Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
So it is 90 degrees from the inlet to the bleeder?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Yep.

In reply to # 193124 by trevorwj So it is 90 degrees from the inlet to the bleeder?

Attachments:
IMG_3177.JPG    49.8 KB
IMG_3177.JPG

bigjohn892 Charles J
Hixson, tennessee, USA   USA
In the case of my BE you can't flip the banjo fitting to get the bleed port facing up without the hard line being re-routed. Even then due to the orientation of the cylinder the bleed port comes out of the lower end of the cylinder. You can see this in all of the pics above.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
Not so. All you have to do is remove the banjo bolt and flip it 180 degrees.

In reply to # 193126 by bigjohn892 In the case of my BE you can't flip the banjo fitting to get the bleed port facing up without the hard line being re-routed. Even then due to the orientation of the cylinder the bleed port comes out of the lower end of the cylinder. You can see this in all of the pics above.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
Gerard, That is what I thought but I think he is saying that the orientation of the hard line is swept up so that it places the bleeder into the axle.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
I believe the brake lines are installed incorrectly then. It appears to me the hard line should be coming over the top and not from underneath. See the pictures below: In the photo and illustration, you can actually see the brake line coming from above. In the one where I have laid out the parts on the backing plate as the appear in the photo and illustration, it's the only possible explanation.

In reply to # 193134 by trevorwj Gerard, That is what I thought but I think he is saying that the orientation of the hard line is swept up so that it places the bleeder into the axle.

Gerard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-13 03:37 PM by pixelsmithusa.

Attachments:
Bugeye rear brake1.jpg    21 KB
Bugeye rear brake1.jpg

Bugeye rear brake2.jpg    22.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMAG0825.jpg    18.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
bigjohn892 Charles J
Well guys I may have had a major brain fart! All of my thinking was that there was a void in the cylinder when starting to bleed the brakes and that void would remain full of air since it was higher than the bleed port. I woke up at 3 this morning and realized this isn't true. The cylinder is fully compressed in the normal setting because of the springs on the shoes and the cylinder will NOT have a void containing air.
Now what else can cause my problem? After an hour in bed thinking about it I remembered the previous owner said he replaced the master cylinder and I decided just to replace all other items. Now I am wondering if he really did and if not can that help.
In my searches I saw another post on this site about the master cylinders from some company being assembled with the check valve installed incorrectly or on the wrong side of the cylinder. I'm going to remove and take it apart to see if that might be my problem today. Please be the problem!!

Dana1966 Dana H
Wichita, Kansas, USA   USA
Brakes can be bled by pumping fluid from the wheel back up to the master cylinder using a pump type oil can and a hose. Be sure to empty the master as needed. Start at the wheel farthest from the master and work back. This will keep all air bubbles going uphill. This method also allows a person to do it himself.
Good luck.
Dana

bigjohn892 Charles J
Well, I'm really stumped now.
Everything except brake lines replaced with new parts. Installed the new master cyl. this morning and bled the brakes so that there were no bubbles coming out. Pumped about a 1/2 pint thru the lines to make sure everything was full. Still no brake pedal????
I guess the next step is to get a rollback and take the BE to Rivergate Restoration for work and a 5 speed. I know Will and Bill Perry can get it going.

mes Mesney Edwards
Barnsley, gloucestershire, UK   GBR
Hi BigJohn
Rick Fisk is spot on, his photo and drawing from the AN5 Workshop Manual shows the orientation you should have. If the banjo's are facing any other way, try swopping sides rather than turning round.
Mes

Sprite1956 Roger Parry-Jones
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Big John,

Apart from the bleeder orientation issue, which I suspect you will resolve by swopping left to right, is it possible that the previous owner replaced the master cylinder with a disc brake master? I know that the early, twin brake/clutch master cylinder for all drum brakes looks exactly the same as the disc brake master but they are different bores and there is a check valve installed. 40 years ago I stripped the drum brakes from my Bugeye and fitted the later drum/disc set-up but retained the old master cylinder. The brakes had to be constantly pumped to retain pressure and it felt like air in the system. I had to replace the master cylinder to get a reasonable pedal. I later replaced the rear drums for early Morris Major/Austin Lancer/ Wolsey 1500 eight inch brakes and improved stopping power even further. The handbrake rod ends had to be heated and rotated to line up to the new slave cylinder handbrake actuators.

Good luck!

Roger

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Sorry guys, but except for the backing plates, the parts are not "handed", so recommending switching sides will not make any difference. I've given the solution already, but clearly it's been ignored as well as credited to another, so, I think I'm done here.

Gerard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-25 09:20 PM by pixelsmithusa.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Gerard,

I posted the same manual drawing and a photo of my brakes showing line and the banjo orientation in post number 10. thumbs up

In reply to # 193549 by pixelsmithusa Sorry guys, but except for the backing plates, the parts are not "handed", so recommending switching sides will not make any difference. I've given the solution already, but clearly it's been ignored as well as credited to another, so, I think I'm done here.

bigjohn892 Charles J
Hey Guys, w found the trouble with the brakes (I hope). Rivergate Restoration installed a 5 speed for me and I had him work on the brakes as well. Will told me the return adjustment stops on the brake pedals was set too high. Somehow adjusting this fixed the problem. I pick it up this week and will post more.
Next I have to get my bonnet back from the repair shop so I can drive the car. Really ready to try it out soon!

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
Goodrich 3/8unf auto brake bleeder bleed screws can be fitted. Quite a common upgrade in the UK
which means opening bleed screw 1/2 turn. Pumping brakes. There is a return valve which closes
and bleeding brakes can be a one man job,

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links