Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
In reply to # 194303 by Michael S If you are looking for parts for the brakes I think what you have there are hubs and brakes from a solid wheel 3000 roadster.
They are a bit unusual but I remember those long rear studs and the drum with the built in spacers.

Timely information since it looks like it needs a new front hub. The bearing was lose and trashed the inner race. Everything else looking good.

Time to go shake the grapevine and se who has a spare. How rare did you say these hubs were?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-21 10:02 PM by NOHOME.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Rear brake system is de-rusted, adjusters freed-up and everything coated in a coat of POR to avoid future rust.

As a side note, if you have not used a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone as a rust-buster for stuck fasteners, you dont know what you are missing. This is the first time I have ever managed to release brake adjusters of this type without resorting to heat. Overnight soak does the trick.

Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-24 09:47 AM by NOHOME.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Rear brakes are done. Handbrake working and new lines to both sides. The cupro-nickel lines should last a good long time and the POR should keep the rust at bay. It is a neat car in that there is a lot of patina going on under the car, but there is still factory paint on the frame and underside of the coachwork. While this car might be the best rotisserie restoration candidate I have seen in a long time, it would be a crime to do so.

These had to go. I did not distort the lines taking them off, whoever did the brakes last time routed them in this condition. The one going to the rear was the worst since it hung way below the chassiseye popping smiley

The junction block was plugged solid.

Will remake these and reroute along original paths as soon as I figure out what that path is!

These cars are a lot of fun to work on, every "system" is like its own Rube-Goldberg machine.

Pete

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Finished replacing all the brake lines with cupro-nickel tubing. This stuff will last forever compared to steel.

There is a neat trick you can do when working with rolled tube. This is how it comes off the roll, and it is desirable to make it as stright as possible both for aesthetic and flaring purposes.

So, to make the new line nice and straight, just clamp one end in a fixed vice, and grip the other with a pair of vice-grips.( I fold the end over for better grip) Now, grab your favourite mine-sledge and give the vice grips a few good whacks. This streches the tube and makes it straight.

Same line after a few hits:

Here is the new front to rear line compared to the one that wan in there.

That concludes the rear brakes and the brake-lines. found a source to rebuild the carbs and a parts order for the front caliper, fuel tank and front bearings and seals goes out tomorrow.

The more I work on this thing, the more impressed I am with the solid condition. Despite the fact that if rains rodent shit on me the whole time I am underneath, the bottom of the floor pans still have original paint.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Wire-wheeled the the trunk area and gave it a good coat of POR. From here I will shoot a topcoat of IH red .

Carbs are out for re-build and the bulk of the parts to put it together are on the way.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Bit more progress on the clean-up while I wait for parts to arrive in a couple of weeks.

Trunk finished in red. Between the POR and a coat of IH red implement paint, it should keep the rust at bay for some time. Once again, pretty was not the goal here, rather preservation and stabilization of what is there.

A part of me wants to spread a layer of "barn dust grime" over the new paint in the trunk so that it better fits the overall theme of the car! I imagine that will come soon enough.

Methinks the battery cable routing ( goes through the air vent door in the cockpit as of now) needs some attention.eye popping smiley

Pete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-01 09:06 AM by NOHOME.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Things are moving along...

Just heard from both the parts supplier and the carb rebuilder. Parts are on the way from California and the carbs are apart for a clean and rebuild.

Carbs were really dirty as can be expected and there was a warning that rust was evident suggesting an extensive overhaul of the fuel system. Not to worry, its in the cards.

Hopefully they will be back soon and ready to bolt on.

Pete

Craig Clifton Avatar
Martinez, Ca, USA   USA
Pete, the packing gland for the intake went out with yesterday's mail.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Craig:

Thank you very much.

Great that all the pieces are starting to come together. Be nice to get this car out for a drive by the end of the month.

Peter

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Front hub repaired, big parts order just arrived in Port Huron for pick-up later this week ( saves a lot of $$$ over UPS to Canada) and the carb re-builder hopes to wrap up this week also.

Should see a lot of action on this over the weekend and next week.

Pete

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Got the big shipment of parts yesterday. Started to put things back together today.

Front hubs with new bearings and disc back on car.

Repair to the hub was great and a few hundred cheaper than sourcing the new hub!

The batteries in the 100-4 are meant to be 2 6 volt units stored in a torture chamber. the previous attempt to re-route and convert to 12 volts left a bit to be desired,
so cleaned up the routing to a new shut-off switch. Installed new battery cables with the moulded on connectors rather than the clamp on ones that came with the car.

Ran the cable back to the bottom of the car through a grommet. This used to be routed inside the car, under the seat and out the heater flap to the solenoid!

Fabbed up some clamps to hold the brake-line-battery combo.

New rear flex line in place.

The bad news is that the calipers that I thought would be easy peasy wont come apart insofar as the pistons vacating the bores so that I can install new seals. Gonna have to work on that one.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-23 10:09 PM by NOHOME.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Battery holder is done. Yeah, it could have gone back to original, but lets face it, the original system really sucks. Built a nice mount in the rear a-la 3000

An issue I ran into right away is that the new tank has a fuel line fitting that has no relation to the factory fitting on the tank. Asussual, I suspect it is a chineasium size that will fall somewhere between metric and imperial.

Also, where the new tank has a recess for the fuel level sender, it is not deep enough.

I did make the effort to seal the sump to floor. Put a lot more of this stuff in place to avoid any vibrations.

If anyone has any idea what the thread and plumbing parameters are for the MOSS tank, please let me know as it seems to fall halfway between metric and standard sizes.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
MC ready to go in. Clear coated the reservoir cause I like the look

New fan belt
Oil changed
New coolant

Getting close.

Waiting on Carbs and calipers to return from suppliers who are rebuilding.

Just for fun, stuck a bore-scope up the oil drain plug while doing the oil change. Looks reasonable in there.

Pete

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
The carbs landed back home yesterday. As I did not want to deal with the hassle of sending them back and forth over the border, I was lucky to find a person on this side who does good work. Bruce does not focus on spit-shine finishes, but the quality of his work seems quite good.

As a parting comment to the job, Bruce reminded me that checking the manifold flanges for flatness is a good idea. This is something I am aware of with SU intakes but may or may not have remembered to do so. Good thing I checked.

Blacked out the flange and put some stick on sandpaper on a flat steel surface

A bit of back and forth on the flat gritty surface reveals this

Hmmmm...not much impressed with the lh side of that manifold, so back it went till the entire surface was nice and shiny. Did all the matting flanges ( they all needed it) and the phenolic spacers. Not to say that the gaskets would not have handled this, but last thing I want to be doing after getting this all back on is trying to sort poor running due to a small vacuum leak.

So, after the usual cursing to get the rear carb lower nut tightened up, the carbs are on

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Brakes are done and bled and the pedal is good and firm. Handbrake works fine, so we will call the brakes done.

Messed around with the throttle linkage to see if I could get it to work as per the factory diagram, all to no avail. Good news is that I got the fix from Craig that should put me on the right path. Seems this diagram is not correct:

The lever coming off the pedal shaft needs to face forward rather than backwards.

As the car has to be driveable in order to consummate the project, I figured maybe I should have a peek at the electrickery portion of the car; its all home-built wiring with all the wires being white!

Bit of investigation and I discover that the light switch has it's own fuse (aftermarket). Put a new fuse in and this happened:

So, the fuel pump works and pumps fuel.
The headlight, running light and brake lights work

Turn signal lights don't work

Left to do:

Replace the section of fuel line from the pump to the front of the car; was going to reuse the original, but 20 years of rotten fuel is going to be problematic
find the fitting to mate the new tank to the fuel lines.

With a bit of luck it might move under its own power this week-end. Befitting of a Canadian thanksgiving.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links