windscreen

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

krudge4 Keith R
Royston, herts, UK   GBR
Can anyone give me any tips about re assembling and refitting the screen to the car, I have rebuilt the windscreen using AH spares corner brackets and then SC brackets but both suppliers are such a terrible fit leaving gaps on the joints in the corners Also the spacer rubber which goes in the bottom of the screen frame is far to thick and the winscreen wont go far enough into the frame, also the pillars dont seem to fit now the shroud has been refitted

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Jack T Avatar
Greensburg, PA, USA   USA
Keith,

I ran into all of the same problems when putting my car back together. I managed to re-bend new brackets until I got satisfactory joints at the corners. Not perfect, but acceptable. I used the original spacer rubber strips as they were thinner than the new ones.

As for fitting the posts to the car, I used a big hammer with a block of wood and a small pry bar to re-shape the shroud opening as needed to get the posts in. It was still a tight fit, and I wish I had paid more attention to them before the car was painted. Most important, I think, is to assemble the windshield in the frame and position the posts to accept it without putting any stress on the glass. I dry-fitted everything before installing the windshield frame to scuttle seal to make sure it didn't alter the fit.

All part of the fun of putting a car back together after it's been apart.

Good luck.

Jack

rusty1c Avatar
rusty1c Peter D
Antioch, California, USA   USA
Keith,
Just like Jack, I had exactly the same problems. After struggling for a number of hours one Saturday I finally got the "original windshield" and posts back in and bolted to the scuttle. Went out the next morning and there was a crack that started in the lower right corner and ran to the top of the windshield. Must have put stress into the glass. When I installed the new glass and bolted the posts in I used a free floating protractor to check the vertical angles on the pillar posts to make sure they were the same. That way I know there was no stress introduced. Its been a few months and so far everything seems to be just fine.
Pete

Montview Silver Member Ronald Keysor
Fleming Island, Florida, USA   USA
Didn't have any trouble with the rubber bit supplied with my windshield from British Victoria, but I did find that the corner brackets did not pull the corners of the frame together at a couple of points. I filled and redrilled the holes on one or two of those pieces and got a nice, snug fit. I found that the screws used for these bits are the very common ones used to mount electrical outlets in electrical boxes, etc. I had lots of those in my screw accumulation. As Peter D says, and lots of others have also warned, it is critical not to stress the windshield when tightening down the corner posts. Many owners have found "morning after" cracks!

DerekJ Avatar
DerekJ Derek Job
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
The windscreen posts will never fit accurately at the first attempt you need to make some spacers and pack them to fit between the posts and the body.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links