Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sloffie John Sloffie E
Ridgefield, CT, USA   USA
Hi,

I picked this car up a few weekends ago, doing a street restoration/weekend driver. I've restored several street and race cars, so the fun begins.

Sloffie

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
image.jpeg    56.6 KB
image.jpeg

image(1).jpeg    41 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sloffie John Sloffie E
The car without the factory jack, so I picked this one up. I'm been looking for pictures to try and color match not Concours but close to the way it was delivered with the car and the correct mounting location is the trunk. Any feed back or pictures would be appreciated, Thanks.

Sloffie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-31 07:12 PM by Sloffie.

Attachments:
Jack.jpg    42 KB
Jack.jpg

Sloffie John Sloffie E
Never mind, did a little research and found the color is correct on the Jack winking smiley

Previous owner had a nice horn button, in the second pic found this in the parts bin that came with the car, it need a refreshing looks like the last pic now.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSC_5950.JPG    33.2 KB
DSC_5950.JPG

DSC_5956.JPG    39.7 KB
DSC_5960.JPG    42.3 KB
Sloffie John Sloffie E
Seats were in bad shape, used a little of my vinyl material resto technique, before and after. I was going to buy new covers but they came back to life.

Attachments:
DSC_5944.JPG    55.1 KB
DSC_5944.JPG

DSC_5948.JPG    58.5 KB
Sloffie John Sloffie E
More tear down, pulled these guys apart put the hard parts in my tank over night, both were frozen solid. Considering the price of a rebuild kit for an SU, with all the linkage, the unusual parts/design and the fact that even if you rebuild them correctly if they aren't synced the motor still will not perform well, I can understand why a lot of guys just swap them out for a single Weber. If I end up going that route, I'd at least use a side draft Weber, it looks period correct.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 09:13 AM by Sloffie.

Attachments:
DSC_5919 (2).jpg    77.5 KB
DSC_5919 (2).jpg

DSC_5908 (2).jpg    65.7 KB
westfield7 Silver Member Michael Wooten
In the path of Totality, SC, USA   USA
1983 Westfield Seven "Green Car"
In reply to # 194603 by Sloffie Seats were in bad shape, used a little of my vinyl material resto technique, before and after. I was going to buy new covers but they came back to life.

John,
Would you explain your technique please? I need to work some magic on my seats.

Sloffie John Sloffie E
For Vinyl seats only, I use three different products, first is a heavy duty cleaner Z-Cleaner (found at West Marine) spray it directly on the seat and let it soak in for a minute or two, then with a really soft plastic bristle brush (I use ones from Harbor Freight) softly scrub in all different directions to get the grit out of the vinyl grain. Wipe down the seat with a clean paper towel, keep replacing the sheet of paper towel or you'll just wipe the dirt back into the seat. You'll really need to get into it on the seams and stitching areas to get them clean. Once they appear clean, I then wipe down the seats using paper towel with 303 Tonneau & Convert Top Cleaner, it's a milder cleaner (if the seats are in poor material condition I skip the first one and start with the 303). Keep repeating this process until the paper towels are clean then wipe down the seats with wet (use pain water) paper towels to remove any cleaning product. Finally I use Mothers VLR, with a micro cloth, it has neatsfoot oil and lanolin, it helps restore the color, conditions and protects against drying, fading and cracking. Really wipe the seats down good to remove any residue. I never use the Armor All products, they typically leave too much reside and make the seats slippery.

Good Luck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-03 12:58 PM by Sloffie.

Attachments:
Z-cleaner.jpg    6.7 KB
Z-cleaner.jpg

303 Tonneau & Convert Top Cleaner.jpg    6.9 KB
Mother VLR.jpg    6.7 KB
Sloffie John Sloffie E
One more cleaning tip, I seen so many convertible cars with dirty and clouding Vinyl top windows. This stuff is amazing PlastX by Meguiars, first wipe them down with a cleaner dish washing liquid in a bucket works well to remove dirt, then add some PlastX on to a micro cloth, and polish the window the same way you wax a car.

Attachments:
Plast X.jpeg    18.2 KB
Plast X.jpeg

westfield7 Silver Member Michael Wooten
In the path of Totality, SC, USA   USA
1983 Westfield Seven "Green Car"
Thank you!

Sloffie John Sloffie E
The Carbs needed a second soak in the Hydro Tank, but they cleaned up pretty good. Decided to let my son take the lead on the Carb rebuild, they came out really nice everything works smoothly. These buggers have a real interesting design, we'll see if they work as cool as they look.

A quick shout out to Moss Motors, it really makes it a pleasure to restore a car your not familiar with especially when you have a top notch supplier with great tech info! Cheers!!!

Attachments:
DSC_6013j.jpg    26.5 KB
DSC_6013j.jpg

DSC_6012j.jpg    26.7 KB
Sloffie John Sloffie E
After a total review of the car, my son and I have decided to go with a 60's/70's race car tribute. She's had the typical work done over the years, I'm going to stick to a budget an not go over board with a restoration. I love classic race cars and miss racing around in my Autodynamics D-13 FV I'm using her for inspiration.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 08:19 PM by Sloffie.

Attachments:
D-13.jpg    89.4 KB
D-13.jpg

Sloffie John Sloffie E
The car has, as many do... has some wiring issues, so we're starting with the dash. Besides needing a really good facelift, most of the switches and gauges were not even connected.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-11 08:20 PM by Sloffie.

Attachments:
DSC_5936 j.jpg    36.4 KB
DSC_5936 j.jpg

DSC_5989 j.jpg    51.5 KB
DSC_5995j.jpg    68.7 KB
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
A new Hardness from AH Spares in the UK will solve a whole lot of the issues with green wiring, And the price is good last I checked even though the exchange rate is not as good as 6 months ago. Ordered something from them on Thursday and UPS tried to deliver it today. Stuff gets shipped DHL 2 Day with UPS doing the final delivery.

Sloffie John Sloffie E
My son worked on the dash, came out really nice, a little wet Brillo does wonders for gauge bezels, it just needs to stay saturated to avoid scratches. Then a little metal polish and they look great. He also cleaned up all the switches, and started fixing all the wiring. We're rewired tons of cars, everything is soldered and shrink wrapped, all with marine grade connectors, just like all our race car builds.

Attachments:
Dash.jpg    23.5 KB
Dash.jpg

Sloffie John Sloffie E
Started doing a mild resto on the engine bay, it was a little shabby when we got her. Also found the master was leaking so while I was at it pull the pedal cluster so I can also do a little detail on it.

Attachments:
DSC_5863 (2).jpg    55.3 KB
DSC_5863 (2).jpg

Sprite 65 engine.jpg    46.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links