100/6 Rebuild

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

QuicVic VIctor Buchanan
York, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
I have purchased a 1957 100-6 project. A barn find in boxes that was disassembled in 1968 as the then owner contemplated building it back up as a car to race. I have deliberated over it since Christmas last, in the meantime having the chassis and inner body dipped and sorted, replacing the boot floor which was wrong and at the moment it is sat awaiting me to purchase aluminium panels. I intend to do wings, lids and door frames and skins, gear-box tunnel and probably inner wheel arches too. I think I may have found just the place to get the wings hand made (slightly more £ than AH but much less fitting required and a better grade of alley) Do I go the whole hog and get the lids done this way too or are the AH lids ok?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_5468.JPG    50 KB
IMG_5468.JPG

tfr1 Gerald Etzel
Atlanta, georgia, USA   USA
QuicVic,

I am the "poster" from BAT yesterday.

You have made great progress.

I agree with you decision to finish in alloy panels. It will be spectacular in Competition trim. It may cost a little more to build, but you will really have something special.

You might consider putting MM, 4 wheel disc brakes on you car. It is very simple to do.
My BN4 is fitted with Dunlop Brakes all around. Only special made pieces were rear caliper mounts and rear brake rotors.
Mounts were very simple and I acquired an original brake rotor drawing and had Coleman make a pair.

tfr1

Attach pic was taken as I was fitting my hard top. Still needs black paint.

Attachments:
20161207_104007.jpg    36.4 KB
20161207_104007.jpg

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
Vic -

I agree with Gerald, go with the alloy panels now. If you do decide to "step" out on the track with it, you'll be happy you did. Ah panels fit as good as most, all need to be worked and messaged to fit properly. I have a good panel beater that assisted me with the fitment on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer. If your interested in racing a big Healey checkout the thread we started under the Motorsports Healey forum: http://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,5181

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
'57 lift eastside-lr.jpg    42.4 KB
'57 lift eastside-lr.jpg

'57 lift front-lr.jpg    42.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
'57 100-6 MM PRW T2.jpg    28.6 KB
QuicVic VIctor Buchanan
York, North Yorkshire, UK   GBR
Thanks for your reply Doug. I have found the link and will certainly be itching to get on the track. I watched a red Healey marauding through a pack of E-type lightweights, Lotus 11s etc at Spa on You-tube last night. My favorite track and I'm dying to return (only raced there once so far - but Eau Rouge has to be on every racers bucket list) Your car looks fantastic and your AH panels do too. I am a little bit behind you on my build.

Victor

hankjay Hank Doll
Young, New South Wales, Australia   AUS
Hi Gerald
I have a 100-4 that has discs all around, the PO told me the car was used for racing. The car came in Parts and there are some parts missing in particular the part that holds the caliper to the stub axle.
In your reaction to Victor Buchanan you refer to drawings of these parts, would it be possible to post these drawings?
Hank Jay

tfr1 Gerald Etzel
"My BN4 is fitted with Dunlop Brakes all around. Only special made pieces were rear caliper mounts and rear brake rotors.
Mounts were very simple and I acquired an original brake rotor drawing and had Coleman make a pair."

Hank Jay,

I did not mean to imply that I have caliper mount drawings. What I have is a rear brake rotor drawing. I already had front caliper mounts to fit the dunlop disc brakes.
They are very similar to the mounts found on later Healey's. Dunlop's have a little different bolt spacing on the mount than a Girling type 14. The mount is an easy fabrication or easier yet, you can buy a pair from Denis Welch.

I had rear Dunlop calipers. The mount was a 1/2" thick flat plate with about a .050" cut made at the adaptor attachment point to caliper to center the rotor.A very simple piece to make.
The drawing I have is for the rear rotor. I received the rotor drawing from a friend that has an original Healey BN4 with a factory provided 4 wheel disc brake package. I made a couple of very small changes to the drawing to suit my needs. Coleman made a corrected drawing for me.
You can take this drawing and have someone make a pair of rotors or buy a pair of rotors and caliper mounts from Welch.

I do hope this helps.

Attachments:
brake rotor.pdf    408.4 KB

BN4 left front.jpg    37 KB
left rear rotor copy.jpg    30.5 KB
left rear thru 60 spokes.jpg    43.2 KB
hankjay Hank Doll
Hi Gerald, looking through the spokes, it seems your handbrake set-up is different from mine. Are they Jaguar?

tfr1 Gerald Etzel
HankJay,

I believe they are.

My original brake calipers did not have parking brake parts. An old friend of mine said that he had piles of old dunlop calipers in a drum and I could have whatever I wanted.
We picked thru parts until I found what would fit and give me full travel of the parking brake lever. They are possibly from a MK1. My friend had a British car salvage yard for 25 years and had a lot of stuff at one time. He sold the business but kept some odds and ends of stuff.

TFR1

Attachments:
dunlop rear waiting to be installed.jpg    35.1 KB
dunlop rear waiting to be installed.jpg

Andrewn Avatar
Andrewn Andrew Nielsen
McKenzie Hill, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Registration HLYBN-4"
This is my 100/6 rear brake setup. I believe that these were factory fitted in 158 for factory car homologation.

Attachments:
Picture 233.jpg    42.4 KB
Picture 233.jpg

Picture 232.jpg    54.4 KB
Andrewn Avatar
Andrewn Andrew Nielsen
McKenzie Hill, Victoria, Australia   AUS
1958 Austin-Healey 100-Six "Registration HLYBN-4"
Gerald in these photos the sizes can be read as 2 1/4" at the fronts and 2" at the rear. The original booster was a girling but was relaced by a modern holden model - chevy to you I suppose.

Attachments:
DSCN1566 - Copy.JPG    60.8 KB
DSCN1566 - Copy.JPG

Picture 233.jpg    42.4 KB
tfr1 Gerald Etzel
Andrew,

Thanks for the additional details.

hankjay Hank Doll
First of all a big thanks for the info to Gerald and Andrew, it will be very helpful putting the brakes together. It looks as if Gerald has new rotors, are they still available?
Hank

tfr1 Gerald Etzel
Front Rotors are off the shelf, standard Healey rotors. I believe all front rotors are same except ones on the very last model of BJ8 brakes.
Rears will need to be custom made( see drawing I posted), unless Denis Welch has produced rotors to fit your application. Check the Welch web site.

Good luck,

Gerald

Randy Forbes Avatar
Parrish, Florida, USA   USA
1957 Austin-Healey 100-Six
1999 BMW M Coupe "Blue Car"
1999 BMW M Roadster "Black Car"
2001 BMW M Roadster "Gray Car"
In reply to # 193959 by Dougie Vic -

I agree with Gerald, go with the alloy panels now. If you do decide to "step" out on the track with it, you'll be happy you did. Ah panels fit as good as most, all need to be worked and messaged to fit properly. I have a good panel beater that assisted me with the fitment on my '57 100-6 MM vintage racer. If your interested in racing a big Healey checkout the thread we started under the Motorsports Healey forum: http://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,5181

Dougie, your shop is disgustingly clean; I don't know how you can possibly get any work done in it!

Mine on the other hand, is the polar opposite...

winking smiley

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
Oh...it will get messy again this winter, motors coming out for a full rebuild. USA made billet crank this time around with a few other new goodiesthumbs up

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1955 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links