AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Marc,

I think you have similar issue to me that the final "extension" wires for the front indicator lights and the horn are not included in the harness, which is very frustrating. The bullet ends on those wires would go into a single bullet connector, and then another wire with a spade connector would go to the horn(s). Do you have any additional wire, probably not of the same colors.

Before you cut these ends, let me check my wire collection !

Cheers
Lew

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
lewmac Avatar
No wires of correct color, sorry ! You can buy all the correct connectors at various parts sites, Victoria British or Moss Motors the most common. Wire from auto store.

Cheers
Lew

Marscho Marc S
Albion, California, USA   USA
Lew,
You mean the wires in my harness are not the correct color for the horn? The harnes was supposed to be for a MK 1 Sprite. I bought it a long time ago. So, the purple and black and purple wires per the schematic are what they should be? Right?
Thanks-

Marc

lewmac Avatar
No for a Bugeye the brown black and brown Green are correct. See diagram $38 and #40.

What I was saying in my box of wiring bits and pieces I do have the colored wire extensions you need,

Later model cars, I have a Mk 3 harness, the horn wires are purple and purple black.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-12 09:23 PM by lewmac.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Marc your setup with hood release will be far riskier to fit. Hope those are VW Hood Latches that default to open just in case the cable breaks. If not you need to add some sort of default cable to the Latches as a just in case something slips or breaks.

Marscho Marc S
Lew,
thank you very much. That is an enormous help. And it takes worry out "incorrect wire colors" which would portel all kinds of future wiring problems. I so very much appreciate all of your help!
Can we exchange contact information for future wiring issues? My email is marscho22@gmail.com. I promise to not be a burden.
Marc

Marscho Marc S
Lew,

Actually, the color diagram seems to indicate the color wire I have for the horn - Brown with Black stripe and green with brown stripe (or brown with green stripe since both of those colors are the same width). And my horn has 2 wires not one. So, at the moment based your finding the color diagram all is well, at ;east from a logic point of view.

Thanks again, Marc

Marscho Marc S
Jim, I agree with the concern. And the whole mechanism is not worked out. I do not intend on using cable. I has to be break proof. Those latches are actually Jaguar! I intend to rig the Sprite bonnet "twist mechanism". But, I will report back to the Forum when it is done.

Marc

lewmac Avatar
Marc,

You will also find a brown black in the harness near the speedo and tach location. Just above the gear knob in the attached picture. This is the horn wire that attaches to the wire - purple from the brass ring on the Steering column plinth or dash cone.... see attached pic. All the dash cones I have either original or new copy have a purple wire, although it could be brown also !

Cheers
Lew

Attachments:
IMG_0030.JPG    18.8 KB
IMG_0030.JPG

New harness.JPG    60.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Marc,

Talk to Rut Rutledge. He's gone down this road before including using the VW Latches which again if Cable Breaks they default and spring open so you aren't stuck there. But IIRC he's scrapped the idea of hidden latches.Too hard with that big bonnet as a lever to keep things aligned. I'm sure he will find this note and comment.

Marscho Marc S
Lew,

Thanks for the color wiring diagram. It seems to be the correct schematic for an early BE, like my '60, which I have assumed is a MK1. My new harness is supposed to be for a MK1, but seems to have too many wires- yet to be determined! But, too many wires doesn't bother me, other than making it a bit more difficult figuring out the hook ups. So, that brings me to my question: What is the link to the color schematic you sent? I tried to print it, but the lettering to just not clear enough in all cases to read even with a magnifying glass.

Thanks, Marc

lewmac Avatar
Don't have a direct link as I found it on Goggle images. Search the forum as well, it may be posted. This link to one forum post

http://www.ahexp.com/phorum/read.php?6,177697

Cheers
Lew

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links