Need BN2 gearbox front input shaft oil seal

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

offsideundo Keith Anderson
Brandon, Mississippi, USA   USA
I need a front gearbox (input shaft) oil seal for my '56 BN2 100.
Moss and VB have the full gasket kits, but neither have the front seal for a BN2 side shift.
"Austin Healey Spares" in England offers them, but is there a USA Healey parts site that has them?
Keith Anderson

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, Ontario, Canada   CAN
As far as I'm aware the BN2 gearbox did not originally have a lip type seal on the input shaft.
Originally it used a scroll type seal. i.e. a thread cut in the housing that was intended to wind the oil back into the box.
If you are using an original type bell housing with the mechanical clutch and it has been modified to accept a lip seal I suspect that you will have to find a replacement by comparing dimensions to what is available from a bearing supply company.

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

filospinato Avatar
filospinato Jake Voelckers
Cary, NC, USA   USA
The BN2 does indeed use a rubber lip type seal. I searched and searched for one that matched the dimensions of the one I pulled out, ended up having to buy one that's just a little shorter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Michael S Avatar
Michael S Michael Salter
Dwight, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Well, you live and learn!!!
Yes finally found it in the "Controls" section of the Parts Book....
Can't imagine why they dropped the seal with the 100/6 then reintroduced it with the 3000.
Wonder if it is the same seal in the BN2 as used in the 3000. The part number is different but that doesn't mean much.

Michael Salter
Technical Chairman (Big Healeys)
Austin Healey Concours Committee

San Jose, California, USA   USA
I think they're the same as for the later cars: Moss# 021-192 $1.89 (same part# as 4-sp centershift boxes).

It's been a few years since I had our BN2 gearbox out, but IIRC the seal looked the same as the one in my BJ8. You might call Moss tech support and see if they know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-31 05:43 PM by Bob Spidell.

Dave 100M Avatar
Dave 100M Dave Ray
Nr Bournemouth, Dorset, UK   GBR
1955 Austin-Healey 100 "Mrs Healey The 100 'M"
1970 Austin-Healey Sprite "Miss Healey Spridget"
Hi Keith,
I fitted an oil seal to my 100M BN2, some time back, when I had the box out. I believe I got it from A.H. Spares in the UK. Unfortunately I have a leak from the front end of the box and suspect it is the same seal, All I can think is, that the first motion shaft bearing has movement or maybe the spigot bearing in the crankshaft. Before anyone asks, it is definitely gearbox oil not engine oil. I also had the crank machined and fitted the crankshaft seal kit to the engine around the same time.
It might be worth investing in a first motion shaft bearing at the same time, just in case!!
Dave

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links