AHExp

The 100 Forum

Wiring - 2 mods required so should I get a individual loom made?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Hello,

Having got the inner bodywork into paint I am now starting to think about the next steps and wiring is one of them. I am plaining on setting the car up in standard form except I am going to use one 12V battery and I would like a 12V power socket hidden under the dashboard.

Do I need to get a modified loom for those of should I just modify a standard loom from somewhere like Ahead 4 Healey's?

Regards

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
HealeyinOZ Avatar
HealeyinOZ Howard L
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia   AUS
Hi,

I am not an electrical engineer but I have run both a single and twin 12V batteries in my car without any modification to the wiring harness. I currently run twin 12V gel filled batteries which are connected in parallel.

I also run a 12V accessory socket mounted on the underside of the parcel tray, using the original choke control holes for the mount. I don't drill holes in my car for anything. The socket is connected directly to the battery. The wiring runs under the carpet and terminates in a connector that matches the connector for my battery charger. I have a charger line permanently attached to the batteries and it comes out from the gap around the battery hatch and sits behind the driver's seat. When I need 12V power I simply join the connectors and the socket is activated. The wires go through an in-line fuse to protect the circuit.

This modification was done long after the car was restored so there was no chance to get a modified wiring harness. That would be a better option but at what cost? That's a value judgement only you can make.

Cheers

NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
X2
John

Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Thank you

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links