Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

kevrew Kevin Williamson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Hi all,
I just picked up a 66? sprite in really rough shape. The car is titled as a 67, but has the 1098 engine and the stowaway top, so I think it's a 66. It was first titled in June-66, so I'm curious if it still could be built as a 67. Secondly, I did a query with the British Heritage folks and the vin number shows the car to be originally Olde English White, with black interior and top, yet this car is blue, through and through with blue interior trim panels. I can find no trace of white anywhere. The only thing I can think of is that somewhere in it's 51 years, the vin plate was taken from another vehicle. I'd like to get a heritage certificate for it, but if it's not the original car, I wouldn't feel right having a certificate to a "fake" car. Glad to be here and I'm curious to what everyone thinks about this. Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
pixelsmithusa Avatar
In the US, these cars were title when first sold, not when they were manufactured. That's why there are so many '61 Bugeyes, even though there were never any '61 made outside of CKD's in Australia. I wouldn't assume your car has bogus VIN. More likely it had a bare metal respray. Sometimes, though rarely, they certificates are wrong.

Take a look at both your door tag numbers (hinge side), and the number stamped at the top of the footwell (engine bay side) between firewall and pedal box cover. If they are within 1000 digits of one another (usually only a few hundred) it's most likely authentic.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

kevrew Kevin Williamson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks Gerard,
Yes, it may have had a total respray at one time, but it sure is rough now. I checked the number on the left door jamb and it's within 800 of the vin number. I'd like to bring the car back to it's factory original condition. And then drive the heck out of it. Here's what she looks like. Thanks again. This site is great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
DSCN0680.JPG    40.5 KB
DSCN0680.JPG

62.AN6 Avatar
62.AN6 Nate B
Parker, CO, USA   USA
Kevin:

Congrats on the car! They certainly are a ton of fun. Since you are desiring to bring the car back to its original "dress", I thought I'd mention that the seats in your car (picture) are from a later vehicle. The headrests didn't appear until late '67 or '68. Enjoy the car and the process of getting it where you want...

Cheers!
Nate

kevrew Kevin Williamson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks Nate,

I'm looking forward to all that needs to be done. I knew the seats weren't correct when I bought it, but they are trashed anyway. The floorboards are shot, so I just have the seats sitting in there. I'm not sure, but I believe the seat frames are the same, so I just need new foam and covers. Years ago I had a Triumph Spitfire and it was loads of fun. Haven't turned any wrenches yet, just having a blast researching and learning about these cars.

kevrew Kevin Williamson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Got my heritage certificate today. Turns out, my original query to BMM was incorrect. Based on my VIN, they said my car was originally Olde English White, with black interior and black top. I didn't think it was correct, since I could find no trace of white anywhere on the car. My certificate confirmed my suspicions. My car, as built, was Riviera blue with blue interior and blue top, plus all the numbers match my car. So, Gerard was right in that occasionally BMM is incorrect. I'm just happy that the car is all original.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-09-30 09:57 PM by kevrew.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links