BRAKES HELP

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

bigjohn892 Charles J
Hixson, tennessee, USA   USA
I'm a 75 yr. old who has just bought a bugeye to return to my early year with Sprites. Had a 60 and 63 for about 40 years and have rebuilt everything on them as you might imagine in 40 years. I have run into something that has me stumped.
The car came to me with NO brakes at all. The master had been replaced but the rest of the system is trash so I changed cylinders, shoes, drums as well as all fasteners and springs. Still hardly any brakes??? Have to pump pedal to get anything. Checked the hoses on front and there is no swelling. I noticed the rear cylinders are positioned such that the cylinder is above the bleed port. Also the bleed port is connected to the same point as the brake pressure inlet.
My question is how do I get air out of the cylinder When bleeding, the pressure diverts directly to the bleed port?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
The rear wheel cylinders have a banjo bolt type fitting for the bleeders. It sounds like you're missing those. Also, you don't say whether your fitting disc or drum in the front. The shoes need to be oriented correctly to work best. Most people make the mistake of mounting them "mirror image" which is incorrect. In the case of drum brakes, they need to be adjusted within one or two clicks of being locked. Also, there are two different master cylinders, depending on whether you have disc or drum. It would be best of you posted pictures.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
The Bleeder also needs to be in the top hole, air bubbles rise, Swap the bleeder screw with the blanking plug to get all of the air out. A set of calipers I recently purchased needed the Bleeder screw moved.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bigjohn892 Charles J
My bugeye has drum brakes and the front bleed normally. The rear brakes are the problem. I checked a friends bugeye, same year, and his rears are exactly the same. We both discussed how to bleed them for about 30 minutes and are stumped. I'll try to get a picture and post it.
Thanks for the reply.

bigjohn892 Charles J
The brakes are drum type and the problem is the rears.
There isn't a port that can be used on the top of the cylinder. I'll get some pics posted.

bigjohn892 Charles J
Here are two pics of the rear drums with the bleed port on the bottom side of the banjo fitting. My friends bugeye is exactly the same. So how can the cylinder bleed in this configuration????

Attachments:
IMG_0299MA30171383-0001.JPG    28.6 KB
IMG_0299MA30171383-0001.JPG

bigjohn892 Charles J
Sorry, one pic didn't transfer. Here it is, taken from rear of car.

Attachments:
IMG_0297MA30171385-0001.JPG    42.3 KB
IMG_0297MA30171385-0001.JPG

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Loosen the hard line into the Banjo fitting, pull the banjo bolt and then rotate the fitting such that the bleeder is pointed up. Then reinstall the banjo bolt, re-tighten everything and bleed it.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

bigjohn892 Charles J
I tried to rotate the banjo fitting so that the bleed port was on top but when doing that the port for the bleed screw is blocked by the axle housing. I believe the way it is is correct since the solid brake line fits perfectly and that line is attached to the axle housing with factory metal bands on both sides.
Can anyone post a pic of a 59-60 Mk 1 Sprite brake assembly so that we can compare. I have search all the forums and sites for pics that I could compare with but so far haven't found any.
My friends 60 Mk 1 is just like what I have on mine. Any ideas?
Here is a pic from the ground looking up and you can see ifthe banjo fitting is rotated it will hit the axle housing.

Attachments:
IMG_0302MA30171541-0001.JPG    49.7 KB
IMG_0302MA30171541-0001.JPG

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Both rear bleeders on my Bugeye are arranged with the bleeder on the bottom and pointing straight back. Been that way since I bought the car in 1968. Never had any problems bleeding the brakes.

The second photo below is a drawing from the factory service manual showing the cylinder mounted with the bleeder on the bottom.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-10 04:29 PM by refisk.

Attachments:
IMG_2746.JPG    49.7 KB
IMG_2746.JPG

23E0B166-658B-4C0F-9B0C-FF0963CFD1BD.JPG    50.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Brain fart, Front Calipers are where you might find the bleeder screw not at the top where tiny bubbles can get trapped.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Is that fitting 90 degrees? If not... how does flipping it affect the orientation?

bigjohn892 Charles J
The photo shows what my problem is. The bleed port is on the lower side of the cylinder as shown. How can air be expelled from the cylinder in this configuration? I'm not saying others haven't had the same problem as I have but I can't get mine to bleed.
I guess one method would be to remove the cylinder and fill with fluid then reassemble and connect lines. That bis more trouble than I want just yet.

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
I have not messed with the old style brakes in some time, and I can not tell from the picture if flipping the fitting will but the bleed port higher. By flipping, I mean ... remove the banjo bolt flip the brass junction and then reinstall the banjo bolt.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
You can't "flip" the fitting without redoing the hard lines.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Austin Healey Lenham Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links