AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, Chicago, IL, USA   USA
1958 Austin-Healey 100-Six ~ For Sale ! ~
Front suspension installed and crossflow stock radiator.

Used polyurethane bushes which went in great. At the top of king ping, does anyone know if you need to use a washer to stop bolt and shock digging into urethane ? The original style bushes had that metal insert. Any thoughts ?

Also, the tie rods did not mate well with the steering arms, maybe only half thread depth. Steering arms are 68-69 Sptrite, so maybe wrong tie rods..... Gerard will know, are they different ?

Thanks
Lew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0044.JPG    60.8 KB
IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG    40.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Lew you need Steering Arms off of your BE not later Steering arms. The Later arms will cause TRE to rub on the inside of your nice wheels. He posted a note on here or on BCF a day or so ago re. Correct Steering Arms Part #,

And I would add a washer if it will fit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-06-22 08:54 PM by Jim Gruber.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Too much fun! Looking good!

Steering arms are BTA648 and 649. '68/'69 should be correct, so double check the casting numbers.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lewmac Avatar
Hmmm..

Casting numbers are AHA9957 and AHA9958 , which a quick google search says are later model from chassis No. GAN5-115643 onwards.

However, I am almost positive that these cam off the '68-'69 Sprite and I know it had a "old" style rack.

I do now remember I parted out another Mk4 Sprite, so the steering arms must have come from that car. Too many parts 1

Curious.... off to storage garage to find some earlier ones.

"AHA9957 and AHA9958 are right and left, late type.

The early ones are BTA648 and 649.

The difference is in the size of the hole for the track rod end.

Early type are used with the Morris minor derived steering rack and the late type with the Triumph rack.

The steering arms are only interchangeable if used with the corresponding rack and mounting brackets."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-02 08:45 PM by lewmac.

lewmac Avatar
What a day !

Snag 1. Trial fit of Sebring Bonnet and it hit the top of crossflow radiator. Had to lower radiator approx 1/4: so it is now sitting on the steering rack mounting bolts. Will retest bonnet fit tomorrow.

Snag 2. Realized that the LCB headers need to be installed BEFORE the engine ! I now remember this form 30 years ago with my first Bugeye. What a pain .... back up plan is to use the two piece Pacesetter headers I had for next Bugeye project which can be installed with engine in place. I guess that is why they are two pieces !

Snag 3. The dual tip Monza Muffler I have for this car had the mounting bracket welded at the wrong end of the muffler, about 12 " from the correct position. No wonder they were selling these cheap !

Found the correct steering arms in storage so they will go on tomorrow, as well as brakes and gas tank.

lewmac Avatar
Getting close to fire up ! Only gas tank and choke cable to install tomorrow. And then fire that baby up.

New GR starter with bypass from British Starters went in easily. Turned out I had the wrong solenoid installed, so changed that out for the old one and all good.

Fuel pump installed, wired in and working. New exhaust pipe and Monza twin tip muffler installed. Pacesetter headers seem to be touching steering column. Anybody had this issue ?

Weber 45mm, fuel pump. fuel line and filter all installed.

Cheers
Lew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-03 08:13 AM by lewmac.

Attachments:
IMG_0043.JPG    55.8 KB
IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG    56.9 KB
IMG_0047.JPG    51.1 KB
IMG_0049.JPG    58.3 KB
IMG_0053.JPG    43 KB
lewmac Avatar
Finished engine bay off with a nice, small aluminium oil catch tank. Car starts and runs nicely... well it did, but today I had to pull the engine and gearbox to replace the gearbox and resolve a clutch issue.

The joys of Spriting !

Attachments:
IMG_0066.JPG    42.5 KB
IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG    58.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links