AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rooby Avatar
Rooby Silver Member Phil Crowell
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1958 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Marty"
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
After struggling for access and uttering a few expletives along the way, I finally managed to remove the old siezed clutch slave cylinder from my 58 Bugeye. There was no way I was going to put up with that nonsense while reinstalling, so this forum became my friend.

I saw some great tips on remote bleeding and cutting a slot for the upper bolt to ease installation of the slave cylinder. Finally today, I assembled everything. A length of pipe from the original bleed screw orifice to a three way connector mounted in the engine bay. I attached the 3 way connector using a longer bolt through one of the throttle linkage mounts, and secured it to the bulkhead just below the level of the master cylinder. I popped a bolt and copper washer into the unused hole and a bleed screw in the top.

When I filled the master cylinder and cracked open the remote bleed screw, it took about a minute for clear, bubble free fluid to appear at the bleed screw. I had effectively bled the clutch system using gravity. A couple of pumps on the clutch pedal and everything seems to be working well.

I can highly recommend the remote bleeder, and goodness knows why this wasn't a standard fitting - it's so simple to use. About $20 in parts, and a couple of hours is all it takes. I'll take a couple of photos to show how it looks later, and post them here if anyone is interested?

I'm a happy man and I still have skin on my hands - no more need to go through that ridiculous hole in the transmission tunnel ever again

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Congrats Phil. The other alternative is a Datsun 210 5 speed as Slave can be reached by from the fender well. But also involves significantly more expense,

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. I learned that trick over 20 years ago and have been doing it that way ever since. Bleeding the clutch issues are probably the top 2 or 3 issues repeatedly discussed on Spridget forums. I'm glad you won't be posting for the next two or three weeks how you still can't get your clutch working right... the finger smiley

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Gambit Avatar
Gambit Gareth Goodchild
Indian River, Ontario, Canada   CAN
Yes, please post some photos!
Cheers!

Rooby Avatar
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
In reply to # 193259 by pixelsmithusa Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experience. I learned that trick over 20 years ago and have been doing it that way ever since. Bleeding the clutch issues are probably the top 2 or 3 issues repeatedly discussed on Spridget forums. I'm glad you won't be posting for the next two or three weeks how you still can't get your clutch working right... the finger smiley

I think you have provided most of the information that I used Gerard. I can't thank you enough. As far as not posting questions for the next few weeks, I can't promise that! grinning smiley

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Iron Mountain, Michigan, USA   USA
1961 MG Midget MkI "Little Red Rider"
Hi Phil. Please provide a few pics showing your set up. I too have been plagued with the same issue. Gerard has been kind enough to assist me as well.

Rooby Avatar
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
As promised, here is a picture of the remote bleeder components. The bolt is fixed through the throttle linkage nut from inside the cockpit. I couldn't source the imperial size in a long enough bolt so I used a 6mm bolt, which is slightly smaller. The nut on the 3 way mounting takes care of securing the throttle linkage. The bolt and crush washer fill the unused orifice. I just happened to find this one in my collection. It's actually from a child seat fitting kit from about 30 years ago - I knew it would come in useful one day. It has the added benefit of holding the clutch hard line in place too.

Bleeding is simply a case of loosening the bleed screw and letting gravity do the work.

Attachments:
20170722_160554_001.jpg    65.6 KB
20170722_160554_001.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Phil. Much appreciated! You a plumber by chance? LOL!

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
another question Phil. Where is the location of this bleeder? Between the M/C and the slave?

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Chuck,

A remote bleeder is simply the addition of a hard or flex line into the original bleeder location on the slave. The other end is simply affixed in an easier to access location higher up in the engine bay, and the bleed screw locate there instead. Elevating it far above the slave, usually about the height of the battery tray, serves to make the bleed process quick and simple.

In reply to # 193435 by Chas 906 another question Phil. Where is the location of this bleeder? Between the M/C and the slave?

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Rooby Avatar
Sydney, Australia   AUS
1966 MG MGB MkI "Ruby"
In reply to # 193435 by Chas 906 another question Phil. Where is the location of this bleeder? Between the M/C and the slave?

Hi Chuck,

They say that a picture paints a thousand words, so here goes. Apologies for the simple drawing but that's all I can manage on my Android tablet at the moment. As Gerard says, it's really only an extension of the bleed screw.

Attachments:
remote bleed.jpg    6.2 KB
remote bleed.jpg

Chas 906 Avatar
Chas 906 Chuck Peterson
Thanks Phil. I get the idea.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links