Under bonnet framework - bracing

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

blusebring59 Neil Anderson
Malta, IL, USA   USA
Can someone tell me or verify that all 100-6 bonnets, inc. the ones with the exterior raised center crease, had the cross brace on the underside, near the side safety catches, as pictured on this early 3000 bonnet?

I have to repair the underside of a friend's bonnet and it is missing the bonnet latch bracket and the cross brace, if it is supposed to have one. Why anyone would remove the bonnet latch bracket is way beyond me unless they planned to use leather straps like some of the works cars did.

Thanks for any help.

Neil Anderson
'60 BT7
'59 Sprite project

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
025.JPG    21.6 KB
025.JPG

johnbn6 Avatar
johnbn6 john nieuwenhuizen
kerkrade, limburg, Netherlands   NLD
Neil, I have a centre crease 100/6 bonnet and it has the cross brace. I would think that all the bonnets would have them to add rigidity.

Malta, IL, USA   USA
Thanks for the reply, John. I sort of assumed that all the 6-cylinder cars would have this brace. The photo shows what I am up against trying to repair this bonnet. The area where the missing latch bracket attaches has been buggered, and with the missing cross brace, it will be a challenge to make correct. It is too bad the bracing is messed up as the outer skin is in very good shape. I might be better off trying to find a bonnet where the skin is rusted, but the underside bracing is in good shape and then replace the front bracing onto the good outer skin.

Fun, fun!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
002.JPG    42.7 KB
002.JPG

DerekJ Avatar
DerekJ Derek Job
Cotswolds, Gloucestershire, UK   GBR
The early 100-Sixes did not have a cross brace. In fact that was the reason for the centre crease - to stiffen the bonnet. Later the cross brace was added and existed together with the centre crease until the latter was eventually phased out. Not all 100-Sixes had the centre crease.

Derek
www.healeysix.net

Malta, IL, USA   USA
Thanks Derek for this info. I will see if the owner of the bonnet has any idea if the car is early in production, to determine if it should have the cross brace. If anyone knows on what chassis # the cross brace was introduced would be helpful.

Neil

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, Chicago, IL, USA   USA
1958 Austin-Healey 100-Six ~ For Sale ! ~
Hi Neil,

The car is early, body #730, BN4L030660, so based on Derek's website info on "Production Data" I estimate it to be a late '57 (before Oct'57). It has all the early Longbridge features detailed on Derek's site (thanks Derek - great resource) like the ridged bonnet, bonnet stay on left / US drivers side, lockable drivers door, early lower profile "Longbridge" roof and sliding hood bow. It also has original olive green paint on an early 6 port head engine, but this likely was a replacement since the production data indicates the change to 6 port engine was at earliest car 48863 in Oct'57.

I have been scouring google pics to find an early underside bonnet shot, but no luck.

I have found one pic (attached) of a later ridged100-6 hood with the stay on the right that does have the brace.

I'll keep searching.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-21 11:07 PM by lewmac.

Attachments:
under hood brace 2.jpg    8.5 KB
under hood brace 2.jpg

Texas57 Silver Member Robert C
Stephenville, TX, USA   USA
Here is a photo of my 57... I hope it helps.

Robert

Attachments:
IMG_0169.JPG    36.9 KB
IMG_0169.JPG

Dougie Avatar
Dougie Doug Escriva
Portland, Oregon, USA   USA
Without carpet....

Attachments:
'57 100-6 MM Early Pic Bonnet up.jpg    68.7 KB
'57 100-6 MM Early Pic Bonnet up.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links