AHExp

The Sprite Forum

Just purchased a '67 Sprite...where do I begin?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

westfield7 Silver Member Michael Wooten
In the path of Totality, SC, USA   USA
1983 Westfield Seven "Green Car"
Brian, I have a brand new set of Goodridge brake lines for a Sprite. I had hoped the front pair would work on my Westfield (Spridget calipers) but they're too short. When you get to the ordering parts section of your rolling restoration, let me know.

--Michael

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
As to the windscreen, drive it as it is for now, Victoria British usually has a sale on them in the spring, I bought one for my BE with the rubbers for ~$150 this spring (They all had MO$$ numbers on them), then call your local hot rod shop and ask them where they get their glass done as most glass shops won't install glass if they haven't sourced it, and most have NO idea where to source Sprite windscreens. I got mine installed for $60 by using this method, I'd been driving with a set of cracks for 9 years.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

shalleck Avatar
shalleck Gold Member Steve H
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Brian, Come out to the IBCU British car show at Zionsville park on Aug 12th. There should be lots local Sprites and Midgets and their owners there. You can make contacts and get advice.
The local Austin Healey club can be helpful with tech sessions to help out.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
if your engine has 12cc to start you have a treasure ...

hoosiersprite Brian Young
Westfield, Indiana (IN), USA   USA
My VIN # is HAN9L0380...not sure if this helps in determining engine size. Also found stamp inside door with the following: ABL 060605.

earthur44 Eric Miller
Redmond-Bend, OR, USA   USA
not the body but a plate on engine at the front passengers side near the top... hard to miss

Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
You say "restoration" but I think what you mean is " I want to drive this around, what should I do to it to make it reliable?"

What is the budget? Money seems to matter to you and a true "restoration" requires a large amount of fiscal irresponsibility. ie its easy to dump $20k into a Midget if you want to make it new. It will be worth $10k when you are done!

Nothing makes a Midget more fun to drive that a complete front and rear suspension overhaul. It will transform the car and driving is the rasion d'etre for a Midget. Of course, it will also eat a $2000 hole in your wallet, so this advice wont apply to everyone.

On a less all inclusive budget, inspect the brakes and the front suspension kingpins and bushings. Midgets have very quick reactions, but become darty when the suspension is worn. Replace what is worn and note the condition of everything else. Drive it a lot and replace what breaks until the car stops breaking.

shalleck Avatar
shalleck Gold Member Steve H
Indianapolis, IN, USA   USA
Brian, I'm out of town for a few days and am having problems connecting. I'll contact you Sunday orMonday to see if I can help.

hoosiersprite Brian Young
Westfield, Indiana (IN), USA   USA
Sounds good...thanks!

Ryan R Avatar
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA   USA
If you're going to restore, it's a lot easier to do those projects at once (admittedly, I have a Sprite that I have been tearing apart, improving, rebuilding, then driving over and over for the last fifteen years). In retrospect, if I'd done what I really wanted all at once to begin with, I would have saved a ton of money and time.

I would think very hard about going through and checking anything that is (1) rubber, plastic, cork or paper; (2) holds fluid; or (3) is essential to the operation or safety of the car. I would check all those items and replace as needed. Suspension bushings, wheel bearings, brake hoses, engine gaskets, hydraulic seals, and so on. It's not a lot of fun, but probably save you a lot of headache down the road.

I'd also suggest finding a car club and a knowledgeable mechanic that works on these kind of cars (if you have either nearby). If not, this is a good resource and there are clubs on Facebook, too. You can avoid a lot of trial and error by being able to ask advice. Also recommend the Bentley manual, and most any other book you can find.

Welcome, and good luck!

Daddio262 Avatar
Daddio262 Bill WEAVER
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
I've got the same situation, picked up a pretty solid 68 Sprite about a month ago, Check brakes, change oil and filter, radiator flush, grease everything, etc. Mine's had a home made paint job in a lilac color that I've never seen on any car! One of the only things I didn't check was valve stems which all had some rot- had to replace a valve stem on the spare tire, too (found out the hard way). But on the bright side, the jack is really broken in. I figure I've got about 6 or 8 good weeks of driving before taking it apart.

Yours does look solid and wow, your dash is a match for mine. Good luck- maybe we can compare notes later. I'm trying to decide whether to return to the original red paint or make a different choice. Still haven't decided.

Poundingsand Avatar
Poundingsand Silver Member Peer Ebbighausen
Los Angeles, California, USA   USA
Bill, I have to say that color is quite nice! It suits the body style in my opinion.

Daddio262 Avatar
Daddio262 Bill WEAVER
Pittsburgh, PA, USA   USA
In the garage, under fluorescent lights, it looks blue in the photo. But believe me, It's UGLY!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links