Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mxp01 Michael Pennell
Brentwood, Tennessee, USA   USA
All:

I've got a 59 BE with a base 948 and S1 carbs. When I drive at high speeds (60 mph+) the car will begin to falter, like it wants to stall. I then back off the speed and it recovers and I can continue cruising at a lower speed. The car seems to perform fine at anything below 50 mph.

Thoughts?

Mike Pennell

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
threadless Avatar
threadless Silver Member Erick M
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
It sounds like fuel starvation to me. What are the other details on your fuel system? Mechanical pump or upgraded electronic? How are the brass floats in your carbs, are they airtight and floating according to spec? How are the needles? Fuel filter? That's one possibility, at least.

Erick

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Fuel- I'm betting that you're running a mechanical pump, and it can't keep up with fuel demands anymore. I suggest installing an electric cube (Facet) pump, it made my BE way more reliable (if there is such a thing with 60 year old cars)

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
radibob Bob Brooks
Suffield, CT, USA   USA
If you have a fuel filter be sure to change that before you do anything else, sometimes they get partially clogged and look ok but are starving the carbs for fuel

shalleck Avatar
shalleck Gold Member Steve H
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
It sounds like fuel starvation, but don't ignore simple electrical issues. My BE was doing that yesterday, but would smooth out if I let off or gave it more gas. I was trying to nurse it home when it died. Checked and fuel was ok. Turned out as a loose low tension lead at the distributor.
Why it would smooth out when I gave it gas is beyond me.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1954 Austin Healey 100

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links