Typical Tire Pressure?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MrMGtd randolph biallas
Louisville, CO, USA   USA
I know that there can/is a range of tire pressures people use/mfr recommended but just looking for what others run their Frogeyes/Bugeyes at for general combination highway/town use.
Car is a '61 Bugeye with 1275 engine, 60 spoke wire wheels with tubes.
Tires are General Tire Altimax RT's all around. Can't find any "recommended" running tire pressure for them anywhere online. Only can find a "max" pressure of 41-51# which doesn't help any.
Currently have them all at 32# (or thereabouts) cold.
Oops forgot to add, did a forum search but came up with nothing, which surprised me for this topic.

Thanks!
Randy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-07 04:07 PM by MrMGtd.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Randy,

32 psi is waaaay too high. I run mine at 18 front, 20 rear. My '72 Midget runs a little higher - 22 front 24 rear.

Rick

Ben M Avatar
It would be a good thing for you to get a copy of the Driver's Handbook. It would include tire pressures and a lot of other information that would come in handy for you.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BlueMax1 Avatar
BlueMax1 A G
?, ?, USA   USA
Bugeyes ran bias tires so, the tire pressures would be different than the radial tires of today.

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
Not mine. the finger smiley

In reply to # 194794 by BlueMax1 Bugeyes ran bias tires so, the tire pressures would be different than the radial tires of today.

Ben M Avatar
My internet search found a 1959 motoring article where they took a new Bugeye and drove it 6,000 miles. They didn't like the bias ply tires, took them off and had radials installed, and settled on tire pressures of 24/26 for sustained high speed driving.

For average driving, I'd assume that the 22/24 recommended for later Sprites would apply, as they aren't that different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-08 08:21 AM by Ben M.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
I run 20psi front and rear with 185/60-13s, at the autox, I run 18 in the back.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
18lbs front 22 rears. But I put mine to 20 front 24 rear. Max. That's with radials.
Anyone got ideas in putting an inner tube in radials? I have a slow leak-suspect the
steel wheels- but having to cheek tire pressures every week is getting me down.
Thus the logical idea would be an inner tube.

Ben M Avatar
Wire wheel cars run radial tubes in radial tires.

Ben M Avatar
Re: Tire (Tyre) Pressure

Postby Mark T Boldry ยป Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:29 pm

I've used 24 psi front and 26 psi rear on my Spridgets for years. I've tried other pressures and never yet found better pressures for wear, handling and fuel consumption. This is with 145, 155 and 165 tyres. However, if i were doing a long journey with passenger and luggage, I's put an extra 2 psi in front and back.

On the race car with 175 70 13 Yokohamas, I used 22 psi to find the best handling option.

Mark.
Mark T Boldry 948cc Posts: 81Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Ben M Avatar
twas_brillig

12-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Tire pressure info:

From the Haynes manual "MG Midget Austin-Healey Sprite, 1958 thru 1980"

Crossply tyres:
Normal car load: Front 18 psi; rear 20 psi
Maximum car load: Front 18 psi; rear 24 psi
Sustained high speed driving: Front 22 psi; rear 28 psi

Radial tyres:
Normal: Front 22 psi; Rear 24 psi
Maximum: Front 22 psi; Rear 26 psi
Sustained: Front 28 psi; Rear 30 psi

MrMGtd randolph biallas
Louisville, CO, USA   USA
Thanks all!
Forgot to state that the tires were radials.
Didn't think to look at the drivers manual since that would have been in the bias era.
Will for sure knock down into the mid to high 20s.
R

trevorwj Avatar
trevorwj Trevor Jessie
Louisville, KY, USA   USA
That seems awfully low for an autocross ... unless those tires have really stiff sidewalls. I ran a "streetkhana" this summer with low tire pressure and marked up my sidewalls pretty bad. The next day I went back to run it again with increased pressure and dropped from 48 seconds to 45 seconds.

In reply to # 194806 by AN5L8016 I run 20psi front and rear with 185/60-13s, at the autox, I run 18 in the back.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1961 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links