AHExp

The Sprite Forum

Original part colours black or body colour like hinges and splash panels.

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RolandB Avatar
RolandB Roland Beernink
Eindhoven, NB, Netherlands   NLD
Hello,

I have been searching through the forum-posts and documentation available to me
But still have some question on original part colours for my early sprite MK II
I attached some pictures with numbers I hope somebody can tell me what the original colour is (black or body colour).

Diagram A
A-18, A-19 Splash plates (Black ?)
A-20, A-21 Black
Diagram B
B-20 Hook ?
B-25 ?
B-30 Pin ?
B-33 Ring ?
B-34 Spring ?
B-35 ?
B-74 ?
B-70 Black
B-12 Hinge ?
Diagram C
C-98 Hinge ?
C 120 ?
C 134 ?
C130 Black.
Diagram D
D-3 Hinge (body Colour)
D-13 ?

I hope someone can help !
Regards,
Roland

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
splash-panels.jpg    16.1 KB
splash-panels.jpg

parts.jpg    35.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
parts2.jpg    43.6 KB
parts3.jpg    19 KB
refisk Avatar
refisk Rick Fisk
Frankenmuth, Michigan, USA   USA
1972 MG Midget MkIII "For Sale $4000"
Hello Roland,

The cars I've owned were configured like this...

Diagram A - all parts painted black
Diagram B - all parts painted body color
Diagram C - all parts painted body color
Diagram D - hinges painted body color, part #13 natural metal color

RolandB Avatar
RolandB Roland Beernink
Thanks Rick,

You confirmed most of my thoughts. I was mostly concerned about Diagrams B and C.

Roland

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
I bought a brand spanking new MK2 in August 1962, and even though it's a long time ago, I agree with the answer on body colour.
Mine was Nurburg white......What colour is yours?

RolandB Avatar
RolandB Roland Beernink
Hello Howard,

Thank you for confirming Rick,
Do you have by any change some old photos of your mk2 that might help me with the correct paint, parts-locations en cable routing..

To answer your colour question , Originally it was White, “Old English white” according to the heritage certificate.
That seems to be right as the original factory crayon text was still in the car over the original paint.
The outside had some other colours in its live . I found white , green , pink and white again with mostly rust-brown.

I did find a mismatch with the heritage certificate.
It states a Red trim. While I had a black interior that is being confirmed by the crayon text in the car “Black Lock Steer column” (Black trim, with locking steering column)
As i prefer the White-Red combination better I will make it a red trim car.. (matching the certificate)

I added some pictures of how I got it in 2001. And the work that I have done the last 10 years or so
(I am very slow, but want to do as much as I can on my own. limited time and a learning curve..).
But almost ready for paint.. a mile stone.

Regards,
Roland Beernink

Attachments:
part1.jpg    40 KB
part1.jpg

Part2.jpg    56.3 KB
BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
From what I've seen, in Diagram A, only the brackets (20&21) were black - the splash panels were painted body color.

-Brendan

gossie Avatar
gossie Howard Gostelow
Queensland, Gold Coast, Australia   AUS
Hi RolandB,

The only photo I have of mine was from 1963 at home with my young brother standing by it.
I can't get pics on this forum for some reason, but I can and will change my avatar so you can take a look at it.
A comment or two on yours......You say it's a 1961, so that would make it a very early MK2 to my way of thinking. It also has the correct drilled wheels.....The sills were body color.
In Australia they were still assembling MK1s here and only started to assemble and sell MK2s here officially from September 1962,
I'd been looking at buying a 1960 TR3A in August 1962, and one evening I was driving home in my 1960 Hillman Minx from my girl friends (Now Wife after all these years) and I saw a new MK2 Sprite with New South Wales plates on it ( I never even knew they existed).....I lived in Victoria at the time.
I had a good friend Brian Gould who's father owned a Melbourne Austin dealership, so I phoned him as he worked with his dad, and he said come over as we have a couple here for you to take a look at.......This was early August 1962.
Went to the dealership and they had 2 Nurburg white ones, a dark red one and an Aintree green one that to me then looked an awful color. These cars have in mind were assembled and painted in NSW Australia and all had black interior.
Red one and one of the white ones were sold, so I ordered the spare white one. I was told it could not be delivered until the 1st of September 1962, but I did get a call from Brian and I got it near the end of August.

Hope my prattle helps.......I'll change my avatar.

RolandB Avatar
RolandB Roland Beernink
Thanks Brenden,

I have seen pictures of the splash panels in body colour too. But as I was born 12 years after the introduction of the sprite mk2 ,I never seen one new in a showroom.
I have a book ‘Original Sprite & Midget’ But I there are no pictures of the colour of the splash panels (just one, of a resprayed sprite with the splash panels in body colour).
And as Howard describes They assembled Kit Sprites in Australia, so maybe the paint schema was slightly different there….

Howard, great photo nice to see a vintage picture like that !
I know I have an early version mk2 , it still has the 948cc engine and Front drum brakes. Mechanically it is the same as a MK1 with only the body, and slight dashboard modifications.
The Black sills in the pictures where to hide the bad rust/body work by one if the previous owners.. But will be body color when re-spayed.
It is great to hear the Stories of a 1st owner of a car like this.
(I had to google the Hillman minx, I have heard Hillman before, but had no clue what a Minx looked like)

Regards,
Roland

BMac Avatar
BMac Brendan MacRae
Grass Valley, CA, USA   USA
There are pictures of the body painted splash panels in the Horler book. Check the engine bay pictures on page 59 & 81 - those are definitely body color.

My 67 is pretty original - when it came to me my splash panels had a lot of surface rust but they were tartan red just like the body.

-Brendan

RolandB Avatar
RolandB Roland Beernink
Thanks Brendan,

I did see these pictures, i assumed these where re-spayed cars on those pictures and did not want to make incorrect conclusions.
But with these responses you must be right , splash panels where body colour.

Regards,
Roland

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links