Success, VROOM, VROOM Noises heard in Beavercreek, OH tonight

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Success , VROOM, VROOM Noises[/b][/size] after I reconnected the Bugsy's Battery Wires correctly. Turned the key, Dash Light, Pulled Starter and a little Choke and Vroom, Vroom. Bugsy woke up from a nap from last October. Car is still on jack stands. Right Rear is making scraping noises and wobbling. Something not right there. Need to check that rubber plug isn’t holding things proud. I also have an extra EN17 axle back in the garage as a spare just in case the axle is bent. Likely the rubber plug standing proud. But Bugsy starts and is running. Now need to pull the wheel and check things and then take him for a Test Ride. Almost 9:00. that may need to wait until Friday night but I am CHUFFED!!! smiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smileysmiling bouncing smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
lewmac Avatar
lewmac Silver Member Lew McAllan
Hawthorn Woods, Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Well done Jim, pleased to hear it.
Cheers
Lew

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
First Start not without problems. Scraping from Right Rear, gets louder as car goes faster, still on jack stands. Wheel definitely wobbling, pull wheel, another issue to discuss in a minute, Drum is not rotating concentrically, loosen brake adjusters and pull drum. Can definitely see what appears to be axle rim moving in and out. Guessing Bent Axle. I have a spare EN17 in back of the garage. Opinions, I don't think it's supposed to be that way. I tried to post a Video but it doesn't want to work for some reason so I can't show you.

Other issue, my new wheels only take 4-5 turns and then I run out of threads. Wheel studs are not long enough to use my new wheels. Who sells longer Wheel Studs and the correct size is?. new wheels are coming off of the car until I get longer Wheel studs. Crap. And they look so nice.

Advice guys.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
stock size is 3/8"-24 X 1 1/2", Spridgetmania has 2" available for ~$3 each.
If you intend on any high G cornering, it is advised that you install 7/16"-20 studs. I know its more work (and new lug nuts) until you drive, but then you won't have to worry about snapping studs.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Thanks Mark have a call into them this morning. 2" studs will
Work. Going to be a PITA but will see if I can knock out old studs and reinstall new without having to rip everything apart. For now on stock BE wheels.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
You'll have to pull the drums, I'm not sure if the 2" will fit without separating the rotors from the hubs or not.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Wheel Studs will be here on Tuesday likely. Now as to the axle question I'll try and resolve this evening, put it all back together and run around on the OEM Bugeye Wheels for the weekend. I still want to feel how the improved brakes and suspension feels. And will be another incremental step once I get the new wheels added to the mix. Gas Tank I now have a solution for the tank with the neck that is too short. will order a Bead Roller to give the clamp something to grip against. All in all I continue to make progress and overcome obstacles in truly putting a 58 y.o. British Car back on the road. Engine and 5 Speed will come in late August and paint over the winter. Spring brings reassembly.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Gerard,

Your trick with reversing the drum absolutely worked ike a charm other than I needs to find some big nuts in my stash of some people call it junk I call it emergency / McGuyver Improvisation Equipment. You never know when you'll need a 5/8" nut that fits over the 3/8 x 24 Stud so you can tighten down the drum. While I had it apart I replaced the 207FF Bearing as it sure seemed like there was an awful lot of side to side movement right in the bearing, nit this was the side I added a Speedi Sleeve on so guessing if Speedi Sleeve wasn't on there the movement would be even worse. 1 7/8" nut is as tight as I can make it I even used my foot leverage to add an extra 1/2 turn in there. Disappointing to see having some leakage from the pinion seal. Will need to keep an eye on fluid levels. Things will all come apart when it comes time to paint anyway. Now back to engine work. Bugsy went off of tune quickly and points slipped. I may have missed putting a lockwasher back in there when I replaced the points. Need to see and if nothing else I can drop in the new distributor and coil. Was saving for the new engine but...I need to go drive.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
First Drive, First Drive this AM. I can report Bugsy successfully made it out of the garage, down to the gas station and had tires set to correct pressures. I set the timing as best as my novice skills levels allow. All ran fine on the way down there about 2 miles but on the way back started losing power and backfiring when I let off the gas. I though I tightened down the dizzy but it may have slipped. Anyway last 1/4 mile was putt, putt, putt and I could hardly make it up the driveway. Clutch worked fine, brakes stop, E-Brake needs to be tightened, no apparent leaks, Normal squeaks, it is a 60 y.o. British Car.

Timing symptoms when it went off , no power down low, backfiring when you let off of the gas, If I could get it up over 4,000 RPM seemed to run fine. Am I too far advanced or too far retarded. Since It ran better > 3,500 - 4,000 RPM and that's where the advance kicks in, thinking I'm too far retarded.

Time for me to take it to local LBC Shop, yes I am fortunate to have a shop 7 miles away, MG Automotive, and have Steve Miller lay some magic hands on Timing and Carbs/

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Too far retarded, as you suspect. BTW, check to be sure that your dizzy isn't broken where the clamp holds it stationary, it's just a cast-in ring and can be broken by over aggressive tightening. Check your lead to the points while you're in there, they sometimes fail. I had a DPO put a solid wire in there instead of the stranded that was OEM, it fatigued and caused an intermittent issue. another possibility is the condensor.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Mark a brand new Dizzy, Coil,wires, cap rotor, from Jeff S. one other thought. I swapped from Positive to Negative Ground, never repolarized the generator yet, and gave had numerous starts and restarts and all other things to draw done the battery. Horn stopped working. It could be I'm right on the verge of running totally out of juice. First step out Bugsy on the charger and then see what kind of voltage battery reads when running.

Nice packages arrived for Bugsy today. New 2" wheel studs from Winners Circke so I can install my new wheels and tires, a set of Weatherpack 6 conductor M/F connectors for the forward tilt bonnet quick disconnect, new gas tank grommets as I messed up the top grommet, new wipers, squirrels and some other bling. Figured out a solution for cutting the neck of the new tank and installing a flip top Lemans Style cap from a Spitfire which will look cool( Thanks again Lew M. For you help). And there are a few more still coming once I get things sorted so Bugsy stays running. Test drive was fun for the first few miles and then I started losing power and barely limped home. No time to trouble shoot tonight. Deliverables for work meeting tomorrow at 9:00 preclude that. Oh well, that means We'd and Thur will be Work froM Home days and garage time in the evening. Bugsy will be running in time fir the next local car show in 3 weeks.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Pulled out my best tool in the Toolbox to check out Bugsy's Timing and Carb Synch Issues. Appointment with Magic Hands at MG Automotive tomorrow. The Best Tool when all else fails, a Credit Card. Yes I could eventually resolve myself but I want to go drive. I think now Bugsy is running well enough to make it 4-5 miles over there to the shop. Really good Vroom, Vroom soon to follow.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
And Bugsy Went Vroom, Vroom once again after Magic Hands were applied. And then he didn't but I know why. Bugsy was very stubborn this AM and I needed to resort to a Flat Bed Tow to get him to the Shop. Biggest issue is rear carb not getting gas. Freed up the float, damn ethanol, Corrected an issue with coil wire, Tuned Carbs. And Bugsy was making excellent noises. Headed home and cranking out gears making nice noises with the Harley Muffler in place and then it happened again. Miss started and I know not getting proper gas flow. Pulling off the gas hose seems like blockage in the old tank, just now pumping gas fast enough. So Solution is get the new gas tank installed ASAP with Lemans CAP(Remember this is the new tank that did not fit), Change out the fuel filter by the carb as well as the one in front of the SU. Cleanup up carb floats and go drive. He was pulling absolutely sweet and singing In a rainstorm on the way home, no top with me, and new wipers in a box on my workbench.

Bugsy will ride again. 

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey 3000

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links