AHExp

The 100 Forum

Need help with throttle linkage. What am I missing?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
1967 MG MGB GT "Maggie (GT From Hell)"
I think I now know why the mid shaft was hitting the floatbowl on the rear carb. I think that when I rotated the manifold bellcrank, I failed to move the ball end to the inside of the attachment point.

Will have another stab at this tonight.

Really appreciate the help on this. Hard to believe that of all the work that I have done on this car, this one silly point has taken the most time to resolve.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
I think that the issue is going to be in this arrangement combined with the pedal lever flipped the wrong way.

When the bell- crank was flipped to the correct orientation, the rod might have been on the outside and hence hitting the float.

FYI this is the way this bell- crank was when it arrived and the throttle did work. I imagine their fix was to flip the pedal lever as a solution.

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Throttle sorted. Thanks all,

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Trevor Parker Avatar
Trevor Parker Trevor Parker W
Sidney, BC, Canada   CAN
1954 Austin-Healey 100 "Healey Beep Beep"
If you do some research on the subject you will find that it was a technical error from the start. This problem actually put them out of their first rally. These ball joints were designed to Pull and not to push . All you have to do is make sure that the two that are pushing are done up fairly tight and that will prevent them from popping out of there socket. Cheers Trevor

NOHOME P P
O, Ontario, Canada   CAN
If it were up to me I would replace them with the internally lubricated ball joint linkages from MCmasterCarr. At lesss than $8 a piece it would be a huge improvement over the original spring loaded design.

I have used these on my MGB along with a nicer throttle cable from LOKAR and it makes a huge difference to the feel of the pedal. With the distal end positively located, it now has a linear feel rather than the initial slop that is present with the stock cotter pin and washer arrangement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-24 07:49 AM by NOHOME.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links