AHExp

The Sprite Forum

What Sprite do you drive? New Members, introduce yourself!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

JSR Susan E
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Hi, I am new. This is my 59 Bug Eye Sprite. I inherited it from my dad. He bought it new and dated my mom in it. It was on blocks for most of my child hood. He restored it about 20 years ago and used it as a summer time driver in his retirement. After he passed I put it in storage for three years. Just got it out. Runs great but is a little tricky getting started. I suspect I am still dealing with old fuel. The blinkers and windshield whippers do not work but the head lights do. Not sure what is going on. Any suggestions? I would like to keep it but I know nothing about it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
59 Sprite.jpg    52 KB
59 Sprite.jpg

TedRishel Theodore Rishel
Long Beach, MS, USA   USA
Wow! What a great looking old Sprite! I wish my Dad was as cool as yours. Don't worry, wiring issues are standard equipment on these cuties. Probably just a ground wire. There is so much good will and experience on this forum it's worth buying a LBC just to be part of it. Search the archives and read the posts. You can fix anything.
Unlike the modern computerized monstrosities, these cars are really easy to work on.
Welcome. And have fun!

frogeye61 Avatar
frogeye61 Donn Engler
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
1957 Triumph MC Tiger Cub
1961 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "FenrisSprite"
1961 Austin-Healey Sprite "FenrisSprite"
1963 Land Rover 88SW    & more

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JSR Susan E
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
Thanks, I will check it out.

JSR Susan E
Boise, Idaho, USA   USA
It was a bad fuse. 10 minute fix. Back on the road. Thanks

bluewasp John T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
I bought this car in 1996 that was in a barn and had not been tagged since 1970. The original restorer passed away after having stripped it for the restoration. Brought the car home with the parts in various boxes. Sat in the garage until last October when I found a local restorer. Took delivery on the car Saturday. The colors are 56 Chevy crocus yellow and laurel green.

Attachments:
Sprite 6-2017 001.JPG    27.6 KB
Sprite 6-2017 001.JPG

Sprite 6-2017 002.JPG    49.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sprite 6-2017 003.JPG    46.1 KB
bigjohn892 Charles J
Hixson, tennessee, USA   USA
Hey guys. New member, Charlie Johnson with a fathers day '60 BE present. Wife and kids bought it for me to carve my desires to have another Sprite.
I've had four drivers including , as of now, 2 '60s, 1 '63 and 1 '65. Also 2 strictly autocross cars, 1 '60 and 1 '63.
I bought my first '60 in 1961 and made 5 trips between San Francisco and Knoxville TN while in the Navy. This one turned into an autocross car and driver for about 8 yeares. After that I found a '63 that I restored to the best of my abilities. (pic attached). Kept this one until 2003 when we moved to live on a houseboat. No garage so it had to go. Raced a couple of Sprites of various years including the '63, pic attached.
The latest one is undergoing massive repairs to the brakes which brought me to this site to get help. This is still in progress.

Attachments:
IMG_0267MA30172882-0001.JPG    63.5 KB
IMG_0267MA30172882-0001.JPG

IMG_0311MA30172882-0002.JPG    37.7 KB
IMG_0313MA30172882-0003.JPG    36.7 KB
AmbitiousButRubbish Chris Argue
Tempe, Arizona, USA   USA
Hey all, my name is Chris I'm a new member from the Phoenix Arizona area. I have a Bugeye that I am working on restoring at the moment hope to get it on the road in the later part of this year. Despite the Arizona climate it seems I was still able to find a nicely rusted out Bugeye so the restoration has been quite extensive so thanks for all the help in advance winking smiley. I have an affinity for small British roadsters and I am hoping this is the first of many to call my garage home.

These pictures were taken a couple of years back when I fist purchased the car.

Attachments:
CIMG1556.JPG    36.9 KB
CIMG1556.JPG

CIMG1557.JPG    29.3 KB
Sherr20 Gerald Sherrill
Belton, Texas, USA   USA
Hello, preparing to start restoration of my wife's first car a 59' Bugeye. She has had it 31 years and is in serious need of restoration as there is lots of rust. It had a 1275cc already installed when she bought it in 1986. I'll get some picture here soon.

Mountie61 Sam Harvey
Indio, California, USA   USA
Hi Folks! I'm a new member but an old BG Sprite fan. It was my first car. I bought it new when I was in school at WVU. Back then it gather more attention than any exotic car would ever in today's world and I should know I've seen enough of them since I've lived in Southern California for 40 years. Back then when my wife and I parked it on the street people it drew a crowd and we had to excuse ourselves to get in it. Driving it though the small town created a parade atmosphere as people would stop and stare. That was the fun part. The bad part was "The Prince of Darkness" electrical system and the fact in the winter you put all the heat on the windshield to keep it clean. But oh it was so much fun driving it on the curves in West Virginia. Cut the tread off the Dunlops in 13,000 miles drifting around curves.
Afraid I don't have an AH any more so I picked up a 2000 Miata which a little 92 year old lady had put 29,000 miles on. It is true was has been said about it that it reminds you of the old English roadsters. But my heart is with you lucky and fortunate people who own a BG so enjoy what you have!!!!smiling smiley

toddalas Avatar
toddalas Todd Lassa
Ferndale, Michigan, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Nancy Drew/Bluey"
Our 1960 Sprite Bugeye. Recently had a birthday; Aug. 17-18, 1960 according to British Heritage Trust.

Attachments:
IMG_2441.jpg    49.2 KB
IMG_2441.jpg

Sloffie John Sloffie E
Ridgefield, CT, USA   USA
Howdy,

I was at a car show the other day and had no intention of purchasing another car, I already have too many. I saw this car in the back corner of the show, begging for help with a for sale sign. Price was too low to pass up, so I made a deal, my wife made the usual comment do you really need another car, I responded Of Course I Do! I'm an old guy, I've restored all kinds of cars, raced open wheel cars and I've seen several Sprites on track in other race groups which always got my curiosity. The car was nasty and dirty, the previous owners did the best they could. I gave her a really good bath, compounded out the Single stage respray paint job, pulled the interior, floors aren't too bad only a few spots have issues. Pulled those the bumpers off and here's the way she looks right now, after one weekend of work.

So now the fun begins.

Sloffie

Attachments:
image.jpeg    56.6 KB
image.jpeg

image(1).jpeg    41 KB
ahken Avatar
ahken Ken Finnigan
Kamloops, BC, Canada   CAN
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 BJ8 "Come Along Little Horseys"
Hello Michael neighbour,
Welcome to the forum. This is Big Brother BJ8 in Kamloops and my handler is Ken Finnigan.
We have a Brit group here in Kamloops and we do a fair amount of cruising, often/ occasionally through Armstrong. We should get together sometime. We do have a Sprite / Midget
in our gropup.Good luck in your adventure. Regards Ken F.

Strathmore, Alberta, Canada   CAN
Hi from Alberta Canada, I am just starting the restoration of AN5L/25164 the car is currently in a dreadful condition having been butchered by persons unknown in an attempt to fit an oversize motor. Luckily I have a second vehicle that has sufficient good parts to allow one good car to be made from the two. The sad part is that the butchered car's body is in tremendous condition having virtually no rot and only slight collision repair noticeable. I have numerous spare parts and the car came with an 1100cc motor and two Gear boxes one a smooth case that has been reconditioned. I am looking for a 1275cc motor hopefully local to me.

Attachments:
image.jpeg    42.1 KB
image.jpeg

image.jpeg    39.5 KB
frogeye61 Avatar
frogeye61 Donn Engler
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark   DNK
1957 Triumph MC Tiger Cub
1961 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "FenrisSprite"
1961 Austin-Healey Sprite "FenrisSprite"
1963 Land Rover 88SW    & more
Looks like a very good project to do.
Nice collection of bonnets!
The engine room repairs fortunately don't look too difficult. All flat panels! (What were they thinking when cutting the chassis over?)
Do a quality repair and you will be very happy with it.
1275 is fine, but the 1100 is not a motor to off the cuff discount because it's smaller. It has a longer stroke than the 1275 and if it's a "10CC" it has the big bearings (2 inch). The 1100 engines though are more torque than speed, which is better for town driving. But with a 3.7 diff they do very well, and much better gas mileage than the 1275.

Improved link to A-series Sizing and Compression Ratio program, now also with version excel 2003
Frogeye restoration photos on Flickr

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1957 Austin Healey 100 Six

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links