AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Hello again,

I am not aware of the history regarding screen pillars and wondered if there is a 'correct' approach? I notice some cars have the pillars the colour of the car and some have them as polished aluminium. are there any rules or accepted guidelines?

Regards
Steve

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Matched to body color is the standard.

Luegolover Avatar
Luegolover Steve L
London, London, UK   GBR
Thank you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
simon1966 Avatar
simon1966 Silver Member Simon Griffin
.Madison County, Illinois, USA   USA
1953 MG TD
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "BEV"
1977 MG MGB
They were painted from the factory. My car had non-painted for my entire ownership. It is getting painted now by my restorer. I was chatting to him about the windshield frame etc, Apparently these were matched by hand during assembly as there was quite a bit of variation from one to the next. They have numbers stamped into them so they remain a set. Back in the day, when the cars were not worth much, it was not uncommon to get a complete frame from a scrap dealer rather than have the windshield replaced when the glass cracked. So many cars do not have their original windshield. I imagine that the paint was removed rather than go to the expense of getting painted. The photos are of the selection process, finding a pair that fit really well.

Attachments:
image001.jpg    45.1 KB
image001.jpg

image002.jpg    32.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Triggerfish Avatar
Triggerfish Andrew Dineen
Earth, North Wales, UK   GBR
Paint!

Rob Glasgow Avatar
Lompoc, California, USA   USA
Paint is correct but it will never beat the sparkle of polished pillars. It's your car, do what you want. It's easy to repaint the pillars at a later date. Mine have been polished for 35 years.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links