Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Cumberland, RI, USA   USA
I very close to the point when I can start putting my Bugeye together. Next week I hope to paint the engine compartment with body color. The underside is ready for undercoating as soon as the weather cooperates. My question is how far to go with reassembly while it's on the rotisserie. I know I won't put the engine or rearend in but I'm thinking front and rear suspension brake lines maybe gas tank.

I just don't want to overload the rotisserie since I store the car sideways for the winter so I can get three cars in a two car garage.

Here's what the rotisserie looks likes.

Thanks Ernie

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0817.JPG    47.2 KB
IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG    65.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Ernie,

Take 3 pieces of 10' Conduit plus 2 Couplers, through drilled so they won't pull apart. Cut Conduit to length and on the third piece cut so you've got enough length to span both sides of the engine stalds. Flatten both ends in a vise and drill and mount conduit to the engine stands. Will keep everything aligned when you move it around the garage or stand it on end. Be sure and through drill the coupler so it can't pull apart.

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
Thanks for the reply Jim but I've been turning the body on the rotisserie for a year and a half and stored it on its side last winter. The two engine stands are tied together at their bases. My question is how much more weight I can comfortably put on it while it on the rotisserie.

If the weather keeps turning it may not matter. I'll probably quit assembling things and have to store it when it gets too cool to work in my garage. I'm going to start with a lot of light weight things anyway. Like all the brake lines and such. I will probably leave the front suspension off until it's on jack stands. Or if the weather holds I'll take it off the rotisserie and just leave my other car outside for the winter.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Brake and Fuel Lines, Gas Tank, Electric Fuel pump, Wiring Harness that's about as much weight as
I'd put on it. There are some wiring harness lines, just easier to reach with car on it's side.

Perdido Avatar
Perdido Gold Member Rut Rutledge
Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA   USA
Everything but the engine, tranny, windshield, interior, top, bonnet and radiator. Weight will still be light enough to pick up each end and remove from rotisserie...I placed two sawhorses under the car, pulled off the rotisserie, lowered to extended jack stands, added tires/wheels, used jack to lower to ground. My wife helped by sliding the sawhorses into position and making sure the jack stands were in the right place when I lowered it.
Rut

rhodyspit75 Avatar
rhodyspit75 Ernie Connor
It doesn’t matter any more. Today I took it off the rotisserie and onto jack stands and platforms I made from 2x10’s and 3/4 inch plywood. I just don’t like jack stands extended as far as they can go. Now it’s at a good working height and rock solid. I just need to clean up the area where the rotisserie was attached and shoot it with primer and paint.

Now I’m going to put the front and rear suspension on and get it on it’s wheels before I quit for the winter.

Attachments:
6D8D366C-7D2C-4320-A7DC-A31BB9D84BBE.jpeg    56.7 KB
6D8D366C-7D2C-4320-A7DC-A31BB9D84BBE.jpeg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links