ever increasing severity the cracks persisted.
I spoke to several people who said its not uncommon, dont worry about it!!

My car is a BJ7 and the axles were beefed up for the BJ8 cars.

I replaced the axle assemblies with updated competition grade from Dennis Welsh.
Seemed a pity to rebuild from wheels up only yto have wheel "depart" on an untimely basis

Just something to consider since you will be on some "unknown" road conditions

rgds
Brian

Chris-D Avatar
Chris-D Chris D
Sydney, NSW, Australia   AUS
For those who don't know, here's how you tell at a glance if a 100 cylinder head has been skimmed/ faced/ cut.
There's a boss under the centre exhaust port on the 100 cylinder head, that is proud of the cylinder head face by about 60 or 70 thou.
If that boss is flush with the face, its been skimmed.
This head hasn't been skimmed/ faced/ cut.
I've spoken to Ashton, and I'm taking this head up to get pressure/ crack tested on Monday.

Attachments:
100-head-boss.JPG    59.9 KB
100-head-boss.JPG

John, I am not too sure about getting the pistons cut down - I am sure it can be done, but long term reliability is the key for us. Basically 36 days of driving long distances every day (bar a couple of rest days) - The head and its internals are going to get little rest ! I went to look at our current head today, where it has been stitched in the past, and there is also a rust area which indicates a possible crack, I understand. The head will be pressure tested to see if it is usable. But even then, the head man said it might be fine to use on a car that is just used locally for outings, but totally unsuitable to use on the P2P. Pics of that head below.

Brian, we have brand new uprated stub axles (spindles, whatever) and new king pins. All have been crack tested prior to receipt. All obtained from Denis Welch. But your point is well taken, and these are the kind of things we are taking great care over. All such comments are very welcome because sooner or later we are going to be advised of something we may have forgotten !!

Thank you Chris - I will check "our" head out when I go back - I wasn;t looking for that boss today. Is it also present on an A90 head ? And looking forward to the result of the pressure test with bated breath ! smiling smiley

Attachments:
IMG_2073.jpg    53.1 KB
IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg    43.9 KB
IMG_2075.jpg    39.2 KB
NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Giles
I didn’t mean to cut it he piston but to have them made with the top shorter than standard to reduce the cr. If designed that way and done during the manf process then it shouldn’t hurt reliability
John

Oh, OK John, But sounds horribly expensive to have pistons specially made ??
By the way, I forgot to say before, that we may not "return home after the P2P", so not so simple to just change the pistons again. Well, we may return home, but the car may not. Since we have already shipped the car all that way, it may well be worthwhile keeping it over in Europe / UK for a while, and then flying over to do some European Classic Rallies. The thought being that we are not preparing this car for a single event, but to use on an ongoing basis as a Classic Rally Car. That is why long term set up and reliability is paramount, and we are putting so much effort and new parts into the car now. The engine will be new, the gearbox rebuilt, the diff rebuilt, the radiator new, wheels new, fuel tank and pumps new, the suspension and steering mostly new or rebuilt, and the chassis and bodywork strengthened accordingly. The plan is that this car will have a long and illustrious competition career ahead of it !!! smiling smiley
Giles

PAN Avatar
PAN Alwyn Keepence
Ipswich, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Giles,
Looking at the view of the top of the cylinder head (IMG 2075) the thermostat housing looks different to me. That head has a three bolt fastening, but the Healey (and the A90 & A70) cylinder head has a four bolt mounting for the thermostat housing.
Not significant, it's just that I have not seen such a mounting before.
Cheers,
Alwyn

NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Giles
I am my engine shop this morning. He said he gets custom JE pistons for about $130 US per hole and they would be as durable if not more than stock. If you would like some help let me know.
John

In reply to # 195708 by PAN Giles,
Looking at the view of the top of the cylinder head (IMG 2075) the thermostat housing looks different to me. That head has a three bolt fastening, but the Healey (and the A90 & A70) cylinder head has a four bolt mounting for the thermostat housing.
Not significant, it's just that I have not seen such a mounting before.
Cheers,
Alwyn

Now you have me totally confused, Alwyn ! I thought our thermostat housing was a 3 bolt because it WAS an A90 head. If that is not the case, then what head DO we have ?? Anyone know ? Any serial numbers I should look for that will help it reveal its origins ?
Giles

Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I'm pretty sure that 72 spoke wheels will fit over the wider drums without problems. It is 60 spoke wheels that rub on the drums.
I wouldn't worry too much about the strength of the 72 spoke wheels . We did 5 Targa Newfoundland events on a set of previously used 72 spoke wheels from a TR6 and despite immense abuse they gave absolutely no trouble.
We also opted to stick with the spiral bevel (4 bolt) differential because it is substantially lighter. We did take the precaution of installing 6 stud A70 Pickup rear hubs and a Studebaker Power Loc limited slip diff which was a huge benefit.
Lots of information on the build here :http://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/ahx12.html

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links