AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

leons278 Leon S.
Essex Fells, New Jersey, USA   USA
Hi,
Owner of a 1967 Mk III here.
I was wondering what the community would make of the idea of trying to create a rumble seat integrated into the rear of a Sprite.
Any ideas, comments, concerns?

- Leon

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-16 07:35 PM by leons278.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Not enough room for adult size legs. And the cops would have a fit if they saw a kid perched back there. sad smiley

leons278 Leon S.
Cops may have a fit, but open carriage laws in America mean it would be totally legal.

Also, engineering wise, I think if you added a double or triple hinge to the trunk and very utilitarian seat, one could make it such that a humans legs could crampedly fit.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
leons278 Leon S.
The design would entail reinforcing the boot lid and even possibly incorporating an easy and small hydraulic mechanism, while the seats and back rest are incorporated into the boot lid and are rear facing like some golf carts. The passengers legs go into the boot itself.

Ben M Avatar
Adding 300 pounds (two adults) behind the rear axle would seriously affect the handling.

leons278 Leon S.
It may have negative effect on handling; however, the ability to fit one to two more extra people if even for a short drive seems like an enormous benefit no?

Perambulator David D
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-20 02:28 PM by Perambulator.

Gundy Avatar
Gundy David Harrison
Pumpkintown, USA   USA
1960 Austin-Healey Bugeye Sprite "Screamin' Mimi"
In reply to # 193386 by Perambulator

Those were different times. I once had a cop pull me on a highway because my girlfriend
was sitting on the pillow I put on the tunnel. There were no seatbelt laws. When I mentioned
THAT he said get a room or get a ticket. Made me put the pillow in the trunk of the '67 Sprite.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links