Bugeye Vintage Racer from Scratch.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
I take it you will be installing disc brakes? Also what carbs are proposed?
There are some companies in UK -$ v £ very good just now- that
specialize in "minis". Some of the "mini" stuff is useable

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 194531 by britcardoc Sorry about the delay.....building is more fun than posting. LOL

Dan,

Really beautiful work! I like that Healey blue a lot.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.
threadless Avatar
threadless Silver Member Erick M
San Antonio, TX, USA   USA
Dan,
A reputable seller on MGexp.com has a steering hub among some other parts. I don't know the exact details, but I think it would be late midget or MGB, maybe he can help you out. I also saw an MG Midget steering wheel on ebay for around 40 that included the nice alloy Grant steering hub. It has three 1/4-28 tapped holes and is great for fabricating--this is what I modified to mount my Les Leston wheel. Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

Here's the link: http://www.mgexp.com/phorum/read.php?42,3570715
Erick

mikemckay Mike Mckay
Jesup, Georgia, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite
1973 MG Midget "Smidge"
2017 Fiat 124
Hey, that bonnet looks familiar!

Mike

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Wow. After a little fabricating and welding...This turned out to be a pretty nice bonnet after all!!

Now comes the part I enjoy less...filling, sanding, priming, sanding, sanding,........

Tomorrow is another day.

Attachments:
MVC-725L.JPG    52.9 KB
MVC-725L.JPG

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Wow. After a little fabricating and welding.....This turned out to be a pretty nice bonnet after all!!!

Now the part I enjoy less...filling, priming, filling priming, sanding, sanding.......

Tomorrow is another day

Attachments:
MVC-725L.JPG    52.9 KB
MVC-725L.JPG

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
The bonnet turned out to be pretty nice

Attachments:
MVC-725L.JPG    52.9 KB
MVC-725L.JPG

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Sorry for the tripple post...would not display for me.

Yes Mike, that bonnet plus a little fabrication and a lot of welding, is your contribution to the project.

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Carb is 40DCOE Weber, Cooper S mechanical adv. distributor. Have to find a thicker sway bar and front springs. Got a steering wheel adapter but it will not fit the bugeye shaft which is smaller than collapsable steering shaft on later Spridgets. Oh well, keep looking.

Ready to fabricate front hinges for hood...anyone got patterns?

Thanks for your interest.

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Not much of a picture but it represents a milestone!!!

Rear end under the car!!!

Built up diff housing, new brakes, plummed, shoes, rear shocks, offset quarter elliptic springs and 455 chunk.

Now I need to do a Panhard rod to keep it all under the car during hard cornering.

Driveshaft and tranny are ready. Just need to add clutch fork and slave and new tranny mounts....hmmmmm.....forgot to order those. Oh well, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Still need oil cooler(13 row), front coil springs(short, 8" tall) and steering wheel adapter for small early steering shaft. nice wheel. BTW have tap and die to chase nut and shaft threads with. They always seem to be boogered. LOL

Later, Dan

Attachments:
MVC-726L.JPG    34.4 KB
MVC-726L.JPG

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Dan,
You're making great progress and it looking good!
Rut

SpriteGirl Avatar
SpriteGirl Beth B
Decatur, Georgia, USA   USA
1962 Austin-Healey Sprite "The Little Green Beast"
1970 Honda Street "GoodKat"
1993 BMW 325is "Sebastian"
1999 BMW 328i Sedan "Maia"    & more
Wow Dan, that's looking great!

"Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing." -Helen Keller

britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
My only limitations are time and money! LOL Remember what the British philosopher said: "Work is the bane of the leisure class!"

Mitty at Road Atlanta this weekend....guess I wont make this race. Tranny is installed. Another milestone.

Now to freshen an engine. That will have to wait till I get a smoothed and painted bonnet.

Doing the bodywork on the repaired bonnet. All welding and metal replacement are done. Did I mention I don't enjoy body work? It takes time and patience. Wish I could swap it out with a body man for something.

Making a set of front hinged bonnet hinges. It all came back to me. Simpler than the nice commercial ones and no stop link. Time and thick Al sheet I had. Found the bonnet closure springs and latches on ebay.

Still looking for:
A pair of lowered front springs.
A pair of Minilite wheels to match the pair I have. These are the aluminum ones with the three ribs on each spoke,
Steering wheel adapter for the smaller non-collapsing steering shaft, I have one for the later shaft. Maybe I should just change out steering shafts. I found a later collapsing one in my attic...otherwise known as Aladdin's Cave.

Yankeedriver Avatar
Yankeedriver Platinum AdvertiserAdvertiser Joel Young
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA   USA
In reply to # 194877 by britcardoc Still looking for:
A pair of lowered front springs.
A pair of Minilite wheels to match the pair I have. These are the aluminum ones with the three ribs on each spoke,
Steering wheel adapter for the smaller non-collapsing steering shaft, I have one for the later shaft. Maybe I should just change out steering shafts. I found a later collapsing one in my attic...otherwise known as Aladdin's Cave.

So, although they presently say N/A on their website, Moss did stock (and may again) the 340 lb. rate, 1-1/4" lowered front springs you see in the attached pic for my car, part no. 264-605. You might call 'em up and see if they'll be getting a new batch in. They really improved the handling.

Joel

Member Services:
Innovative DIY performance and reliability upgrades.

Attachments:
Placitas top down.jpg    59.1 KB
Placitas top down.jpg

Platicas top down (4).jpg    60.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
britcardoc Dan Dougherty
Marietta, GA, USA   USA
Weekly update: Well there is little but much to report. Did I mention "I do not like doing bodywork" yeah, guess I did. However all my paying projects have been stalled for parts deliveries so I took out my frustrations on the bonnet for the racecar. And it is almost there. There being all the bumps and divots filled, smoothed and primed. Pretty soon I will be to the "good enough" point. That's the point where it is really good but you could nit pick it just one more round. Bodywork is lavished time. Had more time for the bonnet this week than I anticipated and now I can at least see the end. A picture is meaningless now. Just a bonnet with no rust, primer and little patches of pollyester glazing putty. Those of you still using lacquer based spotting putty...stop! It is slow to dry, cracks as it ages.

Made the hinges for the front hinged bonnet. Now which doors do I prep, I have a few?

My son and I visited Road Atlanta pits Friday for the HSR race weekend. The hurricanes wiped out the field. One Bugeye and one square body. Visited with old friends. I really want to get back at it. This would have been a great weekend to go back. Lots of track time and little traffic. Sorry HSR. It is hard to think about vintage racing if you are trying to put your house back together.

I finally pulled the trigger on rebuilt front shocks with up-rated valving. Sent cores off. Suspension and handling is second only to brakes. Should hear from WI soon.

Still looking for: Real race front springs. Limited Slip unit. Then....all the stuff I will have to buy.

Rome was not built in a day and they pillaged the known universe to pay for it. LOL

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links