Bugeye Vintage Racer from Scratch.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
So here is a catch-up and beginning all in one.

My name is Dan and I used to race Vintage in a silver blue(Healey Blue) Bugeye. I ran a mostly Brit restoration shop in a suburb of Atlanta. My wife of 46 years got sick. We came on hard times and sold the car to pay bills. She passed 3yr ago. I closed my shop and tried not to think about racing. I kept all my tools...and I had EVERYTHING, plus an abandoned BE race car tub.....all in storage.

Dawn of a new day.
Found out that the world was still a great place, My church family had held me up. I am healthy, my son and new daughter (i leave out the "in-law" because she is such a prize) gave me my first grand daughter. Dating a nice Christian lady. Life is good.

The announcement:
My son and race partner(he had his own BE vintage racer, although he stored his and did not sell his) announced WE were going racing again. ????? He told me I had to build a new car from my leftovers. I am retired and on SS. $$$?? That was 6 weeks ago. I went to work building components. Then I dug the tub out of storage and brought it home to my shop. Two weeks ago I spent 2days solid welding up holes, cracks and updating the roll bar with a diagonal. Last Sunday I painted the tub Healey Blue with $99 paint I bought off ebay....... so I could have a place to hang all the parts I was restoring. Have unpainted doors.

I don"t have a bonnet worth anything. Hoping I can piece two bad ones together or find a better one. Monday I mounted the steering rack. Tuesday the steering shaft. Wednesday I turned a street dash into a race dash( plugged one big hole and added another 2 inch hole). Last night I covered and hung the dash.

I am computer Ignorant and I'll post a few pictures to catch up as soon as i figure out how to post pictures from my phone, I'll tell you where and what I get parts wise in case someone else wants to build one too.

Thanks for looking.

Dan, otherwise known in Atlanta as BritCarDoc

Parts I still need(this will be an ongoing part of the thread)
1. Offset Quarter Elliptic Rear Springs
2. 13 row oil cooler
3. Repairable Bonnet.( I am a master fabricater and welder) cheap of course.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Ben M Avatar
Sorry about your loss, but happy to hear that you're once again enjoying your life. Congrats on getting back into the hobby; with your experience and friends the car will come together. Keep the faith and parts will appear as needed, and remember, you're not on a deadline, take it easy and enjoy the journey.

Lotusnut Silver Member Don Freeman
Loudon, Tennessee, USA   USA
Dan
I'll keep an eye on your thread. I'm restoring a '59 Frogeye and "upgrading" some components. Got a few components left over.
Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-22 08:08 AM by Lotusnut.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Well, little to report tonight. Today, real work took all I had. Finishing up a MGB, off the road for years due to the efforts of two good ole Chevy boys. Did move a friends Bugeye into the shop to put new floors in. Got as far as putting it on a roll around adjustable elevated metal cart and stripping out the carpets. Gives me access top and bottom. Will cut and fit floors. Then welding. This job will help get me a set of wheels for the racecar project. Anyone else in driving distance of Atlanta need floors in any Brit car...I'm your man. TR-6's are the funnest. LOL Cannot tell you how many I have done over the years. Should have kept count. Same for engines.....should have kept count. Love big Healey engines...4 and 6. Chevy truck cab floors and B post area repairs are a breeze. Did you know welding will give you a sunburn if you are not careful...says the redheaded, blue eyed, fair skinned Irish man ?

Good night, have McEachern CarCare in the morning. Look it up. We repair cars for the needy at a beautifully equipped church facility. You cannot keep even a minimum wage job in Metro Atlanta without a car. Thats where we come in. I'll tell you the story of how I got hooked up with CarCare one of these evenings...really funny story that may have saved my life. They are all my buds.

Buy me a beer and I'll tell you how I beat Sterling Moss racing in the Bahamas. My only claim to fame.He also beat me all the other times. So......

BritCarDoc

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
IMG_0931.JPG

Attachments:
IMG_0932.JPG    41.4 KB
IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG    44.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Finally figured out how to upload a picture from my phone. Old dog....new trick. LOL

Attachments:
IMG_0927.JPG    44 KB
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG    37.5 KB
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Got a really great assortment of Gr 8 fasteners from an outfit on ebay: Warren Fasteners. North Charleston, SC 843-554-1562. Cheap too....have you tried to buy fine thread, Gr8 at the store lately? Horrors!!!!

Parts I still need(this will be an ongoing part of the thread)
2. 13 row oil cooler
4. That black plate that covers the brake master hole over the passenger footwell , about 14x5 with 10 1/4 inch holes.Cannot believe I dont have one with all this junk in my garage.
5. Have a steering wheel, need an adapter to the steering shaft...any brand will do, I can drill and tap it to match the small steering wheel.
6. to be determined but I know there will be something.

CarCare went well today until I had to run to the hospital to see about a friend with kidney failure. Prayers needed there.

More pics later, Dan

BTW Birthday last week, I am 71....ought to know better!

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
OK want list No.4 "found" ....had one, poor shape in primer now.

Lotusnut Silver Member Don Freeman
Loudon, Tennessee, USA   USA
I have:
Dynamo
Voltage Regulator
Tach
Fuel Tank (Evaporusted)

Other misc. stuff

Good Luck
Don

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Rebuilt the tripple Tilton brake/clutch set that came with the tub I just painted. One more step towards my impossible goal. Will add them to the tub and start running brake lines. I have a Brit flareing tool and lots of brake line and old fittings.

Have an old Mallory Rev limiting Tachometer. BUT have you seen the price of new 2" gauges for the other stuff? Going for 4 little (2 inch) gauges: electrical water temp, mechanical oil temp, mechanical oil pressure, electrical fuel pressure on the dash. The two electricals are to make an engine swap easier and to keep pressurized gas out of the cockpit

Rebuilt a 455 differential from my attic. The plannetary is welded...cannot afford a $800 limited slip. The last one I had was from an old Mini...took a little machining to put it in a Sprite ...but just a little.

Still the most illusive part is an old set of Quarter elliptic offset rear springs to clear the wider wheels I don't have...LOL. You might have a set and just not know it. They look like half a set of leaf springs with a "dogleg" in and back out to clear rear wheels. Thinner too...usually only 2 or 3 leafs. Want to get it on its feet. On a cart now. I'll use stock wheels for transport and storage.

Before(when I had a job and a little money to spare) I bought shorter, high rate front springs....wonder if cutting down a set of stock springs to 8 inches(length of the race springs) achieves the same thing. I do know it makes them a higher rate. Would have to bevel the last coil. I'll do that if it is the last thing I need in the front end to finish.

Adding a new section......

Parts I have found in my stash I don't need:
1. Lots of rear axles.
2. extra differentials.
3. A factory Bugeye, MkII hardtop. Complete with real glass rear window and all the latches and mounts. Might trade it for something important.
4. Several sets of side curtains.
5. A wire wheel, front disc brake setup with rear wire wheel parts. Rusty but everything you need.
6. Stock sway bars.
7. Generators with tachometer drive take off.

You name it, if it is for a bugeye I probably have it. Just ask. I cannot use all this stuff in one lifetime.

Parts I still need(this will be an ongoing part of the thread):
2. 13 row oil cooler ( should have one of these but haven't found one)
4. That black plate that covers the brake master hole over the passenger footwell , about 14x5 with 10 1/4 inch holes.Cannot believe I dont have one with all this junk in my garage.
Found it and am painting it !!
5. Have a steering wheel, need an adapter to the steering shaft...any brand will do, I can drill and tap it to match the small steering wheel.
6. 3/4 inch sway bar. Have everything but the bar.
7. to be determined but I know there will be something.

Baby sitting my 2 yr old red headed, blue eyed, map of Ireland grand daughter today. Welding new floors into my best bud's Bugeye tomorrow. Try to post some pictures tomorrow now I have figured out how.

Hope everyone is as lucky to be alive as I am this beautiful summer day in rural Gawga ! Now go look in your stash.

Your humble servant, BritCarDoc

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-07-26 12:26 PM by britcardoc.

62.AN6 Avatar
62.AN6 Nate B
Parker, CO, USA   USA
Keep up the good work!!

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Dan- I had an incident with one of my shelving units this weekend, and ran across the 16 row oil cooler that I'd sourced when I was going to build a vintage MKII racer. Brand new with -10 fittings, also the remote filter housing, the takeoff plate for the block, and an AN-10 fitting for the return line to the block and all the AN-10 fittings that might be needed for braided SS lines. the only thing missing is the -10 braided line (the really expensive part). Do you have any interest? I'm in need of a pair of the later (Weathershield) side curtains.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Well Hello everyone, sorry about the break. Babysitting today...I'll try to post pictures.

Well I went to put ends on the rack(already mounted to the tub) and one of the stop nuts was frozen. Tried Kroil, tried heat, was about to cut it but tried my 1/2 inch killer air wrench with a deeeeeep socket and mercifully it broke loose. So it only took an hour to spin on two tie rod ends!! LOL

The great news of the week is that a really nice guy in Memphis came up with a set of offset quarter elliptic rear springs complete with mounting hardware.They arrived yesterday evening after watching the driveway all day!!

My newest quest is for a "80's bug shield. I used to make the nicest tinted race windshields from some 80's bug shield turned around and trimmed. They were almost straight, side to side. I do not remember which truck or van and they are probably out of production now anyway. Does anyone know who would have old stock with a late 80's Ford Econoline bug shield in stock? I think that was it or a Chevy van from the 80's.

Going to try to post some pics. If it doesnt work on this computer, I'll do it from my home computer later.

DD

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Sorry about the delay.....building is more fun than posting. LOL

Attachments:
MVC-720L.JPG    53.9 KB
MVC-720L.JPG

MVC-721L.JPG    51 KB
MVC-722L.JPG    45.7 KB
MVC-723L.JPG    41.6 KB
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
So now I am really into it! Found the offset rear springs, Thanks Rob H. Cleaned them, re-arched them, alittle paint and on the tub. Working on the front suspension. Need shortened (8inch) stiffer front springs. Need 3/4 inch sway bar.

Building up the rear axle. Have 4.55 welded dif. Want a Salisbury, clutch type LSD but such $$$$ for new! Current new ones are $899. Can be from a vintage Mini too. any used ones out there? Don't want Detroit locker or Quaife for road racing.

Current real challenge is the bonnet. Cut out the rust. Fabricate the patch. Weld in the patch. Grind the welds. Repeat. Such fun. The really red rust in the picture is just flash rust from blasting. Comes right off with sanding. Bonnet was rough. Getting closer. Don't mind the metal work but hate the body work...fill, sand, prime, fill, sand .....

BTW since we last talked I re-bottomed Bill K's 59 Bugeye. Anyone needing proper welded, sealed and primered floors, sills, quarters, etc. within driving distance of Atlanta Metro...I'm your man. Quick turnaround. Your parts or Moss account.

Parts I still need(this will be an ongoing part of the thread):
1. GOT EM ! Offset Quarter Elliptic Rear Springs
2. 13 row oil cooler ( should have one of these but haven't found one)
3. GOT IT! Repairable Bonnet.( I am a master fabricater and welder) cheap of course.
4. GOT IT! That black plate that covers the brake master hole over the passenger footwell , about 14x5 with 10 1/4 inch holes.Cannot believe I dont have one with all this junk in my garage.
Found it and am painting it !!
6. 3/4 inch sway bar. Have everything but the bar.
7. Good L/H front shock.
8. Race front springs, should be about 8 inches tall. Stock are 9 1/4 inch. Could cut down a pair but such work and not good contact on the cut end even with lots of grinding.

More later. Thanks for all the messages and help.

Dan

Attachments:
MVC-724L.JPG    70.1 KB
MVC-724L.JPG

MVC-719L.JPG    68.2 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links