Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

harrys healy Avatar
harrys healy joseph harrison
Somerset, Pa., USA   USA
I know this as probably been talked to death here but, I rebuilt 66 sprite engine so I went over the whole car replacing all fluids the end tranny seal was completely gone I knew that when I jacked up the car and the oil just ran out I and it was some kind of gear oil by the smell, the shifting was notchy but I'm no good with trannies and it wasn't that bad when I put it back in I used Valvoline racing 20w50 same as the engine because of the added zinc and phosphorus. the notching is still there and now the grinding is up a little when hot I just double clutch some times I also changed the rear end oil BUT I didn't realize the difference between the new GL5 stuff It's been a long time, so I used something called NANO 75w90 I've only ran it about 60 miles but I got the strangest noise from the back when hot and taking corners it sounds almost like a bad power steering belt or pump. I ordered and got MT-90 GL-4 synth oil and Sta-Lube 85-90 GL-4 hypoid oil my questions witch is best for the rear end an/or the tranny and what could the noise be ? I hope I didn't do something to the rear end.
Thanks for any advice, Joe.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
I've always run straight non-detergent 30W in the tranny, That said, lots of people run 20-50 with no issues. 80w-90 Hypoid in the rear end is correct, it sounds more like you may have either a rear wheel bearing or a diff bearing wearing out. Check as to whether it sounds worse turning left or right (wheel bearing) or if its just on deceleration (typically pinion bearing) or if its all of the time when hot. The stock 4.22:1 rear ends are easy to find if the case bearings are going out.
HTH,

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

pixelsmithusa Avatar
Gear oil is not recommended and should not be used in the gearbox. Regular engine oil can be used in the gearbox, but 30 weight non-detergent oil is correct. Regular engine oil have detergent agents to reduce deposits, but when used in a gearbox, especially and old one, you are going to loosen all the metal particles and other gunk accumulated in the gearbox, and put it into suspension. Yes, it'll work fine, but you'll be subjecting the bearings to all that extra crap that's now floating around in the oil.

Gerard

http://gerardsgarage.com/

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
harrys healy Avatar
harrys healy joseph harrison
Somerset, Pa., USA   USA
Sorry it took so long to respond I had a unexpected funeral to attend out of state. It seems to start squealing when I turn left or right but then it's been keeping it up after I noticed that the PO had the right rear bearing replaced, when looking from the rear of the car forward that is the passenger side right? and it does sound like it's coming from the driver side. Now what size is that end nut and is there a way of getting it off without the socket or wrench, and I see that there is an oil seal in there should that keep the gear oil from getting to the bearing because it didn't on the side that was replaced, and it appears that the garage that did it ordered the Moss bearing kit so it would be in there.
I'm draining the 20w50 from the gearbox and going to 30w non detergent.
Thanks for all the advice and again sorry for the late response!
Joe.

AN5L8016 Avatar
AN5L8016 Mark Haynes
Nederland, Colorado, USA   USA
Yes, Right rear is US passenger's side. the nut on the rear axle housing tube is 1 7/8", and very thin. People have had success with grinding the first 1/8" or so off of the end of a socket to get rid of the chamfered parts of the socket and get full engagement to the nut.This tool modification also allows you to get a proper torque on the nut afterwards.

'58 Bugeye
'66 'Stang

NaDaDawgRacer John Jones
Waxhaw, NC, USA   USA
Just a little FYI for everyone out here there in the world of LBCs. I have been talking with Lake Speed Jr of Driven Racing Oils about transmission oils including a meeting this morning. It started specifically about oil for Big Healey trans with OD oils. I have used 40wt non detergent for over 30 years because that was what I was told to use by everyone who “knew”. Lake had a sample of what I had been using analysized. He found that it had absolutely no additives in it. His and his fellow experts said that that isn’t good but we should not use standard engine oil either and especially not gear oil because of the sulfur in it.
Lake will be formulating a special oil for us. My trans will be the ginny pig and he will analyze the oil after some use. I will keep everyone appraised of the progress.
John

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links