Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
Figured it might be worth doing a build thread on this one. It is a 1954 100-4 that has been taking a nap for the last 7 years. Despite first impressions due to the scruffy paint, this is a very solid never welded on car. I really like it.

According to the owner, the car was running fine when last used. The plan is to go though the brakes and suspension then get the engine running after a fuel system flush. I am sure there will be a few questions to toss at the hive as I move along.

First question I have is if anyone recognizes these wheels? They are a bolt on wire wheel conversion with no lack of spokes!

Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-14 09:04 AM by NOHOME.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AHSpares Avatar
AHSpares AH Spares
Southam, Warwickshire, UK   GBR
Looks like a great project! cool smiley

Contact us for your Austin-Healey & Sprite spares | Tel: 0044 1926 817181 | Email: sales@ahspares.co.uk

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 194125 by AHSpares Looks like a great project! cool smiley

What a surprise seeing AH Spares chime in. You guys were responsible for a lot of the success on my first ever Healey restoration.

Started with this

Ended with this:

If its Blue on the finished car, it probably came from your inventory. And I wont confess to how many years ago that was!

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
56bn2 Avatar
56bn2 John R
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
What motor is in there? Pull a wheel and post photos of what's behind there.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
After a good meal of Red Herring, the bonnet is open for the first time in seven years.

All looks pretty good with the coolant nice and clean and the oil looking not too bad. Everything under the valve cover tells me this engine was maintained.

The carbs had to come off since the floats were essentially glued to the bottom of the bowls by the old varnished fuel. Once on the bench, a quick wiggle of the shafts shows a bit of wear on the throttle shaft/bore. The sooty plugs make me think it has been run rich in order to compensate for the slight air leak at idle.

The car continues to amaze me with its lack of rust.

The fuel tank was a low point. I knew it was not going to be pretty, but a borescope into a 3/4 full tank of varnish shows a lot of rust inside. The outside is already half fiberglass, I had to remove it and evict it from the shop due to the smell.

No holes, but some surface corrosion caused by mouse piss and time. Bit of time with a wire-wheel and a tin of POR should see this cleaned up.

I will have a look at the brakes tonight. I can already see where the brake lines are going to need replacing as one is rotted off at the MC and the routing of the current ones can best be described as "Creative"

Pete

56bn2 Avatar
56bn2 John R
Lexington, Kentucky, USA   USA
You got a good car there.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Well....did not see that one comingeye popping smiley

Front wheel came off and what do I see but a disc brake when I was expecting a drum!

Poking around a bit reveals that the kingpins, shocks and bushings all seem to be in order. The calipers appear to be relatively new judging by fresh rubber dust seals and no rust at all on the bit of brake piston that sticks out of the caliper. What little fluid remains in the MC is clear, so that gives me hope that this will be a fairly easy brake overhaul once I replace the master.

The rear brakes caused me some consternation... MF the drums are hard to get off with the thick bosses that are built in to them. What the hell were they thinking? Dont want to even guess what new ones cost, and I wont have to since the insides look quite serviceable. I will poke a bit further, but the slave cylinders at the rear look to be new when the car was parked.

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
I like the non-rusted chrome valve cover! Mine was in horrible shape, chrome peeling and base metal pitted, with just 50 k miles on it in 1972. May have been due to the louvered hood and living outside for part of its life...... I've been collecting painted ones in good shape to find a good candidate for chroming.

Would you do me a favor and measure the total thickness of the center of the rear drum?

Thanks

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 194218 by Craig Clifton I like the non-rusted chrome valve cover! Mine was in horrible shape, chrome peeling and base metal pitted, with just 50 k miles on it in 1972. May have been due to the louvered hood and living outside for part of its life...... I've been collecting painted ones in good shape to find a good candidate for chroming.

Would you do me a favor and measure the total thickness of the center of the rear drum?

Thanks

Yeah...I imagine that valve cover is going to get a buff. Not sure exactly what you want measured? Middle of the braking surface?

Pete

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Pete, I'm interested in the thickness of the center where it fits over the studs. Just looking to see how much thicker it is than a wire wheel drum.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 194220 by Craig Clifton Pete, I'm interested in the thickness of the center where it fits over the studs. Just looking to see how much thicker it is than a wire wheel drum.

This what you need?

Pete

Attachments:
WP_20170818_003.jpg    30.8 KB
WP_20170818_003.jpg

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Thats it! Thanks.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 194230 by Craig Clifton Thats it! Thanks.

Pulling the inevitably rusty lugs through that 1.356" is a lot of fun!

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
OK my fellow car loving, rust hating friends...I am here to TESTIFY! I am going to testify about the miraculous powers of 50/50 acetone and ATF! HALLELUJAH!!!

Praise the lord THAT after a night of soaking in the brew, the rear drum came off like a lamb to slaughter. It was AMAZING!

Seriously, I had heard of this wiches brew, but as a life-long manual shifter, who has ATF kicking around? So, with this bleeping drum refusing to come off even with a puller cranked as tight as I dared, I realized that I had ATF and Acetone in the garage. Without much hope I mixed some up, hit the studs with a liberal dose of the stuff, and went in for the night . Damn if the drum did not come off this morning with little effort from the puller.

I am a believer!

Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, Ontario, Canada   CAN
If you are looking for parts for the brakes I think what you have there are hubs and brakes from a solid wheel 3000 roadster.
They are a bit unusual but I remember those long rear studs and the drum with the built in spacers.

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links