Fiberglass top

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Shelby69500 Joe V
Roscommon, MI, USA   USA
Ok so this topic has probably been asked, but asking again. I have found a fiberglass top for my 58. I need to do some research or get help if it's old and kind of a value to purchase it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0053.JPG    56.5 KB
IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG    51.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
A good clean up and you may have done very well. I put in some thin rubber inlay
where the hard top met the body work to prevent rubbing on the paint.
The area round the side screens in the one I had did not fit very well.
Also check windscreen clamps. Some of the cheap fiberglass ones are not
lined and can be give rise to a sort of drumming noise. More than usual!
The rear window looks good. On quite a few the rubber has perished and the
window has fallen out. Rear window is usually Perspex. This can yellow
with age. I recall polishing mine out with Brasso!

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
And new ones are available if you are so inclined. Guy has an ad on bugeye.spares.com for new tops as well as windows. Bugeyeguy.com has side curtain glass and all of the seals, window latches, bottom of hardtop to deck rubber seal, and hold down bolts / wing nuts. NFI but I did buy new seals and glass from him. My biggest issue is a primmer on installing window felt. Anyone got an easy how to on window felt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
62.AN6 Avatar
62.AN6 Nate B
Parker, CO, USA   USA
Joe:

From the picture, it looks like you've found a factory hardtop. These (the originals) aren't found everyday. Not sure what your budget is, but its probably worth it to acquire. Will it ad value to the car? Maybe, maybe not. BUT there are folks that tend to seek these things out and are willing to pay good money for them.

Nate

Shelby69500 Joe V
Roscommon, MI, USA   USA
It's very light weight. The car is very bad shape, motor torn apart, bad quarters. Bad hood and fenders. Not sure if the whole things is worth $2000

westburn70 Eric Flack
Glasgow, Lanarkshire, UK   GBR
I rebuilt mine from what was basically the front H frame after I cut out years
of rust. The bits are all available. The rear shroud was the biggest fitting
issue. Someone had rear ended the car.

Shelby69500 Joe V
Roscommon, MI, USA   USA
I have a running car, great car, just not sure if I can pass up a fiber top and a parts car. I do need to know what my top is though. If it's worth the price and if a parts car is worth the price, feels like a gamble

mxp01 Michael Pennell
Brentwood, Tennessee, USA   USA
I purchased a used fiberglass top about two years ago. It was an original top with the original rear glass. It was a bit pricey after shipping. The top has a series of micro cracks in it. Took it to two restoration places and the restoration estimates were cost prohibitive. I eventually purchased a brand new factory reproduction sold by Rodger Ward that looks and fits like new. I tried selling the old one and got no takers. I saved the glass for the new top, but the other went to the scrap heap.

Depending on your level of acceptability, buying and restoring an original hard top can get expensive.

Mike Pennell

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Original factory hardtops have a glass rear window, not Perspex. I've had between 6 and 8 of them, and all had glass rear windows. A perspex rear window would be a replacement window.

Value ranges from $200 to maybe $1500. Price is highly dependent on condition. I would expect one you have pictured to have stress cracks, failed scratched and gouges gelcoat and dried our seals and rubber. In other words, it needs complete refinishing if you want it to look good on a nice car. $200 to $300 is about the max as-is but if you're looking at reselling, it really depends on what someone is willing to pay. $100 may be the most you'll get. However, a rust-free Bugeye that is complete, should easily be worth $2k these days.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
Gerard I think you mean $20k.

pixelsmithusa Avatar
For $20K, you can get a pretty well sorted, very nice condition, running and driving car. No, I meant $2K, and I was talking about a project car like the one pictured in this original post. Above, Joe implies he can have the entire car for $2k. Usually, they are more in the ~$4k range, but there are still some deals out there. I just heard of someone acquiring a complete Bugeye for $1000.

In reply to # 195270 by Jim Gruber Gerard I think you mean $20k.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
I once bought a complete non-running rust free '59 Sprite for $75. It was in 1969 though. smiling smiley

Shelby69500 Joe V
Roscommon, MI, USA   USA
This car has bad sheet metal and a block that is torn apart. Has ok Int. Top is actually decent. It's basically a parts car. I have an all original 58.

Jim Gruber Avatar
Dayton, OH, USA   USA
I bought a Parts Car Bugsy III with last year in Ohio for $400. Scored some nice parts, a much better bonnet, and turned around and re-sold it for a substantial profit that went towards the Bugsy IV Restoration Fund. Car needed new rear springs and a rear bulkhead. I also sold a spare Hardtop in far better condition than the one pictured in that ad for $400.00. In the MidWest that is not a $2k car. Keep looking.

Pics are of Bugsy III which is presently being restored in Cincinnati and the Hardtop is running around locally on another Bugeye that lives close to me.

Attachments:
068.JPG    50.1 KB
068.JPG

070.JPG    44 KB
Hardtop - 3.jpg    18.5 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1962 Austin Healey Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links